• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

tennesee poor boy ??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
39" barrel, 6'1"...
Thats like me loading a 35" barrel.
So go to a 48" barrel, about like me loading a 44, and see how it works.
40" barrels are not a problem for me and I do use my foot. And I don't always shoot my match rifle in a range.
I wonder about people who were 5'4" loading 42-46" barreled rifles back in the day. Kinda hard to do this with the butt on your foot.
The Gillespie shown above seems to be remarkably free of dents and dings anywhere. It may have been a match rifle and was never really hunted with.
Dan

You should understand trigger options in general. Look up double set-double triggers which are most common for these rifles. Then look up single triggers and a couple of variations of trigger options so you understand these. Most single triggers can be arranged for a very clean let off, but you are asking about common usage and correctness.

But a glaring problem actually is not the trigger, but the lock. You should study the locks because most builders are offering large Silers which are nice locks, but are not particularly correct for the rifle that you are describing.
:stir:

CS

I once was concerned about no toe plate so I drilled a small pilot hole up thru that area and put in a counter sunk screw, it worked as far as I know as the toe never split off....but it may not have anyway :idunno:

I did the same thing to a rifle I use to have. The toe was already broken but counter sinking a small screw did the trick just fine.

Here is a six year old Gillespie. It has been used for hunting since I got it and reenacting the past two years.
I'm careful with it but not to the extreme.

SU1HMDM5NDktMjAxMjA4MDUtMTcwMi5qcGc.jpg

SU1HMDM5NTAtMjAxMjA4MDUtMTcwNC5qcGc.jpg

We have ridge and valley country here, nothing like the rough high country in Montana. Most of my hunting is done 150 miles south in the sandy swamps.

That 1810 Gillespie was taken care of quite well. There several others in Dennis' book that are slightly older and some a generation or to newer that show quite a lot of wear to the butt.

It's obvious they were prized and good quality guns. To this day Gillespie rifles are highly thought of in that region of NC.

Thanks and congratulations over your fine rifle and Dixon's ribbons. That is quite an accomplishment.

Jill Gillespie when she was quite newer. http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showpost.php?post/489543/
I did not build her and she does have some flaws like being a little thick in the wrist.
The rifle was built from a blank by a or I should say the Gillespie rifle enthusiast.

It was one of his first, so I got it basically for parts. The best deal I've ever had. It's my favorite.
I've got one on the Bench now from the 1810 pattern stock I posted earlier.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you don't like double set triggers then don't use them on your rifle.

There are single trigger rifles in all of the different schools and State style of rifles so yours won't be the only one.
In other words, it won't be "wrong" with either style of trigger.

If you are buying a pre-carve stock and you want a single trigger, talk to the vendor and ask them if you can get the stock without the trigger mortice in it.

Places which have already cut the trigger mortice won't be able to give you what you need if it was cut for a double set trigger.

Places like Pecatonica River will be more than happy to sell you a stock with only the features you want if you tell them so they could supply a stock without the trigger mortice.

I mention this because the mortice for a single trigger is smaller than the ones made for a double set trigger.

Without the trigger mortice, if you have a single trigger and trigger plate you will be the guy who locates it in the right place relative to the locks sear arm. Then you will have to cut the mortice but really this is easy if you have a 1/8" wide chisel.

By the way, locate the trigger pivot pin 5/16" in front of the locks sear arm. That will give you a very good trigger pull that will please the most finicky shooter.

Thanks and congratulations over your fine rifle and Dixon's ribbons. That is quite an accomplishment.

I will pass your kind words on to Walter Mabry since he built that rifle. I just hang around and try to look over his shoulder as he makes great things and I make feeble attempts at minor ones.

CS

Back