• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Surprise!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Imacfrog

50 caliber
Reaction score
My spouse wants to get into black powder shooting but I didn’t want to necessarily put out the money to buy a TC Hawken or Renegade quality rifle ( interest will probably wane and be fleeting-LOL). I found a nice Traditions Springfield Hawken that was lighter and shorter than my Hawken that she liked for short money. So we made the purchase.

Took the gun home and stripped it down to give the barrel a good cleaning as it has been sitting for a number of years (so we were told). Put it in a bucket of hot soapy water to clean it but I couldn’t seem to draw much water into the barrel ( yes, I removed the nipple). Began a more vigorous pumping action, I heard a swoosh sound and wet black powder flooded the bath tub! The barrel to my surprise and horror was loaded.

Eventually the flow of black powder abated and I began wondering how I was going to get the ammo that was loaded out of the barrel! I shook the barrel and could hear the load rattle in the bore. On the off chance that life would be nice to me, I tipped the muzzle downward and to my surprise a mini ball tumbled into the tub!

I am so glad I decided to do a thorough cleaning of the gun before even thinking of firing a shot (that would have really been a nightmare!). How can one tell if a gun barrel is loaded on a used muzzleloader without trying to fire it or discover it while cleaning!

By the way the gun cleaned up nice and plan on giving it a test firing tomorrow! The surface of the barrel could use a little TLC but the lock and wood seem to be in great shape. Wood grain of the stock is quite attractive.

Run the ram rod down the barrel and mark with your fingers where the end of the barrel is. Then pull it out and lay it on top of the barrel without moving said fingers. Pay attention to the joint of the breech plug. Subtract for plug threads , 5/8"???? If you see a big difference plunge it into a bucket. Its loaded.

That would have been way to easy! LOL It just was never even part of my thought process that someone would sell a muzzleloader fully loaded and not say something! Live and become more skeptical! LOL

Ames said:
Run the ram rod down the barrel and mark with your fingers where the end of the barrel is.
Then pull it out and lay it on top of the barrel without moving said fingers.
Pay attention to the joint of the breech plug.
Subtract for plug threads , 5/8"????
If you see a big difference plunge it into a bucket. Its loaded.

+1

That is the Gold Standard for handling ANY used front stuffer for the first time.

Just find it unbelievable that anyone would be that clueless and derelict in their responsibility has a muzzleloader owner! Maybe, I should
not expect that others will be more conscientious and responsible! Maybe a healthy dose of cynicism is necessary! LOL

That would have been way to easy! LOL It just was never even part of my thought process that someone would sell a muzzleloader fully loaded and not say something! Live and become more skeptical! LOL
There has always been a lot of discussion about firing off a ML after a days hunt. I always fire my percussion, clean it and then do a fresh load for the next time I hunt. However, some will pull the cap and leave the ball and powder charge remain in the gun......some have left it in sometimes for a year or so, then fired it and it still went off. Perhaps your gun was one that someone put into a closet somewhere, passed away or whatever, and then someone else got it and sold it? A gun is ALWAYS loaded even when it's not. Glad you survived the cleaning.

Just find it unbelievable that anyone would be that clueless and derelict in their responsibility has a muzzleloader owner! Maybe, I should
not expect that others will be more conscientious and responsible! Maybe a healthy dose of cynicism is necessary! LOL
All guns are always loaded. Behave thusly and you will have a long and happy life.

My spouse wants to get into black powder shooting but I didn’t want to necessarily put out the money to buy a TC Hawken or Renegade quality rifle ( interest will probably wane and be fleeting-LOL). I found a nice Traditions Springfield Hawken that was lighter and shorter than my Hawken that she liked for short money. So we made the purchase.

Took the gun home and stripped it down to give the barrel a good cleaning as it has been sitting for a number of years (so we were told). Put it in a bucket of hot soapy water to clean it but I couldn’t seem to draw much water into the barrel ( yes, I removed the nipple). Began a more vigorous pumping action, I heard a swoosh sound and wet black powder flooded the bath tub! The barrel to my surprise and horror was loaded.

Eventually the flow of black powder abated and I began wondering how I was going to get the ammo that was loaded out of the barrel! I shook the barrel and could hear the load rattle in the bore. On the off chance that life would be nice to me, I tipped the muzzle downward and to my surprise a mini ball tumbled into the tub!

