• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Substitute powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was in Wally World yesterday and looked to see if they had any CCI caps (they have them every now and then) and noticed the sub powders on the shelf. A pound can of Blackthorn209 is $83!! Not sure if that was the wrong price on the shelf or not.

Shows ya how anti gun they really are.
Has nothing at all to do with Walmart being anti gun. That is the going rate for BH209. Some places have it priced at $85 for a 10 oz bottle. Has nothing to do with the retailers. It is what the manufacturer is charging.
BTW I've been to Walmarts out west where their sporting goods section had more guns for sale than some gun shops I've been to.

Not anti gun ,just follow the retail MSRP.
Last BH209 I sold was 3. Years back at 40$ of it had been at a LGS the price was 49-55$.
@83$ for 10oz many people will not buy it some will.
Smokeless is up wholesale my cost @33-49$ lb.

Go check the powder sites for prices.
Powder inc is showing goex 500$+ a case now .
In 2017 I paid 325$
https://powderinc.com/shop/page/3/

They no longer sell Blackhorn209 in 10 ounce containers. The current price at the local Sportsman’s up in Silverdale is $80 for 8 ounces! That’s $160 per pound! I still have a couple of pounds from my in-line days and while it is great powder that is just ridiculous. It is made for Hodgdon in Canada and I saw one of their spokesman’s say they don’t have much control over the price. Yikes!

SR1

I'll check our local Walmart, sounds like an error in pricing. Holy cow, I just checked Hodgon Powder and a pound is
$ 74.99 suggest list price.
What? I just bought last week at local gunstore 2 pounds including tax, $82.

1701095331152.png

Not anti gun ,just follow the retail MSRP.
Last BH209 I sold was 3. Years back at 40$ of it had been at a LGS the price was 49-55$.
@83$ for 10oz many people will not buy it some will.
Smokeless is up wholesale my cost @33-49$ lb.

Go check the powder sites for prices.
Powder inc is showing goex 500$+ a case now .
In 2017 I paid 325$
[URLBidon unfurl="true"]https://powderinc.com/shop/page/3/[/URL]
It's called Bidenomics.

Y'all are going to shoot me for this sacrilegious say statement, I use pellets when I hunt for ease of loading and unloading, and substitutes (mostly pyrodex, and some 777 when I have it).

It's just so easy to keep a small tube with two or three extra reloads in your pocket, and I have to worry about loose powder.

When I shoot for fun, I mostly shoot substitutes (because that's what's available at my local stores, I've never even seen real black powder for sale). They go off every time, and there's really no issues other than some being slightly more dirty, but I clean at the end of a shooting session anyway so it doesn't really matter to me. Personally, I have no issue with substitutes.

Each powder shoots slightly differently by volume, but in all honesty, all three are more than powerful and accurate enough to take a deer. Just make sure you practice with each one and know it's differences.

Latest posts

Back