• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Spiderman317 Tool Tote.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I asked Spiderman317, of range box fame, if he could make me a copy of Roy Underhill's tool tote and he made it! I was going to play around with making one myself but the thing with something like this is that it's either right or it's not. A lot of things out there have acceptable degrees of craftsmanship, things can be straight enough or level enough or clean enough and be perfectly fine. With a tote, if it's cumbersome or too heavy or it's kind of rickety or has hot spots for your hands or any number of things then it's getting chucked in the burn pile. I asked to have a tote as close to Roy's as possible and the results are nothing short of perfect:

He gave me a number of options as far as joinery and wood goes but I chose to stick with what Roy used on the original tote. Pine was used to keep it light and utilitarian. Not butter soft hardware store pine, but harder and more seasoned pine. Also notice how the board widths are not uniform, most noticeable the sides, to cut down on weight as much as possible.

The other thing you'll notice is how one side is almost straight up and down and the other side is angled out, this was also a feature taken from the original, it allows you to carry the tote very close to your body making it easier to carry.

I love this tote, I couldn't possibly be happier, it's comfortable in the hand, nimble and well balanced, it's light and sturdy, beautifully finished and not a rough or sharp spot on it.

I own one of his range boxes as well and love it, that's why I thought of him first when I decided to have this item built right. I love it, I don't think you fully realize how useful something like this is for so many different tasks until you have one in your hand. Before it was milk crates, or glorified duffel bags, or a tool box that only fits half the things you need, or a chest that weighs more than the items you're trying to carry, or just bear hug as much stuff as possible. I wouldn't hesitate to contact him and ask about making one.

Latest posts

Back