• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thanks USPS

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom in nc

45 Cal.
Reaction score
On August 2nd last I mailed payment of $10 to a fellow muzzleloader on here for gun parts. Today, October 10th, in my mailbox was the envelope marked returned due to insufficient address. The address was correct, according to the gentleman I was paying. No doubt he has been thinking that I stiffed him for $10.
I will be having a prayer meeting with someone at the post office tomorrow.

I will be having a prayer meeting with someone at the post office tomorrow.
In my experience with same situation, I found the PO manager to be friendly, empathetic, and hopefully helpful, but ... in the end ... did, and even more so, completely unable to absolutely do a thing.

I think they hire these people for their great personalities, not for their abilities. I suggest you not waste your time.

I live on an Avenue. There is no street with the same name in my community. If someone sends something by USPS to me with St. or does not add Ave. to the address it is unlikely to get to me. The sorting computers in Kansas City 140 miles away can’t figure it out. Evidently there is no default human being there to make up for machine errors.

Turns out I had the address wrong, my bad. The correct address was 221 ________ street and in a senior moment I had put 211. The intended reciepent says that is the address across the street from him. I will mail it again today with the correct number, hopefully.

How many are old enough to remember the days when there were evidently so few people that usually a name and zip code would get mail to it's intended destination?
I'm telling my age. That was back when some people, including my grandparents, had a "party line" phone service. Sharing a line with neighbors, you had to be able to recognize your ring, slightly different from the other. And you had to wait your turn to use the line. At that time my parents did not have a phone at our house. The phone numbers were four digits.

Last edited:

How many are old enough to remember the days when there were evidently so few people that usually a name and zip code would get mail to it's intended destination?
I'm telling my age. That was back when some people, including my grandparents, had a "party line" phone service. Sharing a line with neighbors, you had to be able to recognize your ring, slightly different from the other. And you had to wait your turn to use the line. At that time my parents did not have a phone at our house. The phone numbers were four digits.
I'm "BZ" - "Before Zip Code". And I also remember party lines from when I was a little kid, when my Mom had to call the local operator and ask her to connect her with who she wanted to call. She did that by rotating a handle on the side of the phone, which was mounted in a little alcove in the wall. When our phone rang, it was the number of rings that told us whether it was for us or someone else on the same party line. Obviously anybody on the same line could also pick up their phone and listen in. I was four when we moved to another house and Mom was so happy to have a dial phone and a private line.

Last edited:
We never had a party line in my lifetime but I remember people in other towns that did into my teens. For a long time we only had to dial the last 4 numbers of a phone number in town.
I think a name and zip code would probably still work in my hometown but just because all the postal folks are local and have been there a long time.

I grew up in a small town in the 50s. Our telephone system still had operators. I would pick up the phone and when asked "number please" I would say "I want to talk to gramma" and the operator would connect me. Of course, we lived in the same small town and half of us were related and knew the other half of the residents pretty well.

When we lived on the farm our address was Rt. 2 and the town name. When we moved to town after Grampaw's emphysema got too bad to keep up with farm work, our address was 'general delivery' & we picked it up at the post office.

The post offices are under manned with folks that think they are government workers.
In the last 4 months we have had more packages returned than in the past 4 years.

One guy had it sent to his gated community. His mailbox does not have a number, it fell off. But his name and his girlfriend name is on it per what the post office said, because a few of the numbers are gone.
I wrote on the box and highlighted it to say no number use name.
It was return for no number, the guy chewed his post man and his boss out.
He missed a big car show because he didnt get the parts he needed.
They dont care.

In somebody's "GOBI" (General Officer's Bright Idea for those non military types) the USPS decided to take on Amazon's "last mile" deliveries. That has absolutely overwhelmed their ability to do their job.

Their hiring practices do not emphasize competence, rather a check in the box for outward personal characteristics.

Some turn out to be very good employees....heavy emphasis on "some".

Latest posts

Back