• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The perfect item to use after a day shooting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Comrade Coffin

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Good day gentlemenHere is my latest finished leatherwork item, a lidded tankard. Guarenteed to make beer taste better.

DSCF1068-1.jpg

Now full of beer (just to check for leaks):-

DSCF1067.jpg

The beer level has dropped, but not because of leakage.

DSCF1072.jpg

Mmmmmmmmmmmm...beeeeeeeer

Simply wonderful Sir.

I was wondering; what kind of special or unusual cleaning procedures (if any) do leather tankards, jacks, beakers, etc. require after use?

Good day Ogre, the tankard is lined with brewer's pitch, so one has to be careful not to use too hot-a-water for washing. I genrally just give it a thorough rinse shortly after use. This type of pitch has been refined and so it is 'food safe' and does not taint the beer. It dries to a much harder state than beeswax, and so it also helps to stiffen the tankard.

Good day to you Rev William, that particular beer was not home brewed - I haven't made any for a few years, but maybe I should start again. I still have the gear. The ale in question is 'Bishops Finger' a Kentish Strong Ale which is brewed by Britain’s oldest brewer - Shepherd Neame, an independent family brewery founded in the heart of East Kent’s hop country at Faversham in 1698. It is damn fine stuff.

Beer that actually tastes like beer. Now that is an idea that your American cousins seem to have forgotten.
Nothing like a good full flavored ale, except the mead that a friend of mine makes :thumbsup:

Very nice work on the tankard.

Ron

Awesome Doc! Do you know where a person could get a pattern/template? Looks like there may be a welt placed in between the handle sections that terminates at the inner cylinder? I can't really tell. Thanks for posting it. :hatsoff:

I love a good ale, and I would love to get ahold of some mead!! Know of any you can buy at a store?

To make your own mead, acquire honey, and "mead yeast" from Grape and Grainery. Nothing beats the old I " made it!" :idunno: :idunno:

armakiller said:
I love a good ale, and I would love to get ahold of some mead!! Know of any you can buy at a store?

Here in CO we have the Rockey Mt meadery? the make a pretty good assortment, There are a few more but don't know their names. The liqour store carries about 4 shelves full.

That's my question too. I like my Beer and leather too, just not sure about mixing the two. I brew beer and do some leatherwork but have not tackled any leather "Jack" ware yet. As with beer homebrewing, mead making has become quite popular. If you research local homebrew shops or organizations you just might be able to get you some mead. Keep in mind it is illegal to sell homebrew. There are a number of commercial products available. There is a Meadery getting started here in Asheville, so far their product has limited availability, but they are growing.

Good day gents, I can assure you that the beer tastes fine, with no taint to the flavour. The tankard is sealed with brewer's pitch, which does have a slight odor when initially done, but this fades quite quickly. That being said, it still did not affect the flavour of the brew.

One tip for mead makers is to leave your brewing vessel out dring frosty weather (after primary fermentation has finished)and throw away the ice that forms on the top every day. This method of freeze distillation gives you a properly fortified mead. Adding appropriate herbs and spices produces a drink called 'methaglin' - simply a strong spiced mead. My cousin (a bee-keeper by profession) used to make it. A fantastic drink.

Back