• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1847 Springfield Carbine Parts

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mross506

32 Cal
Reaction score
I have an 1847 Springfield that is a family heirloom that needs a few pieces replaced. I have found most of the brass but cannot locate the hardware (screws) that are missing. Does anyone know a good resource? I am awaiting to hear back from S&S Firearms.

Would the screws from an 1842 work?

Also, when I attempt to cock the hammer, it does not lock. I am assuming there is something missing in the firing assembly?

Thanks for the help in advance! The rifle means alot to the family and I am looking forward to getting it hung over the mantel.

As for the lock not functioning, a picture of that would help. There are several things that can cause that.

As for the lock not functioning, a picture of that would help. There are several things that can cause that.
There are several pictures attached to the original post. The last one is the internals of the lock. When I try to cock it, nothing happens. There is no felt resistance or half cocking. It's as is the sear is not engaging at all. (But I have absolutely no experience in antique firearm mechanics)

Thanks for the help!

I don't see where the sear spring is bearing on the sear. Try cooking the lock as you push the trigger forward to mimic the pressure of the sear spring on the sear. It should engage the half and full cock notches. We need a better picture of the complete sear v spring showing how it rests on the sear lever.

It appears that the main spring is broken at the curve of the vee.

I don't see where the sear spring is bearing on the sear. Try cooking the lock as you push the trigger forward to mimic the pressure of the sear spring on the sear. It should engage the half and full cock notches. We need a better picture of the complete sear v spring showing how it rests on the sear lever.

It appears that the main spring is broken at the curve of the vee.
Thanks for the info. I will check it out when I get home and send better photos!

Back