• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thinking of taking a walk on the dark side.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the link. First time I ever checked those scopes out. They are "traditional", while taking advantage of modern, coated optics. At a reasonable price. And a Traditional Godsend for someone with older eyes.

Of course, a basic, traditional peep sight would be the ticket on a flintlock. There have been some dandy examples of those on other threads.

Bottom line: whatever keeps a fellow shooting is fine with me. :thumbsup:

It's a bit hard for my simple little mind to think that a peep sight would make it much easier at longer distances. But I see it written often enough, and I have no reason to doubt that it's true as many here have also shown that a silly little ball is quite effective too.

However I find it rather expensive to try first and find that it doesn't help enough, though I have attempted to make myself feel a bit better about it as backup sights for a scoped rifle”¦

I've had the front and rear Lyman sights in my cart for some time just sitting there staring at me, but I just haven't been able to press the continue button.

Friend of mine who was a crack rifle shot in the Army, swears that a peep is about as accurate as a scope for most applications. And it doesn't magnify your wobble, which can be rather disconcerting. "Trust your wobble."

Here's my take on scopes: I don't use them but if your eyesight requires a scope in order for you to continue shooting a muzzleloader than for Heaven's sake use one. If you are not concerned about being HC/PC, that's okay by me. I'm not all about bing HC/PC myself. I just enjoy shooting my muzzleloaders. Claude doesn't want us to discuss modern scopes. It's his forum so we play by his rules. So, just don't say what kind of scope you have and let's just assume that it is an acceptable brass scope.

I tried a brass scope on my T/C Hawken and found that it was more trouble than it was worth. It was in the way when I was cleaning the barrel and I had to use less effective (in my opinion) methods of cleaning. I used one of those tube thingies in my nipple hole. It worked but the end of the tube kept coming out of the bucket when I ran the patch down the bore and spraying water all over the place. The other problem was that the spray from the firing of the cap on the nipple would spray corrosive "stuff" on the scope causing it to become very discolored with corrosion. To prevent this, I polished the scope and then wrapped it in leather that I laced onto the scope. This prevented the corrosion on the scope and did not look too bad. Another minor problem was the spray from the cap would get onto the rear lens of the scope and would require frequent cleaning of the lens. In the end, I removed the scope, plugged the mounting holes with screws and went to a peep sight. I still have the scope and mounts and if I ever get to the point that the peep sight will no longer work for my eyes, I'll put the scope back on my rifle and keep on shooting as long as I can.

So, if you need a scope, use a scope. Do whatever you need to do to keep shooting that muzzleloader. I'd rather see you shooting a muzzleloader with a scope than sitting at home playing checkers. :hatsoff:

I suggest you view the Jerimiah Johnson DVD again and renew yourtraditional spirit
Hank

Back