• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C Seneca 36 Cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ike

40 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I have been looking for the specifications for this muzzleloader on the internet. I have not been able to locate good information especialy the barrel twist rate. I would also like info on the round ball loads you may be using. Also what is a ball park value of this muzzleloader in very good condition. Thanks.

My .32 T/C was 1:30", but I can't recall if the .36 was the same.

PRB = 40gr FFFg to 50gr MAX

Maxi-Ball = 40ge FFFg to 60gr MAX

A used Seneca in good condition is costing between $300 and $400. They are expensive, because there simply are not many around for sale. They have always had a fine reputation for accuracy, and those owners who bothered to learn to load and shoot them are reluctant to let them get out of the family.

Typical Rate of Twist for the .36 is 1:48", and is designed to shoot RB. T/C also made its Maxiball in that caliber, and some members here report good accuracy with that bullet. 30-40 grains of FFFg Goex is the typical range of loads used in the Seneca, but you will find people reducing the load to 20 grains for taking squirrels, and people increasing the powder charge to up to 50 grains when hunting large varmints, at longer ranges, like Coyote.

The .36 is known for its fine accuracy, and lack of recoil. The small powder charge and small ball of about 65 grains allows the shooter to do a lot of Plinking all day long, for very little cost, compared to using larger caliber rifles.

In any recession, everyone tightens up on the budget and spending, even those who still have jobs. A .36 caliber RB, cast will give you 107 balls per pound. At $1.00 per pound for Purchased lead, that is $.01 per ball. Not bad.

Powder, at a discount price of $14.00 per lb. will give you 230 shots per pound, or about $.06 per shot.

The most expensive item these days may be the percussion caps, with prices hitting the roof. At $16.00 per thousand( if you are lucky-I saw some priced at $35.00 per thousand at a gun show a few months ago) each cap costs you $.016.

If you have a flintlock, flints are running about $1.00 each. In a well tuned lock you should be able to expect to get 80-120 shots per flint. That would give you an average cost of $.01 per shot.

Compare that total cost per shot, to the cost for fixed ammo- $1.00+ per rd. for most centerfire cartridges, and you understand why its hard to pry Seneca Rifles from the hands of current owners.

Good luck. :surrender: :hmm: :thumbsup:

I've never seen a flint last more than 15 shots.

There's a nice Seneca on Gunbroker but it's listed as a Hawken.

Is the lock on a Seneca the same as on other TC guns?
I have never seen a real one. But if it is, I get 75 to a hundred out of most flints on my 50 cal TC Hawken. Some only go 25 or 30 but mostly much longer. Talking flintlocks anyway, since this is the precussion forum.

Mark, you must have the worst luck with muzzleloaders. Can't get an expensive one to shoot good and can't get a flint to go past 15 shots. Hope that new GPR works out for ya. I have a lock that is not nice on flints and I can get at least 20 shots sometimes 30 or 40. I have never gotten any where near 80 though. OOPS, sorry, why are we talking flints here anyway?

Locks can be tuned- both in flint and percussion. I don't know if the lock on the Seneca is the same size as used on the Hawken or renegade, but if I had an Old style T/C lock on a gun that delivered that poorly on flints, I would send the lock back and ask the company to fix it, or replace it.

I suspect you might get one of their Newly designed locks, where the geometry is much better, and the frizzens made of better steel.

The biggest reason that flintlocks "eat" flints is that the angle of Impact of the flint to the frizzen is wrong. The AOI should be 60 degrees. Use a simply protractor you can buy in the school supply section of your grocery store, for less than one dollar, to check the AOI on the lock.

The Second biggest source of problems is a Mainspring meant to hold up the Empire State Building! :shocked2: :rotf: :hmm: Removing a few coils reduces the damage down to flints, and extends flint life dramatically. Cutting coils is cut and test type of work. Most factory coil springs can be visibly to STACK - when compressed. The coil is compressed so much that it begins to "snake" or bend to one side or the other from the center strut.

Just relieving the "stacking" will improve trigger pull on these locks. 15 lbs. of tension required to cock the hammer back is more than sufficient to insure fast hammer fall, and good ignition. However, it will save a lot of flint life for you. :thumbsup:

The Seneca and Cherokee locks are not the same as those on other T/C guns like the Hawken and Renegade. They are smaller and don't have the engraved scroll work like the larger versions. They are color case hardened though and the hammer is different also.
Bob

I don't believe the Seneca or the Cherokee were ever offered in a flinlock model. They both had fairly short manufacturing runs. The Seneca first, then the Cherokee. The Patriot pistol had a lock all its own. I just checked an old T/C catalog, (no. 10).

wonder if any one ever made a drop-in or easily fit flintlock for these little guns. i have several of them and they would make a great little flinter i think.

There are no parts available for the Seneca or the Cherokee. I believe the plant where they were made burned down.

TC does not advertize it, but they do in fact have some parts for the Sencea and Cherokee. Some of the shops that supply muzzle loading items still have parts. You have to call around, but they are out there. These are very well made rifles and they are well worth the price being asked when they are offered for sale.

I got replacement hammers and sights from TC at no cost.As of 2 yrs ago I was told they were recasting some parts.Paid for an extra hammer just in case!

Latest posts

Back