• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tingle rifles?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about Tingle rifles? From the few posts I've seen here it seems like they're pretty well made and accurate? What about replacement parts?

I found one in the back corner of a local gun shop. I was going to ignore it because it seemed like the lock didn't work, but I read that perhaps you have to pull the set trigger before cocking the lock, is that correct?

It's a .50, half stock Hawken style. In nice shape but looks like the hammer screw is a replacement. Bore is used but looks good. Is it worth 350 if the lock works like I think?

Replacement parts for the Tingle will be nonexistent. A hammer screw of the correct thread pinch would be available as that is a common part for many locks.

I'd have to see the rifle to verify is the triggers need to be set in order to cock the lock. That was a common practice back when the Tingle rifles were being made.

In my opinion, if the rifle looks good and the barrel is in good shape, it is worth $350. As always, we recommend that you negotiate and offer $300.

Does anyone know anything about Tingle rifles? From the few posts I've seen here it seems like they're pretty well made and accurate? What about replacement parts?

I found one in the back corner of a local gun shop. I was going to ignore it because it seemed like the lock didn't work, but I read that perhaps you have to pull the set trigger before cocking the lock, is that correct?

It's a .50, half stock Hawken style. In nice shape but looks like the hammer screw is a replacement. Bore is used but looks good. Is it worth 350 if the lock works like I think?
Robert Glenn Tingle (1925 - 1978) owned and operated Tingle Mfg. of Shelbyville Indiana, which made a number of different guns. The most famous was one of the very first inlines, and we won't say more than that. They also made the "1962 Hawken" which is what I think you were looking upon at your LGS.

LD

I’ve seen a handful of them on auction sites. id love to have one but the timing has never worked for me. I think they are very nice rifles.

My first ML rifle was a Tingle .45 half stock I bought in 1968 - s/n 79. It was a very accurate and dependable rifle - I was hard up for cash in 1971 or 72 while in the USMC and pawned it at a shop in Havelock, NC, Sure would like to have that old rifle now!

I've seen a couple of well seasoned examples at gun shows and wasn't that impressed but those could've been lesser, cheaper models with no frills, both were perc. with low grade wood! Just don't know enough about them to help ya!

I purchased a used .45 "Hawken style" Tingle rifle in the mid 1970s in near mint condition after seeing one being shot at a rendezvous. After talking to the owner and seeing how it shot off the bench, I was really impressed by its consistent accuracy. I still have the rifle and a brochure Mr. Tingle published with information on his other products. Recently I saw a later version (in a pawn shop) which was considerably different in stock shape and finish--appeared to have been shaped with a belt sander and had some other "short cuts" incorporated---shop- built sights attached with screws rather than dovetailed, a 15/16" barrel rather than a 1" barrel and a few other less expensive features. I suspect this particular gun was produced after Mr. Tingle's death from parts in the shop or acquired commercially . At any rate, the serial number of mine is 245 (probably the 1962 Hawken model) and the pawn shop gun is 1244, so apparently considerable time passed between the production dates of the two rifles. Based on my experience shooting the 1962 version, it is extremely accurate and worth holding on to.

Well... Y'all are a terrible influence on me.

Went back today. The lock works just fine when operated properly. Bore needs a good dust and fuzz cleaning, but rifling looks great. Picked it up for 250 out the door, with a free gun sock thrown in because it's raining.

Attachments

• KIMG2573JPG.jpg
    KIMG2573JPG.jpg
    779.6 KB · Views: 0
  • KIMG2574JPG~2.jpg
    KIMG2574JPG~2.jpg
    464.8 KB · Views: 0
  • KIMG2575JPG~2.jpg
    KIMG2575JPG~2.jpg
    423.1 KB · Views: 0
  • KIMG2577JPG.jpg
    KIMG2577JPG.jpg
    774.7 KB · Views: 0
  • KIMG2576JPG.jpg
    KIMG2576JPG.jpg
    355.6 KB · Views: 0
My first ML rifle was a Tingle .45 half stock I bought in 1968 - s/n 79. It was a very accurate and dependable rifle - I was hard up for cash in 1971 or 72 while in the USMC and pawned it at a shop in Havelock, NC, Sure would like to have that old rifle now!
Cherry Point Marine SFMF! 74/75MWCS 28

I would say you made a good purchase. I didn't know they made a left-handed version of that rifle, and I would think the lefties would sell at a premium.

I never owned a Tingle rifle, but I remember seeing the ads for them, and it was my understanding they were a good value.

Congratulations on your purchase!

Notchy Bob

I’m happy for you! That’s an awesome rifle! Get it to the range and post some pics of your target please!

Have two of his pistols & extra barrel. Always wanted one of his rifles and most any other Tingle stuff. Was with my father at a gunshow as a wee pup when Dad bought our first pistol off of a display table of all the goodies available for Tingles. I THINK that was Mr. Tingle himself, but it may not have been. You got a very good deal on that rifle. Congratulations.

I would say you made a good purchase. I didn't know they made a left-handed version of that rifle, and I would think the lefties would sell at a premium.

I never owned a Tingle rifle, but I remember seeing the ads for them, and it was my understanding they were a good value.

Congratulations on your purchase!

Notchy Bob
Hmmm... You're right. Most of the others I found pictures of are right handed. The weird thing is I'm a right handed shooter and it doesn't feel off at all. Most LH muzzleloaders I can't even shoulder but the way the cheek weld sits further back on this one I hardly even noticed. Somehow it almost feels better because the hammer is not so much in my peripheral.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back