• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Texas Freeze!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoaringBull

40 Cal
Reaction score
Everyone ready for the Great Texas Blizzard of 2021? I think its gonna be a nasty several days here boys! The really bad news is that I am a wastewater treatment plant operator that works the overnight shift 7pm to 7 am. Im not really looking forward to driving the 30 miles to work. I may end of sleeping in the break room if my relief can't make it to the plant!

On another note, how do my Texas brothers feel about all the members from Texas getting together somewhere and having a shoot or an informal rendezvous?

On another note, how do my Texas brothers feel about all the members from Texas getting together somewhere and having a shoot or an informal rendezvous?

Great idea. The devil is in the details.

Finding a facility/location to use for the event is the biggest barrier. Texas is a big place, where in the heck would we meet? Logistically speaking we would need proximity to air transportation and easy access by car rather than 4x4.
Some of the older members aren't up to primitive camping (others may not have the gear) and would want to execute a tactical retreat to a hotel in the evening. Next up meals and sanitation....

When Capt Call was talking with Gus longing to see a place that hadn't been ruined by bankers and lawyers they decided to go to Montana. All of those places are gone. Unfortunately the preceding paragraph is the kind of thing we would have to deal with these days.

From reading here, seems for the most part folks in Texas are either in the DFW quadrant or in the mid-Central area.

Problem with the shooting part is the liability issue.

You are in luck. The Aurora Blackpowder Club is having what we call a Fundezvous in April weekend of 16-18. It's not an PC required event, can if you want too. Fundezvous are so others can come see what the club is about and just have fun.
They also have a monthly meeting with fun friendly primitive archery compitition and traditional percussion and or rock lock compitition on the third Sunday of each month. The next meeting is on 2/21. Some one typically there by 8am to unlock the gate. Go checkout the FB page. You can also PM me and I'll try to have answers to your questions or at least get you in contact with those that can.

Last edited:
" may end of sleeping in the break room if my relief can't make it to the plant!"

Take care.

We are trying to figure out how to get to cows this week to feed them, calling for 5 to 8 inches tonight and ponds will be freezing over, no water.

Been between 20 and 40 below here for a good long time now boys.
You can cut holes in the ice for cows to drink. Axe or chainsaw. Just needs doing a couple of times a day.
Drifts that set hard make poor travelling.
One thing, it shouldn't last too long down there.
Good luck with it all.
Seemed to warm up yesterday here, minus 20C, but back down minus 30 last night and a good stiff breeze.
Up north it was minus 72 degrees, or minus 61 ish Centigrade. A lady froze to death walking home from neighbours, and it was only minus 52 where she was.
Stay warm.
R.

FishD,
Cows can manage quite well as long as they have snow to eat. Soft stuff they can scoop up. Hard crusted would need busting up for them.

Something to consider for those in the southern U.S.A. in the grip of extended subzero weather is the possibility of frozen water pipes in their homes. Housing construction is different in the far north, where more attention is paid to insulation from the cold. In warmer climates it just isn't needed ordinarily. Till now, maybe.

A faucet can be cracked just slightly to allow a steady very thin stream of water and allowed to run constantly - about the width of a pencil lead is enough - to help prevent this. Moving water will keep the pipes from freezing solid, and bursting. I read something from a plumber once, I'd like to see if I can dig it up again, that recommended measuring the temperature of the water coming out of the faucet and said if it dips below (iirc) about 40° F it's time to start worrying and crack a faucet open. Trust me you do not want frozen pipes.

"FishD,
Cows can manage quite well as long as they have snow to eat. Soft stuff they can scoop up. Hard crusted would need busting up for them."

Thanks, my problem is getting to them, it's a 70 mile one way trip.

Last week I was in shorts and a T shirt, this week 2 coats isn't enough.We're not used to this down here in South Texas. No wonder so many Texas boys (and other southern soldiers) froze to death in Yankee prisons.

Minot.

Had a Colonel land at Vance AFB in Enid, OK. He looked out the window across the runways and said, "and I though Minot was desolate.

Everyone ready for the Great Texas Blizzard of 2021? I think its gonna be a nasty several days here boys! The really bad news is that I am a wastewater treatment plant operator that works the overnight shift 7pm to 7 am. Im not really looking forward to driving the 30 miles to work. I may end of sleeping in the break room if my relief can't make it to the plant!

Sounds like a fine idea to me.

FishD,
As long as the snow is not way past a cows eyes, it can rustle through it and find the pasture.
We drive evrywhere in the snow, but of course we are used to it from October till march. May can be a heavy snow month here as well, and it Can come in Sept. and stay.
Its sort of what you get used to, rather than like!

Well the drive in to work wasn't too bad. Snowing the whole way. Took my time. Almost an hour and 15 minutes to drive 32 miles. Gonna be a fun drive home though.

Since you're on the road for more than an hour, at times when traffic is either light or nonexistent, I hope you have a duffel or pack you can throw some warm cloths in.
Years of living in Alaska taught me that in remote areas it's wise to have an emergency winter bag.
If your car dies or you go off the road and have to wait for a few hours in sub zero temperatures warm clothes a blanket, water and some snacks can come in handy.
Prepare for the worse and be pleasantly surprised when it doesn't happen.

Since you're on the road for more than an hour, at times when traffic is either light or nonexistent, I hope you have a duffel or pack you can throw some warm cloths in.
Years of living in Alaska taught me that in remote areas it's wise to have an emergency winter bag.
If your car dies or you go off the road and have to wait for a few hours in sub zero temperatures warm clothes a blanket, water and some snacks can come in handy.
Prepare for the worse and be pleasantly surprised when it doesn't happen.

Absolutely correct! I have all of that and more. There is even a metal coffee can with a couple of large bees wax candles and a lighter in it.

It’s a balmy -9 below here in Amarillo this morning. Feedyard cattle are going to suffer badly. Reminds me of the winter of ‘72 and ‘73. Brrr......

Well why not have a fun DAY viueee Its onyl 9F in Piney woods around Tyler with 8" of powder snow ! and rotating
power outages from every 15min to 1hr and we have now been on well over 2 hr Dang !!
We all aint in DFW or central ,we where there are big pine trees !!

Back