• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Texas Freeze!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now this is what I heard reported yesterday . 23% of Texas "E" is produced by wind generators out in west Tx region, if you have never driven west of Ft Worth then to Lubbuck and on to NM they are a sight to see ! Well seems they had a serious issue if "icing" on this big fans and there are photos of guys in helicopters (fossil fuel) trying to deice them buggers (for all you ozzie fans) with a product made from fossil resources ! Well with that 23% not functioning properly now this put a undue load on the rest of the grid for Texas and started the rolls and outages . Here in my spot of East Texas we just went through a 24 hr period of no power while sitting at -2F up to 13F, Now having lived 15 years on the HiLine , east of the rockies my family was able to adapt quickly and take proper steps . for your viewing pleasure here is what ONCOR (the major power provide in my locale) said ;
MERGENCY UPDATE: Due to ongoing record-low temperatures and generation, ERCOT has continued to direct Oncor and utilities across the state to drop power load through maintained controlled outages. These controlled outages are occurring across the state and the entire Oncor service territory. Oncor was able to rotate some outages overnight, but poor grid conditions have continued to prevent us and other utilities from rotating, or rolling, the entirety of these outages, leading to extended periods without power for many of our customers. At this time, ERCOT is unable to predict when grid conditions will stabilize, and urge all customers to be prepared for extended outages to continue. We also urge customers to prioritize the safety of themselves, their loved ones and their neighbors. Many local counties have also opened warming stations or shelters, which can be located online or by calling 211.

We had -20 this morning in Mi. This was on top of the 13-15 inches of snow. So much for global warming !

Our reported low at the Tyler, TX airport was minus 6 yesterday.

I don't know what the difference is between minus 6 and minus 20 is, but I do not want to find out.

Houses in Texas are not built for this, in many areas the water pipes are in attics and they freeze very easily, then you have water leaks. With the electrical outages, deaths are being reported in some areas from the temperatures in houses.

For those who hunt, Texas has a lots of "exotic's" in the Hill Country, it has been reported there has been a substantial die off for some of the animals. This will have a major impact on those who offer hunts. One place reported a 50% loss thus far and it's not over.

I live in Yuma Az. A desert community where it normally doesn't get down to 32 F. I do have a wood stove in my home for when t gets uncomfortable to me. Everyone should have one I think. You might get cold but you won't freeze if you have one. Wood stoves, fireplaces, good to have. Keep a little wood on hand too.

Been to Tyler, TX many times. I still can't phantom it would ever be that cold. There have to be people there that have NEVER felt that kind of freezing. Darn.

I remember 1989, it was zero and we were attempting to dig holes for a pole barn. Had to use axes to cut the ground.

There is 9 1/2 inches of snow/ice in my yard.

You all Texican boys stay warm down there, 22 here and calling for up to 14 in. of snow, guess the dog, wife and I will wake up to another winter wonderland in the morning. Laid in a fair supply of fire wood on the car port today.

Lived in Montana for 15 yr up on the Hi Line 30 mile south of Alberta and east of the Rockies.
Is there a difference between -6 and -20 F Yes ! at the -20 F point is when things really dont want to work well anymore. Why you really need engine block heater inserted into block and plugged in, other wise your oil is so "thick": at this point your battery (now operating at only 50% efficiency will barely turn the engine over . Tires are now "hard" flat where they sit and if you do get to move there will be a bumpy ride till they roll out some. windshield wipers are
hard and may actually break apart when used. Everything exposed on the outside of your house has shrink from the cold, around doors and windows. It is an interesting experience ! Then add winds avg 20mph on near daily basis, but oddly enough when we got that cold the winds died down ! I did record a -36F on my weather station one time and they just recently broke that with a -37F in that small town of Shelby .

Interesting.

Propane/temperature chart shows at -43.75 degrees that propane has no pressure and at -46.59 it has a negative pressure of -2 psig.

Never thought about carrying propane is a bucket.

Screenshot_20210216-015643_The Weather Channel.jpg
Screenshot_20210214-074728_Facebook.jpg

Well it's 3 am and I awoke the fire in the wood stove almost completely out. Didn't get up when my alarm went off to come put wood on the fire. So I got it back to rolling. Did a little research into what happened to the power grid. Turns out some folks don't know how or want to winterize equipment. Here's an article from a local news channel.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/l...ures/287-50797307-0afe-43eb-8175-b78e7e4fc13a
I'm supposed to be at work. But if I don't sleep during the day, I can't work, safely, all night long by myself. But it's hard to sleep when the power is shutting off your CPAP every 35 to 45 minutes, for only maybe 1 or 2 minutes, then it pops back on, and your CPAP gives you a burst of air right in your face. Thankfully after about 4 PM yesterday we only had one outage, right when I put on my mask and laid down, that lasted an hour. So no real sleep for me from 430 pm Sunday til 1045 pm Monday.

Something you don't really see around our neck of the woods. There are two small ponds near my job. Yesterday morning headed home, they were frozen over.View attachment 64376View attachment 64377
I know the fishing is good in Texas but I'm wondering how the ice fishing is?
Do you folks have ice fishing laws?

Latest posts

Back