• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Surefire way to drill a horn spout?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Last year after following instructions in the book of buckskinning and a couple YouTube videos, after careful evaluation and using a coat hanger to find the end of my horn I managed to drill through the side of 2 different horns… I managed to assemble a kit from @Lucky from powder horns and more, he offers a kit with the spout already drilled (cureton horn kit), it turned out excellt but I’d like to make a bison horn purely from scratch, so my question from you experienced horners, what’s your careful process to get a good drilled spout hole?

Last year after following instructions in the book of buckskinning and a couple YouTube videos, after careful evaluation and using a coat hanger to find the end of my horn I managed to drill through the side of 2 different horns… I managed to assemble a kit from @Lucky from powder horns and more, he offers a kit with the spout already drilled (cureton horn kit), it turned out excellt but I’d like to make a bison horn purely from scratch, so my question from you experienced horners, what’s your careful process to get a good drilled spout hole?
I use a drill press. Cut the tip 1 1/2 long. After cutting the tip I square it off on a disc sander. Then using a 1/8 drill bit I hold the tip up to the bit and make sure it is square and going to drill straight into the neck. Then drill again with a 1/4 inch drill. Maybe I need to post a video.

Please call me next week so I can help. Maybe even FaceTime….easier on the phone than explaining here. 910-964-2580.

I drill a 5/16" hole through the small end , the tip , , and install a 6 " 5/18 " dowel , friction fit and put the end of the dowel in my vise. Now the horn will turn on the dowel axil , and files etc. , can be used to decorate the horn . Later the hole in the tip can be enlarged with a 1/2" tapered reamer to the plug size desired. Easypeasy

I received a horn for Christmas from my wife. She bought it from muzzleloaders.com.
I went to fill it the other day and it wouldn't take but a few grains of powder. Seems the hole wasn't drilled deep enough. Well I tried my hand at it and the hole that was in it wasn't center and I quickly drilled through the side of the horn.nothing some duct tape won't fix. Kinda ******.

Don't drill perpendicular to the horn end. Find how thick the tip is with a wire from the butt end and drill to the center of that spot. Your plug will be at an angle, but at least you won't go through the side. Also, watch your drill from 2 different angles to be sure your X and Y axis are good.

If you drill this hole at 1/4", you might be able to enlarge the end of it to 5/16" or so, perpendicular to the tip maybe 1" in, if an angled plug bothers you.

Mark a line around the circumference of the horn at the end of the natural cavity as found by the wire. Mark four center lines coming back from the tip to that line. Follow the lines with the drill, eyeballed from all sides as you go. Ignore the curve of the horn, focus on following the straight lines from start point to end point.

Don't use a drill larger than 1/4", in fact 3/16" is a lot better because you can steer it when it needs correction and clean it up to 1/4" when you get through. Unless using bigger grains than 2F you will never need or want a hole bigger than 1/4".

What I do:
1. Use a long wire and locate the end of the inside cavity and mark it on the horn.
2. Clamp the horn snugly in the vise, not too much that it crushes it, but not too little that it moves.
3. With a fine toothed saw, cut the horn tip about an inch above the mark you made that located the end of the inside cavity. Try to cut it so it is perpendicular to the center of the horn neck.
3. Use a 1/4” drill bit with the pin point.
If it’s a smaller horn go with a smaller bit. You want plenty of material there for now.
4. By eye, aim your drill bit towards the center on the horn. Note how far you will need to go so that you get an idea of your aim is off and your missing the hollow.
4. When you break through, use a Rattail file to clear out any whiskers that would prevent the free flow of powder.

Good luck 👍🏻

I still by eye with a smaller bit. Slowly. Then I burn out the hole to a larger size with a special rod I heat up to red. If you think the hole is off, you can use the hot rod to correct it by pushing it in the opposite way of the path of the hole. Do this outside!

I use a drill press. Cut the tip 1 1/2 long. After cutting the tip I square it off on a disc sander. Then using a 1/8 drill bit I hold the tip up to the bit and make sure it is square and going to drill straight into the neck. Then drill again with a 1/4 inch drill. Maybe I need to post a video.

Please call me next week so I can help. Maybe even FaceTime….easier on the phone than explaining here. 910-964-2580.
Thanks lucky, I haven’t purchased a horn yet, but I’ll make sure to pick your brain when the time comes if that’s alright with you.

What I do:
1. Use a long wire and locate the end of the inside cavity and mark it on the horn.
2. Clamp the horn snugly in the vise, not too much that it crushes it, but not too little that it moves.
3. With a fine toothed saw, cut the horn tip about an inch above the mark you made that located the end of the inside cavity. Try to cut it so it is perpendicular to the center of the horn neck.
3. Use a 1/4” drill bit with the pin point.
If it’s a smaller horn go with a smaller bit. You want plenty of material there for now.
4. By eye, aim your drill bit towards the center on the horn. Note how far you will need to go so that you get an idea of your aim is off and your missing the hollow.
4. When you break through, use a Rattail file to clear out any whiskers that would prevent the free flow of powder.

Good luck 👍🏻
Thanks pathfinder, I haven’t purchased another horn to work on yet, I’ll make sure to take yours and Luckys advice, now to work up the courage.

Thanks pathfinder, I haven’t purchased another horn to work on yet, I’ll make sure to take yours and Luckys advice, now to work up the courage.

Buy a five-pack from our friend at Powderhorns & More and keep trying. No better way to get better.

p.s. if a cow horn, smooth off the pointy end if it isn't cleaned up already, stick a bright pen light as far into the horn as it will go and you can see from the outside by the shadows where the exact tip of the cavity is. That is the target for your drill point. Start drilling in the center of the growth rings where you sawed the tip off.

I like long spouts so I tend to leave as much as possible on the tip and some of my horns have2 to 2.5 inches of hole drilled. If you do like Pathfinder does and lop it off about an inch in front of the end of the natural cavity it is much easier not to miss.

Bison horns require you use Zen and good outside marks to drill the hole so it comes out in the right place.

20240120_223906.jpg
20240120_224055.jpg
20240120_223945.jpg

Buy a five-pack from our friend at Powderhorns & More and keep trying. No better way to get better.

p.s. if a cow horn, smooth off the pointy end if it isn't cleaned up already, stick a bright pen light as far into the horn as it will go and you can see from the outside by the shadows where the exact tip of the cavity is. That is the target for your drill point. Start drilling in the center of the growth rings where you sawed the tip off.

I like long spouts so I tend to leave as much as possible on the tip and some of my horns have2 to 2.5 inches of hole drilled. If you do like Pathfinder does and lop it off about an inch in front of the end of the natural cavity it is much easier not to miss.

Bison horns require you use Zen and good outside marks to drill the hole so it comes out in the right place.
and having the horseshoe firmly implanted in your butt!

I’m not super experienced, but I’ve done 4 horns and haven’t gone through the side on one yet. Biggest thing is to pay careful attention to the curve and line up the bit so it will stay inside the horn. A vise helps. I use a hand drill. Make sure you pull out and clean the bit often; they don’t cut well once they’re clogged up.

Stop every quarter inch, clean the bit, take drink of water or coffee, and study the progress of the hole carefully from all angles before proceeding. At the first half inch of depth it can be corrected if it isn't headed in the right direction by backing up in the hole and putting a little side pressure on the drill bit. If it's past halfway before you notice it's wongo you can stop and go up a sixteenth on your drill size and slowly re-drill the hole at a new angle. It will tend to follow the previous hole but higher drill speed and very slow advancement will let the bit chew a new path.

Latest posts

Back