• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Words We Use and How They Define Us

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A little thought came to mind reading this thread. Growing up one of my buds who is now my brother in law worked at a gas station. When we would go out he would tell all the girls we met he was a Petroleum Flow Technician!! Still tickles me to this day!

As a kid on the farm the out house was the crapper,the bath was a wash tub on Saturday nights, later in my teens in the USN it was the head. We did crp/pee in the head but not in the same stalls.

That wash tub sat on the floor near the parlor coal fired stove in the winter months and sufficed for eight young bodies. 😜
I grew up on a farm in the 50's and 60's as you did. It was the same here, out house, ice box, glove box and the like. In the Corps in the 70's it was the 'Head'. Back then if you ask a Marine or Sailor why they call it the 'Head', they knew. Ask one now and they have no idea. Seems Navy and Marine Corps History is no longer taught in boot camp. SAD 😢

I live in west central PA.

Kill the Dear.
Clean the deer. (but if I described the deer I would say its field dressed.)
Skin and Quarter the deer.
Then days later I Cut It Up

For some dialect reason I would "butcher" a pig, but "cut up a deer". Kind of weird.

Im not fond of the word "harvest" - its Game Commission and Ag. Department speak. I guess its most accurate if you hunt inside high fences where they treat the deer like live stock. But it seems a bit demeaning to the hunting process if you actually hunt wild animals.

Ciggie has always been pretty common.
Bait not taken.
That's the whole point of this thread.

A word in common use is a word in common use.

Not using the word doesn't make the word or the memory of the word disappear.

We can no longer use the phrase "Stick A Finger In The Dike." Because people are too dumb to know what a dam is called in Holland.

The word Niggard means a person who is cheap, stingy or miserly. Good luck saying the bank manager was a no good rotten Niggard for not giving you a loan. Just because a word looks like another word or sounds like another word doesn't mean it has any connection, whatsoever, to the N-Word we no longer say.

This disgusting catering to one side of the political spectrum is both childish and dangerous. Because now they want to serve arrest warrants for misgendering someone for using the wrong WORDS.

P.S. John's Hopkins University: A Woman is now a Non-Man. And a Lesbian is a Non-Man who is attracted to Non Men.

If you are playing this word game, YOU are part of the problem.

Last edited:
Have noticed off and on recently the words, injured and wounded, used interchangeably in the news media applied to victims of car wrecks or other catastrophes.

A little thought came to mind reading this thread. Growing up one of my buds who is now my brother in law worked at a gas station. When we would go out he would tell all the girls we met he was a Petroleum Flow Technician!! Still tickles me to this day!
I worked at a gas station when I was about 16-ish. What used to wind my watch is when old timers would come in and ask for “motor” that meant “regular”. Worse than that is when they would ask for “5 of motor”. So I’d put in $5 of regular and go up to get paid and they would say “I meant 5 GALLONS“. Gas was $0.30-ish cents per gallon at the time. Don’t know if these clowns were just trying to scam me to pay for their gas or if they really expected me to know that they meant gallons instead of dollars.

The word “motor“ I got a lot, the gallons/dollars scam…not too much. I don’t recall if I had to pay or not. If I did, I probably blocked it from my memory. BTW I was getting paid $1.81 per hour.

The point about 'weapon' is that the word means an implement used in combat for the purpose of killing, injuring, or defeating an enemy. A target pistol or rifle, or a hunting arm is not a weapon.
"A target pistol or rifle, or a hunting arm is not a weapon."
I think that depends on the bearer's intent. Any one of them will kill you just as dead as a Brown Bess or M1.

I heard or read that a pistol refers to an auto-loading handgun and a revolver is, well, a revolver but both are handguns. Seems now that any handgun is now called a pistol..?

I heard or read that a pistol refers to an auto-loading handgun and a revolver is, well, a revolver but both are handguns. Seems now that any handgun is now called a pistol..?
We’ve ran this to ground several times. Pistol was derived from a French word that meant a small hand held firearm. Single shot back then. So pistol is any firearm designed to be held in one hand when fired.
Autoloaders, revolvers multi barrel or single barrel, all are pistols.
Revolver simply referred to the revolving magazine.

In the North East with its somewhat limited land space for animal populations and stricter hunting laws, harvest is a meaningful term. Sure animals are killed, but the aim is to limit numbers to allow the habitat to support a health herd. States, thru various means, set limits on animal “harvesting” depending on the population of game animals.
For years I hunted the states of New England with their “ bucks only law” and a harvest of only one per hunter. In later years as the herd grew Doe permits were issued by lottery. Quit hunting around the age of 65 so don’t know what the permissible harvest is today but sure all those lean years of bucks only and upland game bag limits have paid off.
Just another view.

In the North East with its somewhat limited land space for animal populations and stricter hunting laws, harvest is a meaningful term. Sure animals are killed, but the aim is to limit numbers to allow the habitat to support a health herd. States, thru various means, set limits on animal “harvesting” depending on the population of game animals.
For years I hunted the states of New England with their “ bucks only law” and a harvest of only one per hunter. In later years as the herd grew Doe permits were issued by lottery. Quit hunting around the age of 65 so don’t know what the permissible harvest is today but sure all those lean years of bucks only and upland game bag limits have paid off.
Just another view.
I am sure those regulations have helped. But through much of the Northeast and the rest of the country habitat is sorely stressed. I am in a rural part of the county and to look at the small farms and many patches of woods you might think good habitat. Well.....it seems to work for deer. But pheasant disappeared at least 20 years back. No grouse have been seen here in decades. Black bear is so rare as to merit newspaper articles when one is spotted. Opportunistic species, like coyote, do well enough.
We have isolated patches of habitat. A healthy game population needs large swaths of contiguous habitat.

Latest posts

Back