• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC rifle comparisons

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Banjoman I believe the OP's question was the following, so your answer was on point:

"I’m shopping for a used TC 50 cal and I realize I have no idea what the differences are between models, nor can I find anything that compares models in the same caliber."

Having said all this, I’ve never met a Thompson Center I didn’t like. I let a nice White Mountain Carbine get away not long ago. But my TC ‘Hawken’ has found a home.

That's a pretty big topic for this venue. T/C made a lot of guns over the years. Here is an excerpt from Wikipedia.com. I am by no means certain it is complete (or correct), but it will give you a good start:

Cherokee: Barrel: 24” octagonal, twist: 1:30 (32) & 1:48 (36 & 45), Trigger: double set, Caliber: 32, 36 & 45, Stock: American Walnut, Status: discontinued 1994, Ignition: percussion

Seneca: Barrel: 27” octagonal, twist: 1:30 (32) & 1:48 (36 & 45), Trigger: double set, Caliber: 32, 36 & 45, Stock: American Walnut, Status: discontinued 1987, Ignition: percussion

Hawken: Barrel: 28” octagonal, twist: 1:48, except 1:66 on 50 cal deep button rifling, Trigger: double set, Caliber: 45, 50 & 54, Stock: American Walnut, Status: 45 & 54 discontinued, 50 discontinued, many special editions, Ignition: flint & percussion

Cougar: Special edition of the Hawken, satin finish barrel, stainless furniture, highly figured wood

Renegade: Barrel: 26” octagonal, 1:38 (50), 1:48 (50 & 54), 1: 66 (50 deep button rifling), smoothbore (56), Trigger: double set, Caliber: 50, 54 & 56, Stock: American Walnut, Status: discontinued, Ignition: flintlock & percussion

New Englander Barrel: 26" round, 1:48 Trigger: single, Calibers: .50, .54, and 12 Gauge Stock: American Walnut or black synthetic Ignition: percussion Status: discontinued

White Mountain Carbine Barrel: 21" octagon to round, various twist rates Trigger: single Calibers .45, .50. 54 Stock: American Walnut or black synthetic Ignition: Percussion, Status: discontinued

Greyhawk Barrel 26" round, Stainless 1:48 Trigger: single Calibers: .50, .54 Stock: black synthetic Ignition: Percussion, Status: discontinued

Big Boar: Barrel: 26” octagonal, 1:48, Trigger: single, Caliber: 58, Stock: American Walnut, Status: discontinued, Ignition: percussion

T/C Hawken- .45, .50, .54 calibers, 28” 1:48” twist barrel, .50 barrel is 15/16” across the flats (I assume the .45 is too?), .54 barrel is 1” across the flats, brass trim, curved brass buttplate, dual set triggers.

T/C Renegade- .50, .54, .56 (smoothbore), 58 (Big Boar) calibers, 26” 1:48” twist barrel, barrels are 1” across the flats, blackened steel trim, “shotgun style” flat steel buttplate, dual set triggers (there is a Hunter model that has a single trigger set in an oversized trigger guard, and the Big Boar in .58 has a rubber butt plate, I believe).

FWIW, I've never seen a T/C Hawken issued with a 1/2 round/ 1/2 octagon barrel.
Pietro, my son in law inherited a TC hawken 50 cal w half round/half octagonal barrel. Barrel is stamped by TC just like their others. And the kicker is....it is stainless steel, including the lock. The other furniture is brass including the patch box. Some previous owner had shotgunned the stock, slightly shortened the barrel and deeply round dished the muzzle [like a funnel]. A scope had been installed w out the front sight being replaced. I had my smith cut a new dovetail and bought new [used] TC sights to make it hunt legal for MT. I just went out to the garage where it is hanging up to double check it before posting this. I do wonder if the half round was milled by whoever shortened the barrel. That part does not look re-worked to me though. TC custom shop job? I guess I need to learn how to post pics from my phone. The under side of the barrel is electro etched 'Fred Baird' if that rings a bell for anyone. Probably from Utah. SW

Just skimmed through this thread and I may have missed it, but saw no mention of the T/C Firestorm. I have 50 caliber one in flint. It has a round SS barrel with an easily removable breech plug and a composite stock. It was also offered in percussion.

Just skimmed through this thread and I may have missed it, but saw no mention of the T/C Firestorm. I have 50 caliber one in flint. It has a round SS barrel with an easily removable breech plug and a composite stock. It was also offered in percussion.
I too have a 50 cal firestorm, mine in stainless. Tc also made a percussion firestorm for two years (?) . Found one on eBay. Both in plastic stock.

I too have a 50 cal firestorm, mine in stainless. Tc also made a percussion firestorm for two years (?) . Found one on eBay. Both in plastic stock.

I have a stainless flint firestorm. Not many made. Reliable ignition with loose powder OR pellets; likes conicals. Just the sight of it causes seizures and conniption fits in the historically correct crowd LOL. In fact, I may just sling it up and walk around with it at the TN-KY show in Knoxville next week just for fun.

I have a stainless flint firestorm. Not many made. Reliable ignition with loose powder OR pellets; likes conicals. Just the sight of it causes seizures and conniption fits in the historically correct crowd LOL. In fact, I may just sling it up and walk around with it at the TN-KY show in Knoxville next week just for fun.
I passed on the first one i saw and expected the shop to make a counter offer, they didn’t. A co-worker bought it. The second one i paid the price at another shop, wasn’t going to loose two in a row.
Something about the shiny metal?! Left my Kibler Colonial in the white on purpose.

If I were starting out again, I'd find a Renegade. Ignition of your choice, same for caliber.
You'll look long and hard to find a more user friendly muzzleloader than a T/C Renegade. Enough weight , and a well designed stock to help with recoil. Excellent sights and generally very accurate. Long enough in barrel for good powder burn, but not long enough to be cumbersome.
Good rifles! I have 3. A percussion .54 and a pair of .50 flintlocks.
Totally agree. Love my .50 Renegade.

Latest posts

Back