• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

That Project You've Been Wanting To Get Around To...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What's up for winter?
Got an itch you're threatenin' to scratch?

Mine is an older Traditions Shenandoah that was rebored to shoot revolver ball from a Lyman mold that actually throws .453" diameter. Been wanting to refinish the piece, get rid of all that plasticoat stuff and maybe cone the muzzle.

Another is an old Lyman #500294 hollow base round nose mold.
I want to see how hard it can be pushed in a TC fifty caliber before the skirt ruptures.

A few shot pouches, a couple pairs of moccasins. Whatever else comes up that I need and can make.....
Maybe......

I've been procrastinating these and many other unrelated projects for months.

There are a few projects I'd like to undertake on my guns but I don't have the tools, place to work, knowledge level or experienced guidance to dive in. I'd love to pull the breach plug on my Fusil des Chase and polish the heck out of the breach face. Same gun I'd like to drill out the direct drilled flash hole and replace with a liner, placing the hole higher,,,, then fill in and reshape the notch the original builder put in the bottom of the pan to make up for the hope being too low. Then adjust the flint-cock to hit higher, but at a more downward angle. None of this can I do here or on my own.

"Semper Procrastinatus"

I want to make another shooting bag - another small one good for a day hunt. I also want to make a couple more ball pouches and another leather cap holder for placing the cap onto the nipple.

My first "build", not sure what I want to do yet. Kibler is awful tempting and since I've never done one, would be a good one. Kinda want to challenge myself a little though, maybe a TVM or Cabin Creek's standard kit? Maybe I'll start with an old TC or Lyman kit you can come across on gunbroker every now and again, little less money if I butcher it, LOL. Don't need any more guns, just starting to realize an itch that needs scratching.

Last edited:
Winter.

It's 94 degrees.

I'm still working on summer projects.

My winter project will be modifying an old Traditions Kentuckyish stock to get rid of the brass shoulder spikes and increase LOP to 13.5 inches.

Last edited:
Get back to my jim bridger hawken kit. Fancy maple, steel hardware with 62 tapered rice barrel.
Cva 54 Mt rifle build, and strip the ugly laquer off a cva penn. and refinish with oil. But life keeps getting in the way.🍻

My next project will be a palm rest schuetzen rifle. I got a 1 1/8 inch straight 40 caliber barrel. Stock will be the fanciest piece of Turkish walnut I can find. I will make adjustable diopter sights from scratch. Don't know how, but I will figure it out. It will be a flintlock and shoot round ball. Not very historically correct, but I don't care. I like flintlocks better so that is what it will be. But I have to finish the 4 bore I am working on now first.

My next project will be a palm rest schuetzen rifle. I got a 1 1/8 inch straight 40 caliber barrel. Stock will be the fanciest piece of Turkish walnut I can find. I will make adjustable diopter sights from scratch. Don't know how, but I will figure it out. It will be a flintlock and shoot round ball. Not very historically correct, but I don't care. I like flintlocks better so that is what it will be. But I have to finish the 4 bore I am working on now first.
Damn skippy.

Build to enjoy.

Work on my Woodsrunner, finish four powder horns, make more powder, and I cut down another tree this week for a fantasy, fancy, ultralight, short, lotsa drop, swamped, left-handed cherry-stocked, iron-wearing, .36 caliber squirrel gun. The fantasy rifle will probably be a next year deal, it will take me a while to get a barrel lined up.

Mine is a Thompson Center Renegade that I bought cheap. The original barrel was rough so I put an old Hawken barrel in it. Just want to shoot it and see how it shoots because I may sell it cheap. I didn’t need it or really want it, but it was too cheap to pass up.

I bought a 50 cal percussion on this forum a couple years ago. Nice cherry stock with a 42" straight octagon barrel. Too front heavy for me.

So, I just cut 14" off the stock and barrel. The lock is a siler, and I have a siler flint that is going to be fitted to the gun. Started scraping around the cheekpiece area of the buttstock to thin it out and remove someone's idea of carving.

Need to scrape the lock bolt panel down flat and epoxy a new piece of cherry on there to rework it all. The plate that the lock bolt went through was pretty hideous and needed to go.

In fits and starts, it'll probably take me most of the winter to finish.

Lots of trade guns to build . I want to final make a hat out of one of my beaver pelts that have been hangin in the shop for awhile now . Lots of chores on the ole homestead too ... Firewood first ...just unloaded some ....need 2-2 1/2 more cord and I'll be good .

I have a couple barrels that need breech plugs installed. Four stocks ready to build (2 pre-carved and 2 blanks), Just shy one flintlock lock to complete the above projects. Also, I have a rolling block action that needs stocked, barreled and chambered.

However, my greatest plans have gone awry with the remodeling of the house.

Restock a Renegade into a Pecatonica stock.

Finish the old CVA Kentucky kit that's nearly done.

Complete a Lyman GPR kit that's about 50% Complete.

Build out an old CVA frontier rifle that I thought I needed.

At least get started on a Pecatonica SMR parts that is taking up space.

Need to turn a raw buff horn into a powder horn.

Most of this stuff was summer projects! 🤣

Bill-
for the sight, you might take a look at Mr. SingleShot's Gunsmithing Idea Book by Frank DeHaas. IIRC, the book gets into making schuetzen-style rear sights.

Back