• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC rifle comparisons

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob K

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I’m shopping for a used TC 50 cal and I realize I have no idea what the differences are between models, nor can I find anything that compares models in the same caliber. Has anyone tripped over this kind of info and can direct me?

basics ... different stock styles and hardware. other than that a .50 is a .50 also some have 1 inch barrels in .50 cal some have 13/16 [ lighter] and some have round or 1/2 round 1/2 octagon barrels. hope this helps a little.

EA5A351B-498E-42D3-A2DA-8C9E19169A8F.jpeg
This is a Thompson Center Hawken, not to be confused with a real Hawken. This one is .50 caliber.

Look up what a T/C Hawken, Renegade, White Mountain Carbine, Pennsylvania Hunter, Cherokee, and Seneca are, that's all the main sidelocks, I think, they also made some inlines, Hawken and Renegade, different barrel lengths, widths(depending on cal) and cosmetics, White Mountain carbine was a fast twist for conicals, and shorter, as the name carbine suggest, Pennsylvania Hunter was flintlock only and slow twist for roundball only, think it was a round barrel also instead of octagon, the Hawken was also made as a flint, don't remember if the Renegade was or not, Cherokee and Seneca were smaller width barrels smaller calibers, 45 or less Seneca was fancier than the Cherokee, I think that's all the high points, I'm sure someone else will let you know if I forgot something

I’m shopping for a used TC 50 cal and I realize I have no idea what the differences are between models, nor can I find anything that compares models in the same caliber. Has anyone tripped over this kind of info and can direct me?
Of course they come in Flintlock or Prec. Some are carbines due to barrel length, some have set trigger assembly while some have single trigger. .50 can be had in about 6 or 7 diff T/C models. White Mtn., Hawken, Renegade, Pn., Grey Hawk, New Englander, Scout n couple others

If I were starting out again, I'd find a Renegade. Ignition of your choice, same for caliber.
You'll look long and hard to find a more user friendly muzzleloader than a T/C Renegade. Enough weight , and a well designed stock to help with recoil. Excellent sights and generally very accurate. Long enough in barrel for good powder burn, but not long enough to be cumbersome.
Good rifles! I have 3. A percussion .54 and a pair of .50 flintlocks.

I would also recommend checking gunbroker as well as haunting your local gun shops ! have the t/c white mountain carbine and t/c grey hawk both in .50 , both percussion , both bought on GB and both shoot great. The 1:48 grey hawk loves the hornady pa conical 240 while the faster twist WMC does well with the 295 gr power belts that I shoot in my in-line Both with 70 gr 777 , only cuz real black is scarce in my area. Luckily I have had no ignition issues with cci #11 magnum caps . I purchased mine New Old Stock but they also have plenty of used guns that appear in great shape . They are not quite as beautiful as the Hawken , Seneca , Renegade etc but are shorter and lighter making them great for hunting from a treestand , ground blind or still hunting in thick woods like I do here in the granite state. I guess it boils down to what you’re going to use it for . This forum has tons of info as well as ML’s for sale , good luck in your search.

I would also recommend checking gunbroker as well as haunting your local gun shops ! have the t/c white mountain carbine and t/c grey hawk both in .50 , both percussion , both bought on GB and both shoot great. The 1:48 grey hawk loves the hornady pa conical 240 while the faster twist WMC does well with the 295 gr power belts that I shoot in my in-line Both with 70 gr 777 , only cuz real black is scarce in my area. Luckily I have had no ignition issues with cci #11 magnum caps . I purchased mine New Old Stock but they also have plenty of used guns that appear in great shape . They are not quite as beautiful as the Hawken , Seneca , Renegade etc but are shorter and lighter making them great for hunting from a treestand , ground blind or still hunting in thick woods like I do here in the granite state. I guess it boils down to what you’re going to use it for . This forum has tons of info as well as ML’s for sale , good luck in your search.

I have three T-C Renegades and a CVA Hawken all in .54. All are set up differently and all four shoot like you dream about. All the .50's I have seen in these models also shoot great. I think you will be happy with any of them when you find it.

