• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Three Shot Pouches

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm very new to leather work, these being my 2nd, 3rd and 4th attempts at the art.
old.jpg
old1.jpg
old3.jpg
old4.jpg
old5.jpg
old6.jpg
old7.jpg
The first bag answers the never asked question: "Where do Carharts go to die?" The body of this pouch is made from the leg of an old pair of well-used Carharts. I made the flap with a double layer of pillow-ticking fringe. This roughly follows Southern Mountain practices cloth-bodied bags with leather flaps and straps for all sorts of materials.

The big leather bag was a gift from a friend that needed a strap. I am not the leather worker my friend is
and I'd never be able to duplicate the tight stitching he used, nor would I be able to match the leather color so I decided that a simple web strap would work. I did wrap the ends of the strap in a very close matching leather to dress them up a bit. I realize that typically game bags have rings for the strap attachment but I see this German-ish pouch serving with my Jaeger rifle and/or my SXS shotgun, I may even make a net bag for it.

The last pouch is a very early style of pouch made with a single piece of leather. The flap is actually the edge of the hide. It was made by folding the leather and stitching up the side and bottom. I did not sew the pouch inside out and turn it, but I did add a welt to the two sewn sides and added a bit of reinforcement at the top edges of the pouch by whip stitching. Unlined and un-decorated. It had a greater depth than the width of an early pouch as well as a simple square shape. This is similar to the style pouch the noted reenactor Mark Baker usually carries.

Last edited:
They are very nice bags! I really like the carhart bag! I’ve got lots of worn out carhart pants, if I only had your ability!

Latest posts

Back