• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thinking of taking a walk on the dark side.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i put one on my white mountain carbine years ago but could not get the scope adjusted far enough to the side to get the cross hairs to were the bullet hit. vertical worked but the horizontal would not. i only tried one time and gave up now you got me wanting to try it again.

You may discuss traditional (pre-1866), scopes, but not modern optics.

2587806_orig.jpg

third_corps07%20Standard%20e-mail%20view.jpg

Scoped_CW_Target_Rifle_Full_R2.jpg

Link Berdan sharpshooters

I have no trouble with someone scoping a rifle , as poor eyesight is a disability. If that allows those with failing or aging eyesight to participate so be it.

There are period alternatives like the tube scopes above, tube sights, tang sights and peeps.

Maybe, but I'm not one. [strike]When[/strike] If I get where I can't use those primitive sights I'll first go exclusively smoothbore. If that comes to naught I'll go traditional (not modern) optics. I would fault no one over doing what they can to keep shooting. How-some-ever, This forum IS prior War Between The States traditional. What the boss man says is what I'll do.

A peep sight is nearly as good as a scope and traditional, too.

If you read through some of the responses by a few here you'll see there are some that just cannot help themselves it seems. It's rather unfortunate, but it's also quite silly as some of them can't seem to figure out why the traditional ways are dying out. Go figure...

Indeed. Even to the point that you shouldn't be loading your .44 cal revolver with anything but a light target load topped with filler (which isn't historical BTW).

First, welcome to the forum!

Second, I'm with Brown Bear. I got a friend who now uses a home-made bench rest to shoot 100 yards since he's had a stroke. NOBODY cares--they're just glad he can still shoot! Some folks oughtta lighten-up a little around here!

Remember Clint Eastwood using a telescopic sight in the movie, "The Outlaw Josey Wales"? As the men & horses were crossin' the river, he cut the rope with a rifle shot & gave them all a "Missouri BOAT RIDE"...........

I also have no problem with "period" scopes. It's the modern ones on BP guns that really bother me. Heck I have one of those screw on crosshairs on my 1863 Remington Contract Rifle(Zouve). Right now thats all I need on it.

I certainly get that too. It doesn't look good to me and is a major clash. But I wouldn't run you down with my truck for it.

I wouldn't do it, and actually do want an additional barrel for my Lyman's rifle with a Malcolm style scope atop for hunting fields and such.

My eyesight has been changing over the past decade or so. Used to be able to do a lot of close work (pocketwatch repair) without glasses, and now I need glasses for close up work. Caratacts are beginning to appear, too.

Nevertheless, I've never been a fan of scopes [except for a particular .22-250 I build 30 years ago].

A lot of people think that all they need to improve their shooting skills is a scope. It's not really true, since I see a large number of folks who shoot just as poorly with a scope as they do without.

And if you have a vault filled with rifles, will you scope them all? Seems foolish

There is a much simpler solution that I'm surprised nobody else has mentioned yet: Shooting Glasses.

I have a pair that I just had made up earlier tiss year. They work with each and every one of my rifles and pistols.

They're cheaper than a typical scope, and don't need to be re-zeroed every time I put them on. They're not historically correct, but then, neither is my GPR or Deerstalker.

Poor Private said:
Why would anyone put a modern scope on a capor flintlock? Isn't that like putting a sexy lingerie on a 100 year old woman?

On a lighter note If you squint your eyes (that you can no longer shoot with) that 100 year old gal might look like Jennifer Aniston (if the lids don't shut before you finish squinting)

Bob

Recently saw a repro Remington 1863 contract rifle with a period repro scope from DGW for sale. Looked pretty neat, and I was interested in it, but don't know a thing about those period scopes. How well do they work, and do they offer an improvement over open sights or a peep?

I do understand the cleaning concerns of the original poster. If a rifle with a scope that has been sighted in has to be taken apart for cleaning, chances are that it will need to be re-sighted every time it is put back together. I have run across a LOT of side lock muzzle loaders with scope mounts at gun shows over the years. I have even purchased a couple of them. One of them turned out to be a great learning experience for me. The back yard gunsmith who installed the scope mounts drilled holes all the way into the rifle's bore! :doh: This kind of stuff goes unseen until you get it home and take it apart. What I thought was a steal of a deal ended up going over budget with a new barrel needed. These days I usually will pass up those rifles with mounts on them unless the rifle is something very rare and special.

I must confess. I have mounted scopes on side lock muzzleloaders, But only if they are pre drilled and then only to check powder/projectile combinations.I don't hunt that way and I try not to let any one see me.I don't see like I once did. Try removing the barrel,cover the scope the best you can with plastic bags and rubber bands and running hot water down using your wifes dish squiter in the sink if it has a long enough hose.Just don't let her catch you.

Back