• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

There's GOTTA be a way to get an even browning finish on a b

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSK

Smollett
Reaction score
I've been using LMF browning solution for my latest project and really like it. I've been following the instructions about not rubbing in the solution or going over sections twice and the parts have been coming out an even, rich brown. All except the barrel that is. The smaller parts seem simple compared to the barrel. I keep getting lighter streaks, darker streaks...I'm pretty sure it's me and not the barrel. I keep hearing how foolproof this stuff is. Is there a common method for ensuring a nice even brown over such a large area with the LMF?

Thanks, Smollett

Smollett,
Cold browning is easy! The more controls you have, the easier it is to duplicate.
Always degrease the steel! It's as simple as 409 cleaner. Spray is on, scrub with a scrub brush, repeat, and rinse. It will start rusting before you even apply the browning.
I also use a damp box. I live in AZ, so,relative humidity is mostly in the single digits. I made a box out of ¼" plywood, put wet rags in the bottom to up the moisture level. Three to six applications, carding between coats, makes a beautiful even brown.

I have about 6 applications so far and the streaks won't blend out. Just like the instructions read, I applied the first coat, waited 3 hours, applied the second, waited another 3 hours. Before the 3rd coat and thereafter, I carded the barrel. I have a fine humidity box. As I mentioned, the smaller parts, including the under rib, came out fine. The barrel had been blued and I sanded it off with 180 grit emory. I intend to start this over again, but don't want to begin until I have an improved plan of attack.

Smollett

When I ran into that with LMF, it was a case of not enough humidity (and too darned cold, actually) where the barrel was being held. Got over it that first time by hanging the barrel in our shower and putting a crock pot of hot water in with it. Wife objected to losing the shower for 24 hours, so had to move on to Plan B.

Second time using LMF on a gun I built a "sweat box," following the recommendations of someone here on the site. Just a plywood box with a lid and a light at one end. Put a sopping wet towel in the bottom of the box, turned on the light (60 watt bulb) and closed the lid. Then things went just fine and surprisingly quick. I've done several since, and always got excellent results. Wouldn't even think of browning now without a sweat box.

Here's my solution... small cooler, one black trash bag and a boiling mason jar filled with water. Place the jar inside the cooler, barrel in bag and place the bag into the cooler over the jar. Instant humidity! Doesn't have to be a cooler, just so happens my little igloo lunch box cooler works great. I've used this method many times with great results. :thumbsup:

I sanded the barrel down from one end to the other while wearing gloves. On top of that, I understand that LMF doesn't require absolute whistle-clean degreasing. I almost feel like the first two sessions weren't long enough to uniformly bite into the metal. Plus, on the 3rd coat, after carding, even though I applied what I thought was a dab of solution to a cotton ball, the solution might have been applied a bit "wetter" than it should have. Maybe I created the streaks with the solution? The instructions do provide that the solution is also a rust remover (I think). Any tips on an applicator that allows a thin dampening of the surface? In the end I just don't know, but it sure is frustrating. Seems like I'm all thumbs lately. Some of you are such naturals...

Smollett

There is a possibility that the blued barrel had been waxed prior to you getting it. LMF will not remove wax that might have been driven into the bare metal while you were sanding it. Just a thought. I always use a folded flannel applicator or a wool swab to apply the solution.

Smollet,
Like I mentioned before, whether the directions say so or not, degrease the barrel with 409 first. It will guarantee a good finish. I've built nearly 100 guns..... All with LMF. It works!

If it is long streaks, I think you are using too much solution. You want it just damp. When I apply the solution, you can just see that it was wet enough to change the color of the barrel. Any puddling, pooling, streaks left will show.

Also temperature makes a Big dif. I want my room 85 deg or warmer. I brown all of my barrels in the bathroom on the vanity with a shower curtain under it. I card it, then apply solution with a cotton ball that has the browning solution on it. As said, just wet enough to see it makes the barrel a dif. color. Steam the bathroom good & then wait 3 hrs, card & repeat.
Normally takes about 6-7 treatments for it all to even out.

The only time I ever had streaking or spot issues with it was from using too much solution. Do NOT rub the solution back & forth & Do Not we it, then go back over it immediately. Use one long stroke per flat, do next flat, then next, etc.

Keith Lisle

Ditto to what Keith said.....wet a small rag, and one stroke apply. Hang it in the bathroom, and you have wemon in your house hold, in about 3days, see if it needs carding.
If no wemon there....you might have to build a sweat box.....

Your slathering and double stroking the application maybe....and, if nothing else works, read them instructions ! :doh:

Marc n tomtom

Well, I think I've picked up 3 things here: I'll degrease with 409, make sure I amp up the humidity and very sparingly apply solution to each flat- without lifting the applicator-from one end to the other.

Does this sound like I've got a fighting chance now?

Smollett

Smollett said:
Does this sound like I've got a fighting chance now?

Sounds like you're right on target. Takes a little patience, but really pretty easy. When I first started my first, it was all blotchy. But with the addition of humidity and heat, things went faster and the blotches went away.

Last barrel I did with LMF, I waited on a few rainy days, did all of the above except cleaned with lacquer thinner and hung the barrel under the eve of my shop out of the rain. I left it for 24 hrs the first time, it was really streaky with the first coat but came out perfect after 5 or 6 coats.

Perfect until I changed the front sight, and buggered up the browning job. With repeated attempts I haven't been able to match the browning worth a hoot and finally gave up and call the mismatch "character".

I have used LMF on several barrels and if you will carefully follow the directions and keep applying coats, it will even out and you will have a nice even brown. Make absolutely sure that there is no oil from your hands on the barrel when you apply each coat and be sure to card each coat just as they tell you. Yes, it can be frustrating the first time that you try but after the first barrel when you know that you will eventually get a nice even coat, the frustration goes away. Oh, one other thing, once you have a good coat of brown started, be sure to watch your rusting times because once the LMF gets a good hold on the metal, the rusting process speeds up. After you have that rust coating, each subsequent coat will take only about 8 hours in the sweat box. If you let it go much longer than that, you may possibly start to get pitting on the barrel. Just take your time, keep coating it, washing and carding between coats, wear rubber gloves to handle the barrel and watch your rust times and you will get there. I have several rifles with LMF browned rifle barrels in my gun safe that are proof of that.

" Well, I think I've picked up 3 things here: I'll degrease with 409, make sure I amp up the humidity and very sparingly apply solution to each flat- without lifting the applicator-from one end to the other.

Does this sound like I've got a fighting chance now?"

Yep, you're dead on. Keep on truckin' :thumbsup:

I forgot to add, I do the barrel & all the parts pieces in under 24 hrs. I cardevery 3 hrs. with a Dixcel Wheel from Bronells.

Keith Lisle

Under 24 hours? You're one of those "naturals" to whom I alluded.

Smollett

Back