• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I am probably a bonehead I just need help knowing how

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am still new to the world of muzzleloaders so please forgive me if this is a goofy very simple answer.

I have an Italian 1861 Springfield that after purchasing I could not hit the broad side of a barn with, after doing some research on here/elsewhere I heard about Progressive depth rifling and the work of mr Bob Hoyt. After speaking with him I gave him my barrel and had it relined, now let me be clear I have absolutely 0 issues with Mr Hoyt or his work he was wonderful to deal with from start to finish and he did a great job.

I took the rifle out to shoot today since I got the barrel back I was shooting Lee .575 cast minie balls sized to .575 lubed with beeswax/tallow but after just 2 shots I was completely fouled out couldn't even get the third shot a quarter of the way down the barrel. The liner Mr Hoyt installed is .577 is this too tight of a tolerance with a .575 ball do I have to size these down a few thousandths of an inch?

Much appreciated guys thank you

@jrweis1997, two thousandths undersized is just about right. The lubricant should be fairly soft to keep the fouling soft. The rifling is new and sharp and probably rough. @bajabuc is offering a good suggestion. Use a 50 caliber jag with that Scotch Brite pad. Smoothing the lands and grooves is going to help with reducing the fouling. You may need more tallow in the lubricant. What powder are you using?

@jrweis1997, two thousandths undersized is just about right. The lubricant should be fairly soft to keep the fouling soft. The rifling is new and sharp and probably rough. @bajabuc is offering a good suggestion. Use a 50 caliber jag with that Scotch Brite pad. Smoothing the lands and grooves is going to help with reducing the fouling. You may need more tallow in the lubricant. What powder are you using?
60 grains of FF

This is why I love this site I never would have known to try that with the scotch brite, I will get my hands on a 50 cal jag and try that this week

Well...heck...now I feel guilty. duelist 54 was the one who showed me the scotchbrite trick...he's on You Tube

Before doing anything with the bore, work more on the load. Switch from FFG to FFFG powder, less fouling that way. Are you using pure soft lead? If your lead is too hard, the minie may not be expanding letting the gases go past on firing, fouling the bore. What are you using for lube? A different lube mixture may help with fouling. Your minie may actually be a little small, if your bore is a true, measured .577 I'd be using a .576 minie. The closer the bullet is to bore size, the less gases are going to get past it on firing. The sooner the ball expands into the rifling on firing, the better, it helps clear the fouling a bit with each shot.

Last edited:
If you are truly shooting .575" Minies in a .577" bore, you should be able to load at least 15-20 times or more with no trouble, in my experience. I suggest measuring everything again, with pin gauges to measure the bore.

I am still new to the world of muzzleloaders so please forgive me if this is a goofy very simple answer.

I have an Italian 1861 Springfield that after purchasing I could not hit the broad side of a barn with, after doing some research on here/elsewhere I heard about Progressive depth rifling and the work of mr Bob Hoyt. After speaking with him I gave him my barrel and had it relined, now let me be clear I have absolutely 0 issues with Mr Hoyt or his work he was wonderful to deal with from start to finish and he did a great job.

I took the rifle out to shoot today since I got the barrel back I was shooting Lee .575 cast minie balls sized to .575 lubed with beeswax/tallow but after just 2 shots I was completely fouled out couldn't even get the third shot a quarter of the way down the barrel. The liner Mr Hoyt installed is .577 is this too tight of a tolerance with a .575 ball do I have to size these down a few thousandths of an inch?

Much appreciated guys thank you
Ignore all the internet knowledge and call Mr. Hoyt first. Just ask him. He’s the one to listen to. Sure, sometimes you can get get advice from the “experten”, but often it’s worth just what you paid for it. You already paid Mr. Hurt, so I assume that you respect his opinion.

Back