• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trigger issues and potential fixes?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’ve got two guns with trigger issues I’m hoping I can get some help with. The first seems the most straight forward.

I’ve got a 12g SxS that has a rear trigger that’s probably around 3-4lb pull, which is great, but the front is probably around 10lbs. And yes, I’m aware it’s a shotgun, but I’d very much like to know if there is an easy way to get the front trigger into the 3-4lb range as well.

The second gun seems like it might be a bit more complicated. It’s a Traditions Crockett 32cal. Unsurprisingly the fit and finish of anything that isn’t visible on that gun seems choppy at best.

I pulled everything apart when I got it and removed the mountains of wood chips and debris that was all jammed inside the mechanisms, but I did not begin to actually take anything apart.

The lock components up close are very rough…burrs, slight cant/misalignment, potential binding, crude casting (“bulges” maybe, not sure how to describe them)…

Long story short it would seem there could be limitless possibilities as to why the lock function feels like it sticks and drags and grinds…it just feels like a mess overall. Whatever the opposite of smooth is.

Any tips on where to start would be very much appreciated, thanks.

There are no easy way on either, both would benefit by disassembling and lightly stoning any engaging parts. The points of contact needs to be burr free, clean and lubricated.

There are no easy way on either, both would benefit by disassembling and lightly stoning any engaging parts. The points of contact needs to be burr free, clean and lubricated.
I’m sure that will have to make some notable difference with the 32 cal for sure.

I’ve pulled the 12g down and compared the locks and everything there seems smooth and well put together. I think it’s likely mostly a disparity in spring tension.

The only other thing I noticed that looked like it could contribute was a particular engagement angle of one part seemed steeper than the corresponding part on the other lock, potentially creating more resistance. I don’t have any photos of anything currently but I could probably get some if they might help.

The second gun seems like it might be a bit more complicated. It’s a Traditions Crockett 32cal. Unsurprisingly the fit and finish of anything that isn’t visible on that gun seems choppy at best.

I pulled everything apart when I got it and removed the mountains of wood chips and debris that was all jammed inside the mechanisms, but I did not begin to actually take anything apart.

The lock components up close are very rough…burrs, slight cant/misalignment, potential binding, crude casting (“bulges” maybe, not sure how to describe them)…

Long story short it would seem there could be limitless possibilities as to why the lock function feels like it sticks and drags and grinds…it just feels like a mess overall. Whatever the opposite of smooth is.
Close up detailed photographs of the shotgun locks and triggers might help.

As far as the Tradition’s Crockett, unfortunately, typical of many. Call it the luck of the draw. The ‘good’ news, as long as you are confident in disassembling and reassembling the lock and trigger assemblies, a bit of judicious use of small files, honing stones and fine sandpaper can clean up many of the lumps, bumps and burrs, just stay away from the sear engagement surfaces. You basically want to clean out the trash and then smooth out visible burrs along with any surfaces that rub against each other (a smoothing means just that, no aggressive material removal), lubricate with grease and oil as appropriate and reassemble and see where you are. There should be a noticeable improvement.

Back