• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Talk me into a .54 GPR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowboy2

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I've got a GPR in .50 that I'm really pleased with, but I'm thinking about picking up a .54 as well. Its for targets, deer, and hogs- and heck, who knows, maybe an elk hunt one day.

Now, what I need is for you gentlemen to give me lots of reasons (ahem, excuses) for adding a new caliber to the stable.

Here goes:

1. You can't get into Heaven without a .54
2. A .54 covers anything you'll ever be likely to shoot.
3. It hits with finality.
4. It's popular and easy to find stuff for.
5. Doesn't particularly kick
6. Works well with powder charges similar to a .50.

Will that do it?

Here's a good one- Just pick up a 54 cal barrel and swap it for the 50 barrel when you feel the urge. Think of the money you're saving! :rotf:

If you're like me, I'm betting the 54 barrel gets lots more use.

My favorite whitetail rifle ball size is .54 cal.

I have never had anything but comlete pass-thoughs.

In the same size barrel profile it will be slightly lighter than a .50

The balls carry 28% more mass than a .50, and so carry energy downrange better.

You can tell folks it's a "30 gauge rifle".

You want one - you know it. ;-)

I agree with BB, just get a .54 GPR barrel and have fun. The .54 is lighter than the .50 so you may be more comfortable shooting one or the other but accuracy should be equal. Unless the .54 GPR you are looking at just has a drop dead gorgeous piece of walnut for the stock then save some money.

:thumbsup: I sold a Knight inline .50 to buy the parts to build my Va. .54. Never looked back and never regretted it a single day.

I have four .54 caliber rifles. Just love that caliber! Two of them are GPRs, one percussion and one flint I built from a kit. Why not consider a .54 kit? They go together easily and quickly. Keep your .50 GPR for a loaner rifle or pass it on to the kids. You can always use another rifle. If you just get a .54 barrel, after a while you'll find the only use for that the only use the .50 caliber eill is as a fishing weight. DNR Sports has the .54 GPR flint kit for $394.99: http://www.dnrsports.com/catalog/product/98526c69629eb8559db5c60192d1e10b . Something to think about.

Last edited by a moderator:
You have to have a 54 in order to get a 58,then, 69, etc, etc. All the incentive you need. Good luck.

I wanted a .54 for three reasons:

1). Excellent killing power on large game without need to resort to bullets.

2). To be different.

3). Balls are easier to load than bullets and more accurate.

Greg

When you show your friends your muzzle loaders you can say with authority that that one is a .54 instead of saying that it's "just a .50" :wink:

davycrockett.jpg

why get a 54?
because it's there.......

There is no reason to get it. :grin:
It is a gun so get it. What's so hard to understand? :shocked2:
It's written, 2nd chapter of Jude, verse 18 says, “Who-so-ever haveth the most guns win.”
Or something close to that. :hmm:

Like it or not, these days especially, owning a gun is a STATEMENT. Owning something a bit bigger than the normal, amplifies that statement.

Greg

I'm not one for the bigger is better bandwagon. If you want a .54 by all means get one. I've only experience with the .50 and the largest game I hunt is whitetail. The .50 is way more than adequate in my limited experience. Now, I have a .62 smoothbore, haven't shot it yet due to injury. I bought it thinking that it would be my do-all gun from bunnies to deer. But no, I've still got a hankering for a rifle and for me its a toss up between a .45 and .50. If I lived in country with bigger game, I'd go with a .54 over a .50.

If you want one, get one.

Thanks for all the input. Last night the .50 zapped through a big hog, and I've about decided she's going to do the job on anything I'm likely to face near term. However, I plan on picking up a TVM Southern Mountain Rifle in the next year of so, and I'll probably get it in .54.

Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back