• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My sad Tale

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
!st day huntin,pulled the trigger 4 times,with hair in me sites,no meat ,1st deer comes out and is lookin at me ,20 yd ,gun on her throat,pulled trigger,Click(****),deer still there,pulled hammer back,click(**** ),deer runs away,don't wanna play this game no more.
New place to walk with my stick,after I got the gun to go off after 2 more trys(new nipple on the gun,caps are not sitting proper ,apparently it takes a couple of trys before they decide NOW.
Boys are set up wind is perfect,soon as I step into the bush,Bingo,there goes 2,rite to the boys,NP,we are hitech,got radios,2 comin I says,I am the only one with my radio on,so I keeps goin,I git to end of the bush and start back.
Bang ,its Andy,(Andy yells yer way pete),Andy an me go way back ,before radio's were invented)I see the deer sneakin my way(no real need to sneak,I'm carryin a stick)anyways pulls up the gun 15 yds this time ,they wanna make it as easy as possible,click(****),pulls the hammer back,but this Bambi,is not gonna play an takes off,Bang,thru a bush,,I hear elderberries are good ta eat,gonna find out.
Leastways ,we got dessert,was hopin for the main course,tomorra ,I'm thinkin we're gonna hunt near the onion field,I hear they will wait til yer gun goes off.
Now I ain't the only boy missin One guy shot at 2 ,his first yr huntin ,so buck fever,I don't have that excuse.
Day 2....just the three Amigo's now,went to Jim's.set up on a hogsback,and waited for Andy,Bang he shot at a tail,,Theys a comin boys,we got a perfect setup .Randy is in the slot and if they break left they're mine,we'll back up each other(thats what I thot ),cept Rany has a different slot than we do ,he's 300 yds from where he should be,my mistake shoulda placed him my self.Guess where they go,rite to the slot,no Randy so the doe goes lookin for the guy with the stick.
she comes left.behind me!!!
So I'm lookin around and see movement to my rite,Damn thats a big doe and somehow got by Randy,she gits behind a cedar andlookin back ,towards Randy.I don't have a clear shot,so I lean way over an can just see the bottom of her chest,not good,but .I let fly ,she stands there(Oh yeah the gun went off)30 seconds ,I'm reloadin ,then she starts up and 2 more come outand prance in front of me (20 yds wide open) and a cross the creekMy mistake ,another one,hurried the shot ,shoulda waited on her.My bad
Went to the 40 acres (nother good spot).I seen nothin ,probly a good thang,the way my luck is runnin.Bang,Its Randy..well sorta
Three deer jump into our bush from behind Randy,on the other side of the truck!!!! he sees them as they're goin by his front bumper,he shoots and gun don't work,shoots thrre more times,OK pulled the trigger,Deer are goin to me down the centre trail,Randy takes the lock off the gun works it OK puts it back together.
Meanwhile the deer are moseyin down to me .I can't see them yet Randy can as they are on a trail,Dog starts barkin behind me ,this turns the deer back to Randy he lets em git close fires (nuthin,agian and agian,by Deer,gun jammed again.the shot I heard was when he finally cleared his gun.
Day 3 Hard rain all day,went and gotta new nipple for the gun,
Day 4 Back to our first spot,snowed durin the nite PERFECT,7 A.M. just see the sights,whoa there's a deer30 yds out an comin slow,another one an she bigger another same as first one.they keep comin,I can taste the roast ,second one moves off a bit 15 yd ,10 ,bit of leaves in theway gonna wait.5 yd,rite on the neck of the first one,Pull the trigger on the new nipple and cap goes off ,no shot no deer no roast.The look on that deers face,or the snicker as he took off don't know which is worse.
This gun has never failed me huntin rain snow ,whatever,I've failed the gun,not bein ready not waitin,there is a list,but he's never failed til now.I aimed atta stump and Bang.think it used to a beech tree,I'm not sure what kinda whine goes with Beech,white or red,probly red to match my face.
So I measured it off 5 yd from where I was sittin,then subtract length of barrel,3 ft =1 yd...-barrel to my eye 6 inches=3 -3\4 yd,that is a record for me .I'm gonna git a bayonet as a backup.
Back to 40 acre's,I'm the driver,can't trust my shootin,neither can I.I put 2 deer up,Bang its Randy...miss...and one to Andy he don't shoot cuz he was watchin Randy's deer run across the field an didn't see the other one sneakin back into the bush.I drive the bush again ,nuthin.
