• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tingle Lock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shump

32 Cal
Reaction score
This forum has been great to learn more about everything muzzleloader, so thank you. I recently acquired what has stamped on the lock and barrel H E Dimick St Louis. I know it's not an original, but I was interested in it for a living history presentation to talk about the 66th Illinois Infantry, they were issued Dimicks and similar hawken style rifles to be used as Sharpshooters. After taking a part the rifle and doing a little research on this forum, I believe the base rifle is a Tingle. I found some photos online that has the same lock, barrel and other features that lead me to believe that it was originally a Tingle. I just need some more verification from the experts on here. Thank you very much in advance.
1000009643.jpg

This forum has been great to learn more about everything muzzleloader, so thank you. I recently acquired what has stamped on the lock and barrel H E Dimick St Louis. I know it's not an original, but I was interested in it for a living history presentation to talk about the 66th Illinois Infantry, they were issued Dimicks and similar hawken style rifles to be used as Sharpshooters. After taking a part the rifle and doing a little research on this forum, I believe the base rifle is a Tingle. I found some photos online that has the same lock, barrel and other features that lead me to believe that it was originally a Tingle. I just need some more verification from the experts on here. Thank you very much in advance. View attachment 293097
1000009575.jpg

This forum has been great to learn more about everything muzzleloader, so thank you. I recently acquired what has stamped on the lock and barrel H E Dimick St Louis. I know it's not an original, but I was interested in it for a living history presentation to talk about the 66th Illinois Infantry, they were issued Dimicks and similar hawken style rifles to be used as Sharpshooters. After taking a part the rifle and doing a little research on this forum, I believe the base rifle is a Tingle. I found some photos online that has the same lock, barrel and other features that lead me to believe that it was originally a Tingle. I just need some more verification from the experts on here. Thank you very much in advance. View attachment 293097
1000009576.jpg

The one I had took 1/4-28 like a TC. Pull the nipple and take it to the hardware store. Try it in a 1/4-28 nut. If it fits then just need to get one of about the same cone length.

If it doesn't fit then try some of the metric nuts, fine thread.
Track of the Wolf has a good selection of nipples.

IronHand

The one I had took 1/4-28 like a TC. Pull the nipple and take it to the hardware store. Try it in a 1/4-28 nut. If it fits then just need to get one of about the same cone length.

If it doesn't fit then try some of the metric nuts, fine thread.
Track of the Wolf has a good selection of nipples.

IronHand
Thank you, great information.

Breach plug should be more than hand tight and I wouldn't want that protrusion in the bore. You're going to get fouling built up behind it and /or get something stuck trying to clean it.

Breach plug should be more than hand tight and I wouldn't want that protrusion in the bore. You're going to get fouling built up behind it and /or get something stuck trying to clean it.
I had use a ratchet on it, it wasn't hand tight, but wasn't as difficult as I've seen other ones.

Take your nipple out and measure the thread. Id bet its a 1/4-28 and theyre readily available
Measured it today and it is. I only shoot reproduction Civil war muskets, so I'm going to grab a musket cap nipple for it and see if it works.

Back