• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Prices…….

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do not use Blackhorn in a side lock, it is NOT OK. It is for magnum rated inlines, needs a 209 primer for reliable ignition too. Pressure curve is WAY different and WAY higher than real black or black substitutes. You will likely blow your sidelock up and hurt yourself and anyone around you.

Do not use Blackhorn in a side lock, it is NOT OK. It is for magnum rated inlines, needs a 209 primer for reliable ignition too. Pressure curve is WAY different and WAY higher than real black or black substitutes. You will likely blow your sidelock up and hurt yourself and anyone around you.
Reduce the charge and use a Mag Spark. No way would I pay the price they want for it nor would I use the same amount of charge.

https://www.pineridgeblackpowder.com/muzzleloading-info.html

Last edited:
Giving the typical 150 gr. "magnum" load used, that 8oz can will get you 23 shots.. That's $3.61 a shot plus the cost of the bullet.

The people who use that stuff are analogous to the hunter who shoots a 94 win (or insert any other gun or cartridge here). They are successful hunters and one box of ammo lasts them many years 😉

If your doing what you should be doing, there is zero need for this high priced stuff!

Blackhorn 209 High Performance Muzzleloading Propellant Powder - Blackhorn 209 is a revolutionary propellant that is redefining the term ' accuracy' in the muzzleloading industry. When used as directed, this high performance powder consistently shoots higher velocities with greater accuracy than other muzzleloading propellants. Blackhorn 209's proprietary formulation is engineered to eliminate swabbing and cleaning between shots. Precise accuracy, higher velocities and ease of use ensure Blackhorn 209 will bring out the best performance in your muzzleloading rifle.

• Revolutionary Muzzleloading Propellant
  • High Velocity
  • Extreme Accuracy
  • No Cleaning Between Shots

Had to go to town today for a doctor appointment. While I was there I thought I’d stop by Walmart again to see if they had any caps. None on the rack so I asked one of the workers. They had no idea what percussion caps are. So they went and found a manager. He had no idea what caps are so I pointed to the rack. I told him Walmarts across the country has been getting them in, even in KY, but for some reason this store cannot seem to get any. He scanned the bar code and told to wait right there while he went and checked in the back. Sure enough, he came back with an unopened box. He told me they have been there for a while and he had no idea why they were never put on the rack. $5.64 per tin. I thanked him and as I was walking away.

As I was walking down the aisle I noticed some powder. Hoping to find some for real 3F amongst the and subs, I found this for unmentionables.

I know BH is supposed to be good powder but If this is reflective of the price for real 3F, if they can even get any, they can keep it.View attachment 248707
Went to my local Walmart with a pic of their percussion cap label. They can’t even order them in this area. But he knew what they were. A friend scored me 8 tins while visiting West Virginia.

If your doing what you should be doing, there is zero need for this high priced stuff!

Blackhorn 209 High Performance Muzzleloading Propellant Powder - Blackhorn 209 is a revolutionary propellant that is redefining the term ' accuracy' in the muzzleloading industry. When used as directed, this high performance powder consistently shoots higher velocities with greater accuracy than other muzzleloading propellants. Blackhorn 209's proprietary formulation is engineered to eliminate swabbing and cleaning between shots. Precise accuracy, higher velocities and ease of use ensure Blackhorn 209 will bring out the best performance in your muzzleloading rifle.

• Revolutionary Muzzleloading Propellant
  • High Velocity
  • Extreme Accuracy
  • No Cleaning Between Shots
Agreed , Mulebrain. Ain't my cup of tea. Not even going to use BlackHorn.

I'll continue cleaning between shots if/when necessary and I'll darn sure keep cleaning my ML's after shooting them.

Last edited:
I'll have to ask at my local Walmart. I've never seen any caps there either. Maybe they are in the back somewhere.
No powder of any kind either. Just loaded ammo.

And yes, that's the going rate on the BH 209. My LGS is asking 86 bucks a container.
I have two or three unopened containers. I ought to take them into town here and see if the local trading post wants to give me $50 a container. I'll make money and he'll make money.