I am so glad I decided to do a thorough cleaning of the gun before even thinking of firing a shot (that would have really been a nightmare!). How can one tell if a gun barrel is loaded on a used muzzleloader without trying to fire it or discover it while cleaning!

By the way the gun cleaned up nice and plan on giving it a test firing tomorrow! The surface of the barrel could use a little TLC but the lock and wood seem to be in great shape. Wood grain of the stock is quite attractive.
friends asked me to work on there muzzleloaders, remove the load for them, they said they would not go off. i later learned after i told them about issues with getting the load out. they were both loaded for 5 yrs. why do ppl do this stuff?????

Forget most likely. Many people don’t take this sport or other shooting sports as seriously as they really should. Fifteen minutes perusing YouTube will convince you of this truth.

Happens more often than you would imagine. Deal with used muzzleloaders and you will find them.

Looked at an 1851 at a gun show a few years back. All six chambers were loaded (powder and ball, no percussion caps). Asked the vendor what he knew about the gun (before letting him know it was loaded). He assured me he had personally checked out and fired the gun. In his words it was remarkably accurate. Inquired about details of his cleaning procedure. It was quite elaborate. Long story short, after pointing out it was loaded, he sold it to me in a state of panic - the pistol and an extra cylinder (not loaded) - for 25% of his original asking price. Made me promise not to tell anyone at the show (he ran a big pawn shop and gun store in town). I was quite pleased with deal. Immediately put pistol (now separated from the old loaded cylinder) in my truck before continuing to walk around the gun show.

NEVER assume a gun isn’t loaded.

i just pulled a ball from an original 1774 charleville . have found several old loaded muskets over the years. the first thing to check for as the powder is likely still good.😕 never assume

In the past two years l received a loaded ltalian Hawken and in a big box of powderhorns was one filled to the brim with 3F powder. Separate transactions but both were gunbroker deals. Unloaded the Hawken and found the chrome-lined bore to be trash. Still have the horn. It’s still full of 3F powder.

Forget most likely. Many people don’t take this sport or other shooting sports as seriously as they really should. Fifteen minutes perusing YouTube will convince you of this truth.
Was out at the range las week just having fun. Two guys show up to get the one guys rifle ready for deer season. Guy states he hasn’t shot it since last fall. Has a 30-30 lever action.
I’m shooting my 28 bore smooth rifle. Guys are interested and I tell them about the gun . I was shooting at fifty yards. The fellow with the30 30 expressed disbelief my gun could shoot ‘that far.‘
He shoots a five or six shots with a little aiming time. Then reloads. Of corse he pulls this off in the time it takes me to load.I do a group of five. Testing a wad under a PRB. It shot at three inches about two inches low and right of the x two touching the ten ring.
His ten shots had not one in a ring although all on paper all around the target edges and one of hiswas on the edge of my target.
He and his friend look at mine and complement me on my shooting. But they decide that the shooter is doing good enough for deer hunting.

Was out at the range las week just having fun. Two guys show up to get the one guys rifle ready for deer season. Guy states he hasn’t shot it since last fall. Has a 30-30 lever action.
I’m shooting my 28 bore smooth rifle. Guys are interested and I tell them about the gun . I was shooting at fifty yards. The fellow with the30 30 expressed disbelief my gun could shoot ‘that far.‘
He shoots a five or six shots with a little aiming time. Then reloads. Of corse he pulls this off in the time it takes me to load.I do a group of five. Testing a wad under a PRB. It shot at three inches about two inches low and right of the x two touching the ten ring.
His ten shots had not one in a ring although all on paper all around the target edges and one of hiswas on the edge of my target.
He and his friend look at mine and complement me on my shooting. But they decide that the shooter is doing good enough for deer hunting.
One hopes his woodcraft is as abysmal as his shooting. It’s best if a guy like that doesn’t see any deer at all. He can finish the day shooting at road signs.

Run the ram rod down the barrel and mark with your fingers where the end of the barrel is. Then pull it out and lay it on top of the barrel without moving said fingers. Pay attention to the joint of the breech plug. Subtract for plug threads , 5/8"???? If you see a big difference plunge it into a bucket. Its loaded.
That is my SOP also. I found one of mine loaded but that's another story. This one is really one for the record books that my wife & I bought from a local pawn shop.
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/cva-54-hawken-for-the-record-books.95771/

Latest posts

Back