Day 5 back to first spot,I'm in same place,why not the deer think I gotta camera,wait til first light Bang its Andy,he puts 2 up one a buck(first one we've seen)...The story is,30 yd an 2 jumped up an took off so he fired not really aiming ,to let us know there were deer comin,so much for hitech radios,so this doesn't really count as a shot,the deer don't come anywhere near us ,bolting across a field.
As I've had time to think a lotta time ,tryna sort this disaster outand it comes down to the one thing I've always done and thast is to shoot my gun,a day or 2 before the hunt to dirty the bore(clean bores can produce flyers.If I hadda done that I woulda seen that the caps weren't seating proper and woulda filed the nipple down.Little things pile up.
The good of this exercise is we have set up our hunts well .postin what people we have in the right spots,up to them after that everybody had a shot,that don't always happen.Where we could everybody was involved in the drivin an the sittin,most of the time people where were ya set them,that cost us 2 deer,
Day 6 coyote at 40 yd at 6A.M. can't see the sights,silloeuttedon the horizon,In the field with the cows,with the youngins,which they have taken down too many this year,so I yells at im,Oh its Pete NP ,just stands there,lookin at me Full moon ,I'mm squintin down the barrel.Even if its a coyote,I wanna clean kill..My yellin at him got the bull awake and he walked over an moved the coyote outta there.
Well got one more mornin ta go Randy's gone ,Malcolm begged out.so its up to me an Andy to come thru,thats alrite we both hunt hard an know what each is up to.An we only haveta look out for each other
Stuff ya see while huntin...thats what keeps me comin back,talkin to farmers ,fer one I luv that I git them ,My friend Jim went cariboo huntin while we's huntin his land,well we got a surprise ,Jim's got himself a Jackass (they hate coyotes),well 'parently they hate Toyota's it's occupants.charged the truck an harassed the people,that was fun to watch(on the other side o the[url] fence.herdin[/url] cattle,that jumped the fence,half huntin half cattle drive sometimes.
Cars burned in the bush,turkeys,peregrine falcons,coyotes,rainbow trout,greathorned owls,chickadees on the endo yer barrel,Whoops,racoons runnin over yer feet,Yow,skunks in the dark(yer move pal).Good Friends dealin cards they was dealt an don't fold,til the last hand dealt,the best.
Its all good
Last day,gotta go,Randy had ta git ready fer work,Malcolm bailed(wife)they're movin an she thinks she's doin all the movin,Hell Honey its huntin season.
So its down to me an Andy,I hunted alone for a few years,Andy was my first partner,we know the bushes like our livin room,so when I say go to the cut ,I go over the hogsbacksfrom the left an then strait in to you ,or I'm goin over the two north hogsback til I have ta jump the crick,if I can I will If I cain't I'll git wet an see ya over at the south creek.He actually will be where he said He would be and I 'mprobly wet ,cuz that crick,ya cain't jump it.We both git wet just different days is all.
We settled on Rabies,thats a place,where I got my record miss (3-3\4 yd).
Full moon ,man its brite,shadows in the snow,easy walkin in gfot to my stump and let things settle down,walkin in crunchy leaves,Loud.Lookin around notice the shadows cast by the moon,some nice that is an the snow is reflectin like a thousand fireflys,I swear,and always changin cuz of the moons slow descent in the sky.I looked at that moon and knew that a friend I had met online was in North Carolina ,with his son ,lookin at the same moon huntin deer like me.
Somethin EH.
OK an no freakin deer,well I'm doin the drive I got the wind an blowin to Andy ,long story short,no deer movin ,they were there that nite,full moons mite be purty ,but they change deer routines too,We did one more run at 40 acres,tuff with 2,I drove agin,same thing deer on nite shift we's on days,tracks all over,special one was I could see where 2 bucks fought it out,took a while to figger it out but ya could see where they both started from,pawin the ground,like a coupla old bulls and then they went at it ,groundall tore up under an apple tree(coulda been fitin over the last apple too,mind ya),an ya could see where the victor kicked dirt up as he went his way.
Well no deer ,lotsa memories tho ,some good

Last edited by a moderator:
Hawken - that was one of the funniest huntin' stories I have ever read - took me a minute to figure out where Cunuckistan was. Just my opinion after hearing all that trouble that cap lock was giving ya, you need to find a good flintlock. Believe it or not, I get more reliable ignitions with the flinter than my cap lock guns.

I'm glad my sad made ye glad,flint is comin,got me a bess an ye kin see by me distances ,I like ta shoot close ,They's in fer a serprise next year altho I trained them deer,to avoid the lead,cain't hardly await.

Back