• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sueding the smooth side of commercial tanned buckskin?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedBear

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Is there a way to make the smooth side nice and sueded like the other side? I like the look of the sueded leather but don't like the feel of the smooth side because it sticks and gets uncomfortable. Any tips would help. Thank you.

Besides using the hide "rough side out", I would suggest sanding a small portion of the finished side as a test

I like the sound of that. Seems like it will work decent. It doesn't have to be anything fancy just a little bit sueded for a bit more comfort.

Quick update...
I tried out a piece of 60 grit sandpaper and it worked exactly how I wanted. Now my leggings and moccasins won't be uncomfortably sticky.

Just for information purposes, since youve found an answer that works for you, the smooth grain breaks down in use, Ive worn out several sets of commercial tanned deerskin pants, they start looking rough after a few weeks then progress from there in regular use. Ive also scraped them with my knife (sharp edge) to help accelerate the process, which works fine to get it going, then I let it naturally occur,

I did a couple years ago brushing them with a file card. Try it on a small piece first. It still may not look quite like braintan.

Quick update...
I tried out a piece of 60 grit sandpaper and it worked exactly how I wanted. Now my leggings and moccasins won't be uncomfortably sticky.

I'm glad you got it straightened out to your satisfaction... :)

I did a couple years ago brushing them with a file card. Try it on a small piece first. It still may not look quite like braintan.
I'm not going for the look. I'm going for comfort. I don't like the smooth side against my skin but I like the sueded side out

Back