• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thinking of taking a walk on the dark side.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfimwalle

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Been giving thought to possibly scoping a rifle for a while. This past weekend I was at a local flea market and spied a very clean looking small bore on a table. It was a Traditions Deerhunter .32 with scope mounts and sling swivels already on it. The bore sparkled when I dropped a bobber light down her. Really didn't need another rifle, but she looked new and was asking $125. I said I could see going $100, he said show me the money.

Any body have any experience with this model ? Load preferences ? Will be using FFF Goex. Have .310 ball and a .311 mold.

Well apparently that is not how you post pictures here.

Having never had scoped a muzzle loader before. How does one go about cleaning ? The traditional drop the breech in hot soapy water method is somewhat more complicated with the scope on her now ?

How is a scoped M/L traditional?

Seems a long trek from the dark side. What are the outer limits of the dark side?

Richard Eames said:
How is a scoped M/L traditional?

Some guys have no choice due to vision problems. I have a couple among the dozen guys that I shoot and hunt with. We can make allowances or show them the door. I been hunting with those guys too many years to boot them out when their eyes go bad.

He did not indicate vision problems, how many folks have scoped M/L because they can?

Why would anyone put a modern scope on a capor flintlock? Isn't that like putting a sexy lingerie on a 100 year old woman? If you need the scope just go modern.
I was recently at a gun show and some feller had a scope on a brass framed Remington pistol. Just out of courosity I asked what he wanted for it--he said 400 bucks "it has a $200 dollar scope on it" I told him the gun without the scope wasn't worth 200 but about 125 and now with the mounting screws drilled into it, it was worth less.
But it's your choice,more power to ya. Just remember when your out in the field using it and getting that head shake from others nearby. Of course those ***** black powder won't say a thing. You can pick up one of those anywhere here in Michigan new for about the same price. And if you wait a while they just about give them away.

Been thinking about it a couple years as I get older. Could switch over to shotgun full time I guess. But yeah it's an eye thing.

For me putting a scope on a muzzleloader is cheating plain and simple. It ranks right up there with putting screen doors on a submarine.

Have you tried a peep sight?

No I have not. Not allowed at local shoots either.

Had the makins for the other laying around, thought I might try it. Does not look as totally hideous as I feared. But then I might not have the delicate sensibilities that I seem to have offended here.

Good suggestion though, may have to give peeps a try on one of more traditional rifles.

Google Morgan James rifles, very traditional looking scoped caplocks some used in the civil war I believe. im almost 50 now and I have to use glasses to see my sights, when im older if I have to i'll put a scope, something close to period if possible to keep shooting/hunting to the best of my ability, just my opinion of course as always.

Any body have any experience with this model ? Load preferences ? Will be using FFF Goex. Have .310 ball and a .311 mold.[/quote]
I had a .32 cva prob bout the same or close and 10/12 grains of 3f would keyhole at 25 yrds and not too loud either 25 grains would do pretty good at 50 yrds with open sights.

big medicine II said:

Having never had scoped a muzzle loader before. How does one go about cleaning ? The traditional drop the breech in hot soapy water method is somewhat more complicated with the scope on her now ?
There are several places that sell a metal plug that screws into the nipple hole. It has a rubber tube attached so the tube can suck up water out of a bucket while the jag/cleaning patch is being pumped up and down the bore.

I suppose if you have a good electric drill and a cobalt HSS drill bit you could drill out an old nipple, add a length of 1/8" rubber hose and be in business. Regular HSS drill bits will work too but the hardness of the nipple will quickly turn their cutting edges to toast.
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/578/1

Last edited by a moderator:
Can accraglass be used to mold a base to align on an octagonal barrel? Ye olde colonial neodymium magnets and bedding compound might make a mount for a low recoiling rifle that's easy to remove for cleaning. There's no reason it shouldn't go back into place in a repeatable fashion sufficiently accurate for a small bore muzzleloader. Certainly better than no shooting for somebody whose eyes are going south. Hmm, that's something I'm worrying more about.

typical

The guy ask a simple question and he gets opinions on aspects that were not asked. Some people cant wait to get on their soap boxes. You know you don't have to respond to every post with off topic opinions that are negative.

If you don't have anything positive to add, please consider simply not posting.

I have put a scope on a traditional ML. It works, the scope mounts are higher to get clearance from the hammer. depending on what you like or need might be a bit high for your or add a check piece.

Fleener

colorado clyde said:
Anybody remember the old octagon clamp on type scope mounts?

I actually have one. I was curious how well some of my guns could shoot and was trying to remove some of my variables. I never actually got around to trying it out.

I have the traditions Deer hunter in 32. It's a good shooter with 20-30gr. My mould drops .310 and I use a .012 patch. I have to swab it every 3rd shot or accuracy goes south quick. I always thought it odd that it is called Deer Hunter but it's a 32 cal.

well, anyone who can score a hundred dollar muzzle loading anything is OK by me.

congrats on you find!

as regards the question of putting a scope on a sidelock, I would posit that while this is not an activity in which I would engage, I support your right to do so if you see fit.

aside question, would one of the long brass tube scopes be even remotely HC/PC on a great plains style rifle? ... don't plan to do it ... just curious

Back