• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

And Yet Another Kibler SMR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I haven't had a small game rifle for quite a while and decided it would be a good addition to the "herd." I wasn't going to have a lot of time to do a build and with all the good reports on the Kibler kits, I decided on the Kibler SMR in .36. I got really lucky because when I called Jim about a three weeks ago and told him what I wanted, which included the stock to be hard sugar maple (I learned most of his stocks are "soft" maple) it turned out that he had a .36 kit in stock with the Rice barrel and a hard sugar maple stock. I was looking for a bit of a "plainer" stock, but this one was the one-notch-up upgrade and was offered at the regular price, so I took it. It has Jim's own branded lock. New versions will also have his barrel.

I used Klein's Reddish-Brown alcohol stain, Laurel Mountain Forge Permalyn Sealer and Stock Finish, Birchwood-Casey Perma Blue, and a Patchbox kit from Muzzleloader Builder Supply (made my own catch as the one in the kit is junk).

My experience with the kit was not too dissimilar to what many others here have reported. The barrel and tang were a snap fit and required zero additional inletting work. The lock inlet was about 98%. I used a bent scraper, mostly. The trigger inlet required a little light work with chisels. Lock finishing was pretty easy with no work on internals what-so-ever and only normal sanding and polishing of the externals. The trigger guard required filing, sanding, and polishing. The barrel received a draw filing on the visible five flats. I had the basic assembly done in a couple of evenings and a Saturday afternoon. Of course the patchbox needed to be inlet, the cavity drilled (forstner bit) and chiseled out, the lid spring installed and a catch made and installed. There is really not much wood to be removed...a little on the buttstock via sanding.

There was an issue with the lock in that if a properly sized flint was installed squarely in the jaws, it would miss about a 1/4+ of the right side of the frizzen and was sticking over to the left enough that it would strike the barrel. While I could set the flint well out to the right side of the jaws and cock it to get it to hit squarely, it was an UGLY thing and I didn't like it. One call to Jim and he had me send it back, he repaired it the day it arrived, and sent it right back.

Here's a picture of how cock-eyed the flint would have had to have been to have it hit squarely on the frizzen:

50742533921_f53336a4a5_c.jpg

It appeared the cock was leaning in toward the stock. Anyway, like I said, it was taken care of quickly by Jim and now the flint can sit nicely in the jaws as it should and hit the frizzen squarely. It sparks very well.

I did get a few shots off today with it. While I have a bit more work to do, it seems right now as if the load will be 30 gr 3F Swiss, a .018 pillow tick patch lubed with Track's Mink Oil, and a .350 round ball. The balance is phenomenal! Weight came in at 7.2#.

Here's the finished SMR. Also including a picture of the beautiful Southern Banded Horn that Ames made for me to go with this Southern Mountain Rifle. I can't wait to finish up the load and sight work and get after the late season squirrels!

50741811018_42854940c5_c.jpg

50742551596_608b037c3b_c.jpg

50741795688_8dd8e573a3_c.jpg

50741818398_e0c7c4a8f3_c.jpg

50741796038_5f870384c9_c.jpg

50742533256_aa3457d6df_c.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Mike

Fine job! I love the patch box. Did you add the carved lines on the cheek rest? I have one in .45 on order.

Interesting color. Nice the way the curl stands out without Aqua.
I really like these stains. They are easy to work with and you can do combinations to pick up different looks. On a couple of rifles I've used their Orange Toner after staining to lighten it a bit and make the curl stand out more. Their Golden Brown is also an excellent base color.

One "trick" I use to make the grain pop out is something I picked up in the book "Longrifle Construction Manual" by Suzanne Warren-Bicio (a former owner of Muzzleloader Builder Supply). Suzanne recommends one application of BLO hot rubbed into the stock after staining. It's incredible what this application does to enhance the grain and just make it pop out. The pictures of the above rifle don't do it justice in terms of depth you can see. You really have to hold it and move it in the sunlight to see the depth that appears in the grain. I don't think this manual is in print anymore, but for a new builder eight years ago, I found it to be an exceptionally good reference. Not as indepth as Gunsmith of Grenville, which may be overpowering for a new builder there is so much information...just the perfect amount of information with many good tricks and tips to get someone going with really good results.

Fine job! I love the patch box. Did you add the carved lines on the cheek rest? I have one in .45 on order.
Thank you. I did add the lines on the cheek rest. They are very small v-cuts that just naturally darkened during the finishing process. I think that something to break up a "flat" looking cheekpiece and add just a touch of subtle styling is desireable vs a plain flat surface.

