• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thoughts on bore diameter in flash liners?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silvertip8k

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Any thoughts on pros and cons of diameter of holes in flash hole liners...say .0060" vs .0080"

I have the horizon line perfect on a new flinter...just know theres folks out there with more knowledge...thanks

The smaller the bore size, the smaller the touch hole....IDEALLY. Doesn’t always work that way. It also,depends on what you’re using it for.
if you’re shooting for X’s, the very smallest hole will net the most consistent results. (Less variation, shot to shot).
If you’re hunting, you want totally reliable ignition, so a little bigger might be better.
The hole is only going to get bigger with use.
I start with 1/16” .0625. Most times that’s reliable, it can be opened up a bit if needed.
Obviously the variables are more critical with smaller bores.

Copy that...it is 60 thou now...using 3f for primer its good...but have had a few misfires...no 4f for sale at the moment...I will try running a 3/32" bit through it...

I did try making some primer powder myself ...a small amount of 3f ground with a small piece of wood on a 3x5 card...its worked real good...

I always open up a liner ro 1/16th inch. I found that size to be very reliable, and its going to get larger with use. Id rather not start out with a flashole bigger than tnat though.

Every liner I've had on a flintlock came with a miniscule "pin hole" and didn't give the best reliability. I started opening the hole up and when I got to 1/16" reliability was near perfect. That's the only size I use.

Of my ten flintlocks I have flash holes that range from.048’-.078”. I have not been able to establish a definitive relationship between bore diameter and flash hole size. As others have mentioned, with one exception, !/16”(.0625”) is my starting point with half my flintlocks using this size. If ignition is not to my liking, I will test upwards with a #51, #52, and a 5/64” drill bit(the largest). Amazingly, my flintlock with the fastest, most consistent, and reliable ignition(on par with any percussion I have used), has a .048” hole in the White Lightning on my W. Braaten/Late Lancaster 50 caliber!! While tempted, I am loath to open it up, even though the small size is counterintuitive to all my experiences. It appears to be the original size of the guide hole, apparent when the White Lightning liner is filed to the barrel flat. Perhaps there is a reason!? At the other end of the spectrum my largest is a 5/64” in my 62 cal Fowler with a White Lightning liner which gives very fast ignition.
0747DDDA-88DD-4CEF-AD5D-A53FAEF87AAF.jpeg7DBADABE-17EB-441B-AB40-26D0F8584516.jpeg

I am not saying anyone is wrong, this is my personal opinion backed by over 50 years of experience. If a person is having trouble getting their flintlock to fire, assuming it is not a sparking problem, the problem is not the size of the hole in the liner but the length of the flash channel in the liner. Except for the Chambers White Lightening I have not seen a commercially made liner that was made what I consider correct. That is an interior cone shape with the tip of the cone within .030" of the outside surface. Ideal would be a knife-edge channel but that is impractical because it would burn out too fast. I consider a 1/16" diameter touch hole to be too big which is why I started making my own liners ( they look like Chambers' liner) over 45 years ago. When my liner burns out to .062 I'm ready to change it. My liners have .057-.058 holes (I bought reamers to get those sizes) and if my priming powder ignites, the gun goes BANG--every time. When I load I have powder grains in the touch hole at the outside surface. I believe a small touch hole diameter increases ignition speed and projectile velocity because more pressure and fire are contained in the barrel where it can do work--ignite more powder and move the ball.

The Half moon on the inner end has a hole to match the touch hole for self priming with the pan cover closed. When the pan opens there is a small gap left in the powder train to the touch hole.
It was a system developed by John Manton to increase ignition speed and IT WORKS.The lock time has been mistaken for a cap gun in the past. The Stainless Steel vent liner has a .075" touch hole backed off on the inside to 3/16".. OLD DOG..

I use white lightning liners and use them as they come with no problems. They even go off without primer most times.
Robby

In late 1970's and through the 80'S , Used to shoot competition w/ .50 X 44" T and F Getz barrelled long rifle. Barrel had a touch hole liner in it . Opened the hole to 1/16 for better ignition. After several hundred rounds , the hole became slightly enlarged. The accuracy was effected , so instead of changing my load , 80 gr. fffg w/ .490 ball , changed the touch hole liner , drilled back out to 1/16 th , and accuracy restored. Touch holes are very important in maintaining performance..........oldwood

1/16 has been perfectly reliable in the flintlocks I’ve assembled.

-Jake

Back