• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C Hawken lock problem

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sister

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey guys. I have a T/C .50 Hawken with double set triggers. I had the lock fixed a couple of years ago because it would not half-cock...I sent it to T/C and they repaired it and it worked fine.

I hauled it out and here we are again; it will not half-cock without several attempts...which is better than the first time but still problematic.

I am going to chat with the good folks at T/C, probably send it in...but has anyone got any idea what causes this problem? I have not used it in a good while (got hit by a car and had to recover)..so I am rather mystified as to why the return to this condition.

Siani

Little thing in there called the "fly detent". It's alittle arrow shaped thing that helps the sear skip the half cock when fired.
I could be that the lock internals are just gummed up with dryed out lube, or that it's plain dry of lube and the detent is bound up in there.

Take the lock out and spray the internals down with a good oil solvent (brake cleaner), dry it and apply a few drops of oil to the moving parts.
Here's the fly;
HPIM0589.jpg

Also, make sure the 2 screws that hold the bridle plate in are tight.

I'm going to bet it is gummed up too. It is very unlikely you would have two failures from TC, if it was 'repaied' the first time. Are you sure it isn't something you are doing to it?

Capper said:
Lube it with Ballistol. It won't gum up from BP.

There's no "Magic" lube, mineral oil get's gummy too.
The deal is you just gotta break'm down and clean an lub'm every so often.
Not to pick on the OP, but,,
Plenty'a folks don't even pull the lock let alone the trigger.

I use Ballistol in the C&B action. It gets way more residue than a ML rifle, and it's never gummed on me. If it doesn't gum as a patch lube. It's not likely to gum in a lock.

Of course you have to clean your gun when it needs it. Common sense there. :idunno:

I have not pulled the lock since it was repaired and I put it back in so that is very likely the problem. Guilty as charged.

I'm pretty sure it is not something I am doing to it. I think gummed up is likely the problem. I noted this morning that I could hear it go into half cock when I pulled it back, which was not the case yesterday. I am about to pull it and clean it all up good and proper, as I should have done first in any case.

I am a properly chastened lass, yes I am. :redface:

I took the lock off and gave it a good cleaning and a bit of oil. Worked up all the rest of it while I was at it. That did the trick; she works a charm now, she surely does.

Thank you gentlefolk. A little reminder along with a bit of humble pie is a good thing. It surely is. :)

Some generic gun oil, since that is what I have at the moment.

Siani

You probably will be better off using Vegetable Cooking oil from your kitchen, than generic gun oils. Just a suggestion, so you don't have to go spend more money when you already have a good oil to use. :surrender: :thumbsup:

paulvallandigham said:
You probably will be better off using Vegetable Cooking oil from your kitchen,

Bagh! :shake:

A good, plain simple gun oil is all that's needed on lock internal and triggers.
The issue is going after it on a regular basis. I'd just as soon use 3 in 1 oil or sewing machine oil before I dipped in any cooking oils!!
Sweet oil maybe, and only for a short period, but not processed vegetable oil!!

I also recommend you not use vegetable oil form the kitchen. Use any gun oil your local store carries. I like Rem-oil and Hoppe's. Just clean your gun when you use it. It will not gum and it won't rust either. :wink:

I have no intention of using vegetable oil. :) For now I have the basic gun oil...I will look into some of the others as time allows.

I will, however, clean it often...lesson has been well learned indeed. :)

Thanks guys! :)

Back