• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Vent Hole Liner

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I figured it may come down to that. I am sure there is still some hard tool steel at my dads house. Its a square piece of steel used to make cutting bits for a lathe. It makes the best easy outs in the world. Just grind to a taper and drive in the hole. The hard steel cuts its own corners and then just twist out the screw with a tap wrench.
Take the barrel out of the stock and put some heat to it from a propane torch. You cannot make enough heat with a hand torch to effect barrel steel heat treat or bluing/browning but you can break the rust grip between the barrel steel and liner threads from the heat expansion.
Heat and penetrating oil work quite well together to loosen stuck threads
I've used this method many times to remove stuck screws , breech plugs and barrel threads.

I figured it may come down to that. I am sure there is still some hard tool steel at my dads house. Its a square piece of steel used to make cutting bits for a lathe. It makes the best easy outs in the world. Just grind to a taper and drive in the hole. The hard steel cuts its own corners and then just twist out the screw with a tap wrench.

No marks on the barrel, pins holes holding barrel to stock are drilled thru the barrel. It has a breach plug .
Are the pin holes actually drilled thru the barrel itself or lugs?
Bummer. That’s a new one on me.
Don’t have the book in front of me, but in Shumway’s ‘Recreating the American Longtifle’, believe a slot through the barrel was called the ‘ultimate barrel loop’ or something similar. This was based on original guns as where most of the suggestions in the book. All depends on the barrel thickness. Thinking about it a minute, believe Buchele and Alexander were also coauthors, but would have to confirm.

Don’t have the book in front of me, but in Shumway’s ‘Recreating the American Longtifle’, believe a slot through the barrel was called the ‘ultimate barrel loop’ or something similar. This was based on original guns as where most of the suggestions in the book. All depends on the barrel thickness. Thinking about it a minute, believe Buchele and Alexander were also coauthors, but would have to confirm.
I have Shumway’s great book, gave it to one of my Sons recently. After @deerstalkert pointed out the use of through barrel pins I’ve been scratching my head to remember if I ever saw a reference to them. Now I remember. Thanks for bringing that up.

Probably for the best.

Yes. It was a Pedersoly Kentucky rifle and I just didn't like how it felt in my hands. And the rifling was so shallow I just didn't take to the gun. And the seller I bought it from wasn't fully forth coming on some other issues. I sold the gun at a $100 loss. Oh well, it happens I guess.

I think the first edition of Shumway’s book only had him as author. Later revised editions included the others. At one point I had two copies with one each way. I don’t remember any significant differences.

Back