• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C Hawken shoots high

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BAC

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi all,
I recently purchased a .50 cal T/C Hawken. I needed to do browning job and a few other fixes. It turned out pretty nice. I took it out shooting and am using .490 balls, .015 buttered patches. I started with 50gr of FFFG Pyrodex and shot three shots at 50 yards. I ran a damp patch and then a dry patch down the barrel after each shot. They all struck the target 6 inches high but within 2 inches of each other.I tried to lower the rear site but it was all the way down. I then shot at the target at 100 yards with the same load. They all struck about 12 inches high.
What can I do to get this baby sited in besides installing a taller front site? The rifle has the stock rear site.
I did try 50,60 to 70 gr of powder, but results were about the same.
Can anyone help? Thanks ahead of help!
Bob

Can you post a picure of your rifle. I don't see how that can be possible. The front or rear sight has got to be different from factory.

Robert

When I got my first muzzleloader ,a .54 T/C Hawken
kit it shot low ,about a foot @100yds with the sights adjusted up. I callewd T/C about ordering some longer screws so I could shim up the rear sight.
T/C told me to return the barrel & sent me a bran new factory blued barrel, guess it was a problem with the barrel .it shoots great, I did after some time switch the sights over to the Renegade type sights, flat top rear & partridge front

I concur!

Seems like someone was shooting Maxi's through it and had the sights set high to lob the Maxi's in!

Dave

Robert,
I will post a picture as soon as possible.
Thank you.
Bob

If you have a sq. front sight,you could add a dab of J B Weld,file to shape,and paint black.

Robert,
Here is a photo of my Hawken that shoots high with the rear sight all the way down.
Bob

P1030162.jpg

I think you could purchase an after market front sight that is taller. Or, consider using conicals.

I was thinking mabe someone filed the front down but from what I can tell in the picture it doesn't look like it has been filed on so I don't know. Are you sure you are getting the bead on the top of the front sight down into the little rounded area at the bottom of the v on the rear sight? If you are then before I did anything I would call Thompson Center and tell them about your problem. You know that their Lifetime Warranty id good even though you are not the original owner. They may tell you to send in the barrel for them to look at and they may give you a new one.

Robert

Good point. Where are you putting the bead? Flush at the top or at the bottom of the V?

The front sight is new from T/C. The original was slightly bent. Same height as old sight.
I am putting the bead of the front sight down in the hole in the "V" of the rear sight. I thought at first I was not doing that, so I was very careful to make sure.
I E-Mailed T/C customer service a few days ago, but have not heard back from them yet.
Thanks for the help. I guess I'll keep trying to contact T/C.
Bob

Forget the email to T/C, hay will grow quicker. Call them, tell them the problem & they will fix it. I've never had any fast response with email with them..
I had a lock problem with a Renegade and emailed them, then with no responce I called them and sent the frame in, with in a week they returned it fixed. I got the returned email from them 3 weeks later after I got my lock fixed by them. :shake:

Thanks All,
I called T/C and they said send it in. I will let you all know how it turns out. Thanks again!
Bob

tc tried telling me to send my rifle in too. their sights are just manure. they didnt even offer enough adjustment to the right to get it center. i was 8" high @ 50 yards and a 405 grain conical!

they really need to get their act together with the sights.

I have a T/C Hawken and had no issues with the factory sights. I can adjust from 25 yards to 75 yards with no problems. Hope you get you problems resolved.

Back