• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thanks USPS

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your not the only one having issues...

Recieved this email today about a package that contained 3 books, before it arrived to me it was ripped open on the side, then repackaged and shipped on to the local post office. The local guys held it for me, so they could explain it was that way when they recieved it. I opened it in front of them only to find one of the books missing. Of course it was the book I really wanted...they explained how to complete a lost item request. 6 months later, I recieve this;

Screenshot_20231011_101036_Yahoo Mail.png

I live on an Avenue. There is no street with the same name in my community. If someone sends something by USPS to me with St. or does not add Ave. to the address it is unlikely to get to me. The sorting computers in Kansas City 140 miles away can’t figure it out. Evidently there is no default human being there to make up for machine errors.
The beauty of the po is they have a website that you can stick an address in and it will fix it and add +4 to the zip. No one I uses it mind you, but it’s there and works.

I live in a small town and a couple years ago i got a letter delivered that had my name no street address and the city state and zip. i dont think it would work again but i thought it was pretty cool. I have a pretty good mail man ( opps i mean letter carrier ) the only problem is he is so liberal thinks biden is gods gift to the world. loves the open border.

I have a MO that has been out for several months. The postmaster said it would cost me about as much to cancel as I have in the MO.

Back in the 2010's I worked as a Hearing Officer for Idaho's POST. Many times certified letters requiring attendance to hearings would be returned as the recipient refused to sign for them. Upon investigation with the Post Office it was found that they had a 99.5 % or better rate of delivery for First Class letters. I quit sending the letters via certified and went with first class and never had an issue afterwards.

Unfortunately, the new set of hearing officers now send certified as it was found that in certain high density areas the first class rate has dropped below 90% (overall average is still up in the 98% level) and thus could not be relied upon for an acceptable "certainty of delivery" standard.

The post office still provides a quality , efficient service in comparison with foreign postal services. While living in Spain during the 90's our saying was, "If you absolutely, positively want your mail to not make it, use the Spanish Postal service." While that is an exaggeration, the reliability of delivery was so poor even the Spaniards used alternate means of delivery for high value or important mail.

In my continuing efforts to liquidate a friends huge family estate (and my own) i have used about every available shipping service known to man. Let me say i have no love for PP (or USPS) but the combination of PP's 'shipstation' service and USPS;s new 'ground advantage) seems to work the best for me.

Turns out I had the address wrong, my bad. The correct address was 221 ________ street and in a senior moment I had put 211. The intended reciepent says that is the address across the street from him. I will mail it again today with the correct number, hopefully.

How many are old enough to remember the days when there were evidently so few people that usually a name and zip code would get mail to it's intended destination?
I'm telling my age. That was back when some people, including my grandparents, had a "party line" phone service. Sharing a line with neighbors, you had to be able to recognize your ring, slightly different from the other. And you had to wait your turn to use the line. At that time my parents did not have a phone at our house. The phone numbers were four digits.
I have some of my Grandmother's postcards with just a name , town and state as an address.

"Turns out I had the address wrong, my bad. The correct address was 221 ________ street and in a senior moment I had put 211".

Not too long back, I did the exact same thing. Transposed the street numbers. PMO for sat in the PO for about a month till someone figured out his house was only one of a few on the block.
All the time I KNEW he thought I was a flake OR, someone at the PO snatched the MO.
Turns out, old age was the culprit. (or maybe I thought I knew everything??) :rolleyes: ;)

Ive had some very good rural UPS drivers. Im very rural. I moved once, I had a package addressed to me in care of a friend that lived nearby, it turned up at my new place despite not actually having an address yet, I hadnt filed the country paperwork to get one at the new place I built. When I saw the driver later he said "I know where you live", He retired, the new driver lady was absolutely awesome as well.

Smallish town, under 10K. Was out of town and had some mail they were holding, went to the front counter told at least 2 different ladies on different occasions I needed to pick up my mail, they recited my box number from memory before I told them.

I dont get home mail delivery, the old contract rural delivery person was awful so never got another rural box at the road again, just a PO box in town. Someone sent a package to my physical address by mail despite emphatically telling them IF they use UPS THIS (physical) is the address, IF you use USPS THIS (PO Box) is the address and I cant get delivery at the other address from either service. of course someone sent me a package at home by mail. On a couple occasions the mail person delivered it to my house which isnt by the bank of boxes. On another, they remembered when I had a PO Box in that town, (where the rural delivery originates, not where I have a PO Box now), and that I now had a box in the other town, they overuled the address info and got my box info and had it delivered to the other post office.

They arent perfect by any means, but I cant complain too much about the general service or people at the post office locally.

UPS tracking, a desolate wasteland of info, hours or days late in updating. Delivery notice text a couple hours after the fact.

USPS, Ive been sitting in the house, get a delivery text, then hear the mail truck pull away from the box (not my regular address with rural delivery). They give very up to date delivery updates for the most part. Check tracking, click the updates thing and get texts and/or emails on delivery or even every single change or stage in delivery and expected delivery info.

Theres been some failures, but most of the time USPS is far more informative and easier to figure out where a package is.

You can get daily emails with images of whats going to be delivered in your mail. Very handy when waiting for something and live 35 miles from town and dont go in very often.

I read in the collector press several years ago that the USPS was trying to find a way to track the office where any specific STAMP was sold! Don't know if they succeeded, but it was in response to the criminal mailings of poison that some nuts were doing back before 9/11, recall the powders they were mailing. If you could trace a purchase point, the video in any given office would give a clue as to suspect's identity, etc. Technology has value in fighting crime as well as the negative side of privacy invasion. Facial recognition, etc.

That is part of how they tracked the Anthrax killer that sent anthrax to senate office building. Most of it was DNA from the bacterial strains though.

Back