• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tingle rifles?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was growing up, my dad had around a dozen or so original percussion sporting rifles with double set triggers. One had been converted from flint. To the best of my recollection, these were all “single-phase” set triggers and they all had to be set to cock the piece, and I think only one of them had a half-cock, with a fly in the tumbler. The hammers on all of the others would be either full cock or all the way down.

Do the Tingle locks have a fly, and a half-cock position?

Notchy Bob

Could you show the right side of the stock? The pawn shop gun I viewed had a "scoop" in the cheek piece area rather than a carved standing proud actual cheek piece. From what I could see in your previous photo of the right side, it appears smooth with no cheek piece or scoop. Just curious. Additionally, the 1862 serial number is about 600 higher than the pawnshop gun---makes one wonder how many rifles did Mr. Tingle produce in addition to the other guns he built.

IMG_3012.jpeg
IMG_3013.jpeg
IMG_3014.jpeg

Here are pictures again of mine. It has a serial number in the 600s

On the top flat of the rifle, I can see in your originally posted pictures, "No. 1892 (which I misquoted as 1862). Is there another number in the 600s someplace on the gun you are describing as the serial number?

That is a very good looking rifle. It looks like an original late plains rifle.
I would agree with that. It looks very traditional. I like all kinds of muzzleloaders, but “plains rifles” and plain old mountain rifles are the ones that really get my attention. These were the last holdouts, as far as muzzleloaders were concerned, overlapping in time with early breechloaders.

The Tingle rifle is true to the type in most respects. I like the poured nosecap, the plain iron ramrod pipes soldered to the rib, the drum and nipple, and the pointy heel on the buttplate. One could nitpick some of the details, but this rifle would be right at home lying across the pommel of a plainsman’s saddle.

The owners of these rifles are lucky fellows.

Notchy Bob

Could you show the right side of the stock? The pawn shop gun I viewed had a "scoop" in the cheek piece area rather than a carved standing proud actual cheek piece. From what I could see in your previous photo of the right side, it appears smooth with no cheek piece or scoop. Just curious. Additionally, the 1862 serial number is about 600 higher than the pawnshop gun---makes one wonder how many rifles did Mr. Tingle produce in addition to the other guns he built.
Hey, sorry, not sure how I missed this until I was reminded about this thread in another.

I don't have any more pictures handy, but you're looking at the one pic of the right side correctly. There's no cheek pad or scallop on the right side of the butt stock, it's smooth and symmetrical to the left.

I have the 600s gun and would only sell it if someone offered way too much money for it. I’m right handed although I have daughters who shoot left handed due to left eye dominance and a left handed granddaughter.

Back