• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Crack in Becky’s Frizzen

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good evening! I just recently purchased a custom belt pistol on the forum classifieds. I took it out to shoot it for the first time this afternoon and discovered a crack on the lower portion of the frizzen, approximately 1/3rd of the way through. I don’t know if this stems from improper hardening or what, but I’d imagine it’s only going to get worse over time. In any case, I either need to repair or purchase a new frizzen for this “Becky” lock. Does anyone have any ideas as to whether these are still available and where? If not, what’s the best way to go about attempting a repair?

IMG_0420.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0421.jpeg
    IMG_0421.jpeg
    553.6 KB · Views: 0
can you post a picture of the whole lock? I might have a frizzen floating around a drawer.
If i don't Ox-yoke has some replacements.

Oh, that would be wonderful! It’s a tiny little bugger. It’s my understanding the Becky lock was intended for use on children’s/ladies rifles as well as small pistols.

IMG_0336.jpeg

no joy. i went through my cabinets and couldn't find it. seems i used it when i built a lock for my pistol, if my memory is correct. which is doubtful. i seem to remember being young and handsome, so that shows how bad my memory is.
try totw. and RMC Ox-Yoke for a replacement.
best of luck.

no joy. i went through my cabinets and couldn't find it. seems i used it when i built a lock for my pistol, if my memory is correct. which is doubtful. i seem to remember being young and handsome, so that shows how bad my memory is.
try totw. and RMC Ox-Yoke for a replacement.
best of luck.

Thanks for looking anyhow! I found a catalog in .pdf format from TOTW, but the part number listed (Lock-Tiny-F-Fr) doesn’t show up when I copy it into their search bar. Perhaps I’ll send them an online inquiry or give them a call tomorrow. Thanks again.

Attachments

• IMG_0422.png
    IMG_0422.png
    946.3 KB · Views: 0
You could try welding then treating with kasenit or cherry red. Or putting a shoe on it. Another is to tig with piano wire. If you are going to replace it regardless there's no harm in trying.

If you cant find a replacement, Tony South is also an option. He does great welding repairs on small pieces. He has repaired quite a few small antique lock parts for me. Great work, and affordable pricing. With his method of laser welding, the frizzen will not be heated to a point where its current temper will be changed.

https://www.microprecisionwelding.com/gun-welding

Last edited:
Thanks for chiming in, everyone! I reached out to R.E. Davis and purchased the very last frizzen they had in stock for this lock. It’s as cast, so I’ll need to drill and harden it myself. I’ll attempt to repair (or have repaired) the other frizzen so that I’ll have a spare.

Back