Ive been looking at Hawkins and Renegades and I got twisted up because a few of the Hawkins had different length barrel in 50 cal. Did not know about the 1” and 15/16”. Never heard of White Mountain, PA Hunter, etc. sheltered life I guess but will keep on looking. Gun Broker is familiar to me Re: modern rifles so will check them out on BP. Thanks everyone for the input. I’m a data base thinker and thought there must be a data comparison on these rifles show the differences and why. A good project to think about.

The tc hawken in 50 cal 15/16" barrel is the most common and is an excellent choice. The TC Hawken 50 caliber with 1" barrel is much heavier and actually offers no advantage over the lighter 15/16". In fact they may never have made a tc Hawken 50 cal in 1".

The Renegade only comes in 1" and is on the heavy side in 50 caliber. Also many of the Renegades have a stock with less drop at the heel to accommodate scopes. Definitely try the fit on the Renegade before buying.

Some comparison photos:...be aware each of the barrels are custom cut /bored renegade barrels in pictures and all stocks have hunter single trigger

Top gun is a T/C Big Bore Stock with a 1" Renegade barrel 22" 58cal
Next down is a Renegade Stock (not as beefy as top stock) with a 1" Renegade barrel 24" 54 cal
Bottom two are White Mountain Carbine 54 Cal Stocks with 1" Renegade barrels 22" and 21" both 54 cal

The second one down weights 7lbs 2ozs. All the others weigh in at around 6lbs 10 ozs plus or minus a couple

You can also get 50 cal White Mountain Carbine stocks with 15/16th" barrel channels

Thumper Carbines.jpg

WMC 50 cal come in three different twists depending on when they were made 1:28; 1:32; and 1:48 The WMC 54 cal came in 1:48 twist. Later versions of the WMC came with the QLA feature. The Big Boar came in 58 cal only for a very short period of time..I think 1 year only.

Last edited:
gunbroker has one of the best ones they make right now,, hawken 50 cal percussion in laminated stock (New old stock) it is a bit pricey,, but will only go up... they are very rare heard they built 1000. , i have one & know one other person with one,,, they are good looking and shoot very good... well taken care of, you will always be able to get your $ back!! i shoot 500grain no excuses out of mine very well,, these are 48 twist barrels so shooting ball or bullet works.. Good shooting!

Ive been looking at Hawkins and Renegades and I got twisted up because a few of the Hawkins had different length barrel in 50 cal. Did not know about the 1” and 15/16”. Never heard of White Mountain, PA Hunter, etc. sheltered life I guess but will keep on looking. Gun Broker is familiar to me Re: modern rifles so will check them out on BP. Thanks everyone for the input. I’m a data base thinker and thought there must be a data comparison on these rifles show the differences and why. A good project to think about.
It's not so much a data base as a loading manual. From 1982 through 1995, Gun Digest Books published a set of loading manuals that had load data and performance numbers of many of the production rifles offered at the time. Even though the data is 20 years old, the performance of these rifles today is still the same as it was then. Used loading manuals are available on Amazon.

The following is a link to the first edition of the Loading Manual. While it was published in 1982, the data for most of the guns tested then and listed in the 1995 edition are identical. Not worth the higher cost for the later editions in my opinion.

https://www.amazon.com/Digest-Black...ix=black+powder+loading+manual,aps,571&sr=8-3

basics ... different stock styles and hardware. other than that a .50 is a .50 also some have round or 1/2 round 1/2 octagon barrels. hope this helps a little.

FWIW, I've never seen a T/C Hawken issued with a 1/2 round/ 1/2 octagon barrel.

Hawken, Renegade, Seneca, Cherokee, Tree Hawk, Silver Hawk, White Mountain Carbine, New Englander, Big Boar, PA Hunter, Flint, percussion, wood stocks, wood laminate stocks, plastic stocks, straight stock, semi pistol grip stocks, 32,40,45,50, 54,58,56sb, 12 GA, octagon, round barrel, half octagon/half round, single trigger, dual set trigger. 13/16" barrel, 15/16th" barrel, 1" barrel. Ok, what did I miss? I know there are a couple more models I can't remember..
1681077729732.png

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back