Interesting idea with the hot oil. I'm going to have to give this a try.

Use the BLO sparingly. I dab a bit on an area and spread it around thinly with a finger then use the fleshy part of my palm to start briskly rubbing until my hand gets hot...and it does! Then I move on to another spot. When the whole stock is done, I let it dry at least 24 hrs before attempting to apply a finish over it. I have applied Tru-Oil, and now with this gun Permalyn, over it. Personally, I thought the Tru-Oil was easier to "control" but I think the Permalyn will provide a harder and longer lasting finish.

BTW...in my original post I said Klein's Reddish Brown. It's actually Homer Dangler's reddish brown stain, but James Klein makes it up and actually some of the colors, like the orange toner, do have his name vs Dangler's on it. For you archers making wooden arrows...the orange toner makes a great color for your shafts if you like something a bit lighter than brown stains and is more easily seen in the grass or leaves....kind of looks like the old Easton Autumn Orange shaft color. MBS carries these stains and is my source.

Last edited:
Great tips Mike! Thanks for sharing them.

Fantastic rifle & horn! Ames you done good!

They go well together.

I haven't had a small game rifle for quite a while and decided it would be a good addition to the "herd." I wasn't going to have a lot of time to do a build and with all the good reports on the Kibler kits, I decided on the Kibler SMR in .36. I got really lucky because when I called Jim about a three weeks ago and told him what I wanted, which included the stock to be hard sugar maple (I learned most of his stocks are "soft" maple) it turned out that he had a .36 kit in stock with the Rice barrel and a hard sugar maple stock. I was looking for a bit of a "plainer" stock, but this one was the one-notch-up upgrade and was offered at the regular price, so I took it. It has Jim's own branded lock. New versions will also have his barrel.

I used Klein's Reddish-Brown alcohol stain, Laurel Mountain Forge Permalyn Sealer and Stock Finish, Birchwood-Casey Perma Blue, and a Patchbox kit from Muzzleloader Builder Supply (made my own catch as the one in the kit is junk).

My experience with the kit was not too dissimilar to what many others here have reported. The barrel and tang were a snap fit and required zero additional inletting work. The lock inlet was about 98%. I used a bent scraper, mostly. The trigger inlet required a little light work with chisels. Lock finishing was pretty easy with no work on internals what-so-ever and only normal sanding and polishing of the externals. The trigger guard required filing, sanding, and polishing. The barrel received a draw filing on the visible five flats. I had the basic assembly done in a couple of evenings and a Saturday afternoon. Of course the patchbox needed to be inlet, the cavity drilled (forstner bit) and chiseled out, the lid spring installed and a catch made and installed. There is really not much wood to be removed...a little on the buttstock via sanding.

There was an issue with the lock in that if a properly sized flint was installed squarely in the jaws, it would miss about a 1/4+ of the right side of the frizzen and was sticking over to the left enough that it would strike the barrel. While I could set the flint well out to the right side of the jaws and cock it to get it to hit squarely, it was an UGLY thing and I didn't like it. One call to Jim and he had me send it back, he repaired it the day it arrived, and sent it right back.

Here's a picture of how cock-eyed the flint would have had to have been to have it hit squarely on the frizzen:

50742533921_f53336a4a5_c.jpg

It appeared the cock was leaning in toward the stock. Anyway, like I said, it was taken care of quickly by Jim and now the flint can sit nicely in the jaws as it should and hit the frizzen squarely. It sparks very well.

I did get a few shots off today with it. While I have a bit more work to do, it seems right now as if the load will be 30 gr 3F Swiss, a .018 pillow tick patch lubed with Track's Mink Oil, and a .350 round ball. The balance is phenomenal! Weight came in at 7.2#.

Here's the finished SMR. Also including a picture of the beautiful Southern Banded Horn that Ames made for me to go with this Southern Mountain Rifle. I can't wait to finish up the load and sight work and get after the late season squirrels!

50741811018_42854940c5_c.jpg

50742551596_608b037c3b_c.jpg

50741795688_8dd8e573a3_c.jpg

50741818398_e0c7c4a8f3_c.jpg

50741796038_5f870384c9_c.jpg

50742533256_aa3457d6df_c.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Mike
Beautiful job. Yours looks incredibly similar to mine. I put the patch box in as well.

Back