BlackHorn powder. Some people use it in sidelocks and/or cartridge rifles. My guess is they reduce their charge due to it being hotter.

For reliable ignition it requires a hotter cap/primer such as a Mag Spark with 209 shotgun primer.

https://www.pineridgeblackpowder.com/muzzleloading-info.html
I guess I just wasn’t following the for sidelocks part. No worries.
I’ve used Blackhorn in my TC Hawken and Pedersoli Hawken with 209 primer adapters. I use 80 grains and a 460 grain conical. I picked it up for 7 dollars a jug at Walmart pre Covid. It was always clearance out after deer season. I only use it in Colorado deer and elk hunting. I fire my rifle at home to make absolutely sure no oil is left in the gun. Then when I arrive in camp I reload and leave it for the week with no corrosion concerns. The mag spark adapter keeps it nice and dry as well.
I love black powder and use Swiss for everything else. I feel a little guilty using it. Like using carbons arrows in my long bow But for the price I used to get it for I like it. Just another tool in the tool box but have no problems using black again when I need to.

I guess I just wasn’t following the for sidelocks part. No worries.
I’ve used Blackhorn in my TC Hawken and Pedersoli Hawken with 209 primer adapters. I use 80 grains and a 460 grain conical. I picked it up for 7 dollars a jug at Walmart pre Covid. It was always clearance out after deer season. I only use it in Colorado deer and elk hunting. I fire my rifle at home to make absolutely sure no oil is left in the gun. Then when I arrive in camp I reload and leave it for the week with no corrosion concerns. The mag spark adapter keeps it nice and dry as well.
I love black powder and use Swiss for everything else. I feel a little guilty using it. Like using carbons arrows in my long bow But for the price I used to get it for I like it. Just another tool in the tool box but have no problems using black again when I need to.
Well stated!

I have a .50 CVA Hawken in the house (belongs to my wife) that came with a Mag Spark. A couple weeks ago I removed it to install a regular #11 size nipple. However, after some thought and remembering I have almost a full can of Triple 7 (and 209's) that needs to be used up, I decided to put the Mag Spark back on.

My main concern with a Mag Spark is dropping that darn cap out in the woods, especially from a tree stand.

Honestly, I am all about BP. But that's not to say that I wouldn't ever use a sub if I needed to.

Last edited:
Well stated!

I have a .50 CVA Hawken in the house (belongs to my wife) that came with a Mag Spark. A couple weeks ago I removed it to install a regular #11 size nipple. However, after some thought and remembering I have almost a full can of Triple 7 (and 209's) that needs to be used up, I decided to put the Mag Spark back on.

My main concern with a Mag Spark is dropping that darn cap out in the woods, especially from a tree stand.

Honestly, I am all about BP. But that's not to say that I wouldn't ever use a sub if I needed to.
That was a concern of mine as well. I was able to purchase an extra mag spark cap and keep it in the patch box of TC Hawken.

Everyone’s situation is different so there is no one answer. I have a stock of BH209, and I picked up most of it before the prices got bad.

I live in a state (MA) where the entire deer season is ML only. No centerfire rifles allowed. I have a good load developed with my inline that I’m comfortable with, and get a couple of years out of a can. That’s with me and my son using it.

For enjoyment I prefer to shoot my older ML‘s and only use real BP for those. My other problem is that powder is hard to find here and almost none of the online guys will ship to MA. I finally found one that I am going to try after paying $48 for a pound of Shuetzen 3F at the one sort of local place that sells powder here.

Going off of what KyRon has posted, it might be worth it for unmentionables IF one does not shoot very often, as well as has the "need" to do so. IMO, everyone to their own thing. I sold the one Inherited because they take away the tradition of ML for this ole boy. The day may come to where I can no longer see how to shoot without a scope, so things might change in that aspect.

All I can say for sure is, that price is ridiculous. It will be interesting to see what the price of BH for sidelocks (3F if they make it) will be this year.
Nothing different BH209 with Mag Spark adapters (209 primers) works excellent in all my
TC Renegades/H+A under hammer Used for years and with proposed laws on storage reporting by private users your BP might become like the dodo bird!

BULL !/Ed

Latest posts

Back