• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Superimposed load rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was fortunate to visit the Cody museum recently. Honestly, it was overwhelming with cool stuff and history. One thing that caught my eye is this rifle. Can anyone explain why appear to be 2 ignition points on one barrel?
Had to throw in the last picture for fun

Attachments

• 20240120_151348.jpg
    20240120_151348.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 21
  • 20240120_151352.jpg
    20240120_151352.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240120_150156.jpg
    20240120_150156.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Back in the 1980's Kit Ravenshear built a four shot flintlock rifle like one seen in the Tower of London firearm museum. He brought it to a shoot at Union County Pa. Muzzleloaders Assn.. I helped him test it out. If properly loaded , it would fire four balls one after another loaded in stacked sequence. Testing showed it a little impractical due to the inability to quickly reload it under battle conditions. Once the first shot went forth , the other three balls were difficult to keep on target. The secret to reliable 4 sshot volies , was loading the gun precisely , other wise , all four shots were simultanious.

There was what some describe as a "flintlock machine gun" which was even demonstrated for George Washington. This particular design was designed by Joseph Chambers. Later the US Navy bought more than 50 of these 224 shot early automatic weapons.

https://www.forgottenweapons.com/chambers-flintlock-machine-gun-from-the-1700s/
Unlike the designs above and the one in the Cody Museum, the Chambers automatic only had one ignition sequence which kicked off an in-series chain reaction. Once the cock struck the frizzen, 224 shots were going to be fired, there was no stopping it, unless it failed. I would not have wanted to be responsible for loading it, or unloading it from a wet charge.

Edit: I initially confused it with a Puckle Gun, another very early quick firing firearm.

Last edited:
I wonder how the trigger mechanism worked. 🥸
A lever below the slot (behind the lock) which is raised by the trigger at the rear and pivoting on the screw at the forward end of the slot. Just guessing, it’s how I’d do it so John Rigby probably came up with something much better.

Back