• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tap- o- cap style musket cap tool question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I would like to ask the forums opinion. Do you feel there is a need/ market for a cap making tool , similar to the old Tap-o-cap , but larger, to produce musket sized caps?
I can't be the first person to think of this, so before I invest the $$$ I thought I'd like to hear your opinions. Thank you guys in advance for you kind replies.

I would like to ask the forums opinion. Do you feel there is a need/ market for a cap making tool , similar to the old Tap-o-cap , but larger, to produce musket sized caps?
I can't be the first person to think of this, so before I invest the $$$ I thought I'd like to hear your opinions. Thank you guys in advance for you kind replies.
I have two muskets and a bunch of caps, but if I could not find any caps I would be looking for a tool to make them. Rather I buy yours or not depends on quality. Good luck

Absolutely, there is a need for such a cap maker.

If you have the needed skills ,there are plans available to make your own. I don't know of anybody making and selling the Musket size die. It would be nice though.

If you have the needed skills ,there are plans available to make your own. I don't know of anybody making and selling the Musket size die. It would be nice though.
I actually found one in Europe. The guy was using a 3 D printer. I bought one from hone out of curiosity and to take measurements. The thing is made od plastic. I'll be making mine out of quality steel.

I probably won’t live long enough to finish off the caps I have now but the tool would be good. Do you think you could put the waterproof foil inside the caps? The different brands I have had over the years always had an inner seal in the caps.

The only concern I would have is the larger size of musket caps and something getting in the cap and igniting it. I popped one in the garage to be sure the nipple/barrel was clear after cleaning and it was so strong it made my ears ring a few days ago. A box of them going off wouldn’t be as bad as blasting caps but might make some shrapnelg.

I built one years ago and still use it. Just a scaled up version of the #11 tool. If I were in a position to produce them I am confident they would sell. So far, musket caps have been more available then standard ones but that could change at any time. As a bonus, the homemade caps will fire my Sharps rifle reliably where the CCI weak ones do not. I say if you have the means to make them, go for it! There is a demand out there.

I probably won’t live long enough to finish off the caps I have now but the tool would be good. Do you think you could put the waterproof foil inside the caps? The different brands I have had over the years always had an inner seal in the caps.

The only concern I would have is the larger size of musket caps and something getting in the cap and igniting it. I popped one in the garage to be sure the nipple/barrel was clear after cleaning and it was so strong it made my ears ring a few days ago. A box of them going off wouldn’t be as bad as blasting caps but might make some shrapnelg.
The tool I'm looking to build only forms the cap itself. I would leave the choice of priming compounds up to the individual buyer.
Me personally, I'm going to attempt to replicate the H11 PRIMING compound to test in my rifled muskets.

Ok It happens Are you sure you want a formula that uses glass? It gave it a try once and never again. You can feel that glass grit and it's on everything. The glass does nothing for you. The FA-42 will do all you can want.

Ok It happens Are you sure you want a formula that uses glass? It gave it a try once and never again. You can feel that glass grit and it's on everything. The glass does nothing for you. The FA-42 will do all you can want.
I've wondered about that! I don't really understand the point of the powdered glass? I'll look into the FA-42, TY, I appreciate it.

Back