• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Words We Use and How They Define Us

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my personal vernacular when I gotta pee or something I go to the bathroom and everyone understands what I'm doing or where I'm going. I kill things with a gun or bow and arrow and everyone understands that too. All this discussion nit picking about weapons, firearms, whatever else is boring and repetitious to me.

…You think those things stink on the outside !!! …
You sound like Han Solo! 🤪
1686674596177.jpeg

As a non-American, I can see many American euphemisms that you chaps may not even notice.
Examples:
restroom = toilet, lavatory (you go there to rest?)
bathroom = toilet, lavatory (personally, I don't cr&p in the bath)
Hmmm, I believe you all use the term “water closet”. I have a water closet. It’s what I keep my back-up drinking supply in. If I catch someone doin a #1, or #2 in there, it’s ‘game on’! 🤪

This one made me smile. Growing up in NC PA .. Clinton County right beside you we killed and cut them up too. Regional dialect

Thanks,
O.R
This one may be laugh. My wife was teaching a bible story about when Peter was given the vision about even eating unclean animals. A first grader spoke up "you kill and you eat it". This was in Centre County, PA. Didn't realize that was the regional dialect.

I guess it's the desire to be PC with the selection of terms you use. I know I will use both kill and harvested depending on the audience. Butcher and process for me have different uses. Dad was a 'butcher' by trade, for him, butchering was the breaking down of the carcass to select pieces whereas processing was used when doing bologna, kielbasa, jerky etc.

As a non-American, I can see many American euphemisms that you chaps may not even notice.
Examples:
restroom = toilet, lavatory (you go there to rest?)
bathroom = toilet, lavatory (personally, I don't cr&p in the bath)
Heavy = fat, overweight
The recent surge in the use of 'issues' to mean 'problems', especially in the usage 'he has issues', to mean 'he has mental problems'. That has unfortunately been imported here and is heard all the time.
Etc.
Well, we sure don’t call a truck/car “hood” a “bonnet” 🤣

This one may be laugh. My wife was teaching a bible story about when Peter was given the vision about even eating unclean animals. A first grader spoke up "you kill and you eat it". This was in Centre County, PA. Didn't realize that was the regional dialect.
Regional dialect was probably a poor choice of words Localized slang maybe ? :)

Thanks,
O.R.

During the metal wash tub bathing days , I used to marvel at the pecking order for the wash tub and water . Warmest first bath was Mom , and Dad . Next the kids had to decide , who was next for tub use. Neighbors had two girls ,and two boys. Once the elders had their wash rag habit satisfied , the four kids had to have a go . I never found out how they figured who was next.

During the metal wash tub bathing days , I used to marvel at the pecking order for the wash tub and water . Warmest first bath was Mom , and Dad . Next the kids had to decide , who was next for tub use. Neighbors had two girls ,and two boys. Once the elders had their wash rag habit satisfied , the four kids had to have a go . I never found out how they figured who was next.
Love it. At my grandmother's in the early 1950's wash tub on the kitchen floor next to the wood cookstove. And you had to help carry the water uphill from the spring. That water was "expensive" so afterwards it went on the kitchen garden.

Back