• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Target shooting. Roundball .440 vs .445

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
With a properly fitted patch and same lube will one ball shoot better groups than the other? I will be testing later in the season. Just currious what others have found.

Depends on the rifle. In my Jukar .45 caliber rifle, I use 45 grains of 3f, a .440 home cast lead round ball and spit lubed cotton patch. From a sand bag rest it will shoot two inch (and sometimes one inch) groups at 50 yards.

A lead ball will expand to fill the grooves. Having to beat the hell out of the ball to get it to seat will leaves marks on the ball that can effect your group. Also if your patch is showing lots of burn and gas leak marks your group will also suffer. Consistency of chamber pressure is very important in good repeatable shooting.

The three factors; 1 actual bore size. 2 actual patch thickness and toughness. 3 actual ball size.

With either size ball you should be able to pull a good combination together.

What does a shredded patch mean? (Round Ball)
It can mean that the muzzle is rough and loading is damaging the patch and final shredding is happening on the outbound trip.

It might mean that the rifling is sharp and ditto the above.

Could be that the patch is so thin that it's not performing the function of the patch at all.

Could mean the patch material is weak and of low quality. Not performing it's function.

These are all issues that are often addressed with "load development". Varying powder charges, powder type, granulation, patch material, lube, etc. A best result can be found but not necessarily a good one.

I'm still kinda new at this, but when I first got my pedersoli kentucky I was shooting .445 with .010 patches. The day came when dry balled ,we all do it, but we we pulled the ball the rifling was dug well into the ball. Went to .440 ball with the same patch. Loaded much easier and group sizes got better.

One of the better expenditures one can spend for this hobby is a reasonably good digital vernier caliper. For $25 one can get one that reads US standard and metric. It will measure outside dimensions, inside dimensions, and depth. There's a number of vendors that sell them. Harbor Freight, Midway USA and probably several others. We can measure patch thickness, bore diameter, barrel dimensions, frizzen width, length from the jaw screw to the face of the frizzen, ball diameter and more.

A lead ball will expand to fill the grooves.
You want the patch material to fill the grooves and grip the ball. You will see the imprint of the fabric weave on the ball if you pull it after loading where the lands in the bore compressed the patch.
Also if your patch is showing lots of burn and gas leak marks your group will also suffer.
Usually because the patch is too thin and not filling the grooves in the bore.

Latest posts

Back