• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thompson Center 50 cal Express info

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey fellas I randomly came across this TC Express today at a local gun shop. I knew it was possibly rare because I never heard of this model. After a quick trip home and a search on google, I decided I had to have it. I checked the bore with my drop in light, the springs for the hammer, also had the shop owner pull it apart put it back together since it’s shop policy. Everything seems to check out so I bought it. The only concern I have is with the front site which I’m sure I can adjust if needed or possible replace with Williams gun sight co being nearby. So my question is can anyone give me some information on this gun? Ballpark value? Experience’s with this model? Twist rate?
Thanks MidMichiganJake
Shoot Straight

Attachments

• IMG_8388.jpeg
    IMG_8388.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_8389.jpeg
    IMG_8389.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8390.jpeg
    IMG_8390.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8391.jpeg
    IMG_8391.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8392.jpeg
    IMG_8392.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8393.jpeg
    IMG_8393.jpeg
  • IMG_8386.jpeg
    IMG_8386.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8397.jpeg
    IMG_8397.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8400.jpeg
    IMG_8400.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8402.jpeg
    IMG_8402.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
I have misplaced my catalogues an only have the duplicates available. The overall rifle is very similar to the High Plains Sporter circa 1993 and only catalogued that year, luckily that's one I have. TC had several models only offered for one year in the regular catalogues and many others that were produced out of their Fox Ridge shop and not in the regular catalogues. I'd be curious which this one is as I've never heard of one either. Good score.
IMG_20231121_192706250_HDR.jpg

I also have a Thompson Center Express rifle. I have only seen one in person and I promptly purchased it this past summer. They have a 1:38 twist, some are rifled all the way to the muzzle and others have QLA. Mine has the QLA muzzle (meaning it’s smooth the last inch). I first shot it with a 250 grain TC Shockwave sabot with 75 grains of FFF GOEX. That shot great out to 100 yards! However, I don’t like shooting modern bullets and wanted to try shooting patched roundball. I was a little nervous about the 1:38 faster twist, but my rifle shoots great with a .490 round ball, .015” patch, and 60 grains of FFF GOEX (my normal hunting load). I even decided to try it at a local Rendezvous shooting match. I went down to 30 grains and it shot through the same hole all day long at 25 yards (the event is offhand shooting novelty targets at 25 yards). I ended up winning first place for the weekend with it!

The front sight on yours is a taller aftermarket replacement. The factory one should be a shorter sight with a white bead. The ramp on yours is correct. Everything else appears to be original. That short tang is retained with a long tang bolt that correctly passes through the stock to engage the trigger assembly below.

I really like the pistol grip stock and it fits me well. The flip up rear sights are cool and I plan to try some longer range shooting with it next year. Definitely a neat gun that you don’t see often! Thompson Center never listed it in any of their catalogs. You will enjoy yours! I plan on keeping mine for a long time!

Thanks everyone for the valuable information, I plan on shooting it tomorrow afternoon. I will post better quality pictures then. I’m going to start with hawken2012 loads then go from there. Only difference is I’m shooting 2FF scheutzen black powder. Never tried goex brand before only because I haven’t came across it. I agree with hawken2012 about how the gun shoulders with a pistol grip stock. This express might be the new deer gun for me 🤠

Hey guys, hope you all had a great thanksgiving. I got busy over the weekend and was not able shoot the express as much as I wanted too. I shot about 5 shots through it, so far I like it a lot. Went with a hornady .490 round ball, .15 patch, bore butter for lube, 60 grains 2FF. I will post a more detailed post with pics and load info that works best for me. The rifle also has the QLA barrel like Hawken2012 mentioned above and his hunting load shot well. Its is the most balanced sidelock I own and shoulders great.

I took the express to the range yesterday and was very pleased with the rifle. I shot hawken2012 hunting load of .490 Hornady round ball, .15 patch, 60 grains 2FF, bore butter lube. With some minor adjustments to the front sight, I believe the gun will be extremely accurate. The first few shots were low and to the left. I adjusted my sight picture and held at 2 o'clock and was able to shoot a decent 3 shot group at 50 yards. I think I'll buy a sight pusher and clean up the marring in the near future. No plans to put a peep on this rifle yet. I'm liking the express sights so far. The express will be my new deer gun, hopefully I'll have some luck late season here in Michigan.

Here are some update pictures, it should help explain the express sights better. Also the mis alignment of the front sight. And the three shot group.

Attachments

• IMG_8495.jpeg
    IMG_8495.jpeg
    577.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8493.jpeg
    IMG_8493.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8518.jpeg
    IMG_8518.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8505.jpeg
    IMG_8505.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8517.jpeg
    IMG_8517.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8494.jpeg
    IMG_8494.jpeg
    189.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8509.jpeg
    IMG_8509.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8501.jpeg
    IMG_8501.jpeg
    945.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8499.jpeg
    IMG_8499.jpeg
    243.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8496.jpeg
    IMG_8496.jpeg
    301.6 KB · Views: 0
Here's what I did with my sights to make them work better for me. I replaced the factory white plastic bead front sight with a Marbles brass bead sight. I pulled out the brass bead insert and turned down a piece of nickel silver to fit the hole. I press fitted it in and polished it bright. For the rear sights I filed a slight curve downward on the top of the sight inserts between the sides. I did this because the inserts must have been stamped out at the factory and the tops were rounded and not crisp at 90 degrees to the top. This picked up light and the glaring made it hard to get elevation consistent shot to shot. I then cut the notches deeper with a rounded bottom (the factory notches are pretty shallow) so it just touches the tip of that triangle. I brushed the white paint out of the triangle in the sights, as it was too distracting for me. This set-up works perfectly! I put the nickel silver dot in the rounded notch and it glows perfectly when centered. This shrunk my groups and made sighting consistent. Plus, the nickel silver dot glows in the early and late minutes of the hunt!

Attachments

• Front Sight.jpg
    Front Sight.jpg
  • Rear Sight.jpg
    Rear Sight.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Back