• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Evil Dremel.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Power tools, in general, defiantly have their place but a skilled hand with the proper tool is far more often the better route to take for a satisfying result. Look at it this way, it takes more time and effort to mess up a project with hand tools than it does with power tools.

I use both a Dremel and a Foredom TX with foot control. The Dremel is fine for polishing brass; depending on compound used, you can get the finish you like.
The Foredom, to me, is much more controllable. Learned to use it on jewelry, where it's preciseness is a boon.

Power tools, in general, defiantly have their place but a skilled hand with the proper tool is far more often the better route to take for a satisfying result. Look at it this way, it takes more time and effort to mess up a project with hand tools than it does with power tools.

I don’t use use power tools for that very reason on much of the work.

Chisels, rasps files etc.

I use a band saw, dado, and drill press that’s about it.

my foredoms i use for very delicate work on steel, never really on wood.

My most used power tool is a Mill press and metal lathe, i use that for scratch built parts.

I got a couple Dremels at auction, left over from some tradesman's stock or something. About 25 bucks for 'em and you can buy the "Harbor Fright" bit kits. I don't use a Dremel much but when you need one, it's handy!

I do final inlet tweaking with a Dremel, if you use a small diamond bit it will cut slowly and not get away from you, If the area is really close but not quite there, I use a worn-out diamond bit that will remove wood but oh so slowly.

My nephew, who has never inletted anything, tried to put a patch box in his GPR with a Dremel.

View attachment 210860

I fixed his mess with a lot of glued in patches and a Dremel for the final fit.

View attachment 210861
Very impressive!

I use both a Dremel and a Foredom TX with foot control. The Dremel is fine for polishing brass; depending on compound used, you can get the finish you like.
The Foredom, to me, is much more controllable. Learned to use it on jewelry, where it's preciseness is a boon.

SR i use for polishing, TX for heavy duty and the LR i use for pen turning work.

Jim Killer advises against them but I think that's because they can definitely get away from those not adept at using them. His assembly videos are more for those not so very experienced (like me) with building rifles. I use mine frequently on small muzzleloader parts but never on a stock. I commend those who can.

Latest posts

Back