• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stuck cleaning brush

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay folks, I have one for the books....

Recently purchased a used TC Hawkin .50 Cal. Took it out today to shoot for the first time and performed perfectly. Very happy with the whole day.

Brought it home and prepared to clean it. Attached a .50 cal bore brush to my range rod to loosen the grime and the brush detached from the rod at the bottom of the barrel. I managed to get it reattached and moved about an inch or so before it came off again. All additional attempts have failed appears the thread somehow stripped. By my measurements the brush is about 23" down the barrel.

Obviously all the methods used to remove a stuck ball won't work because it's not air tight; so I'm looking for suggestions short of a miracle.

Thanks in advance.

-Mike
Most BP rods for 50 cal are 10/32, many brushes are 8/32 and while they will screw in, they come off easily. Try going in with a 8/32 rod. I got a 22 cal brush stuck in a patent breech. Put a bit of 4F thru the drum and blew it out. Good Luck!

I had the same issue with my 50 cal and tried EVERYTHING possible and failed. Was really ready to dump the barrel and a great grandfather of BP friend of mine remove the nipple, poured some 4F in, screwed in the nipple, boom, it came out never to be found again (so definitely point it down range). I had tried on numerous occasions to do that with 2F without success. If you think a brush is important, I recommend brass brushes, they seem to change direction easily.

I'd try putting a small piece of aluminum foil or paper inside the threads of my range rod and see if that gives you enough grip on the threads to pull it out.

Okay folks, I have one for the books....

Recently purchased a used TC Hawkin .50 Cal. Took it out today to shoot for the first time and performed perfectly. Very happy with the whole day.

Brought it home and prepared to clean it. Attached a .50 cal bore brush to my range rod to loosen the grime and the brush detached from the rod at the bottom of the barrel. I managed to get it reattached and moved about an inch or so before it came off again. All additional attempts have failed appears the thread somehow stripped. By my measurements the brush is about 23" down the barrel.

Obviously all the methods used to remove a stuck ball won't work because it's not air tight; so I'm looking for suggestions short of a miracle.

Thanks in advance.

-Mike
I had a similar issue with a 50 cal CVA mountain pistol where all things brass detached from the rod, end cap and brush. I placed epoxy glue on the end of the rod and carefully inserted the rod into the brass. (I practiced quite a few times so I knew exactly where everything was down the barrel) I left it for 3 days and after placing the barrel in padded vice gave the rod a mighty tug and everything came out of the barrel. Whew. Perhaps, if the threads are stripped as you say, you might try a dab of strong epoxy or JB Weld. Good luck!

I thought the tubing Idea sounded great. But, I think it will only work for a .54 cal. 3/8" copper tubing fits in the barrel but very snug I'm afraid of getting that stuck and making the situation worse. I'm going to a specialty plumbing supply shop in the morning to see what they might have in stock.
Doesn't have to be copper. Any rigid metal or plastic tube will do.

Ironhand

Years ago when I first started in BP shooting, I got a brass brush stuck in a very dirty bore.

Since it would not pull straight back out, I decided to twist the cleaning rod clockwise as I pulled it out. Came right out. Bristles laid down sideways enough with the twisting and laid down to the rear as I pulled it out.

Then took the brush down a bit on my grinder. Seemed a bit oversized to me.
Still using it but less frequently and very carefully, still twisting clockwise at the bottom of the stroke.

And never use crimped on brushes.

You didn't mention what thread your bore brush is. --- It could be different that your ramrod. (8-31 vs 10-32). Whatever one your rod is try the other. You might need an adapter. ---- I have experienced this problem with a jag.

Been there done that in a pistol , so many years ago that I don't remember how I removed it.
It was a wire brush on the end of a 1911 auto cleaning rod, however.
Haven't used a bore brush of any type since!

You'd be surprised how much surface area there is with a brush. That thing is all over that bore. An obstruction.

I would take it to the range. Remove the nipple. Pack it full of powder. And pull the trigger.

A dollar to a donut says that brush goes down range.

Sticking sharp steel objects in your bore and twisting them in circles is a good way to damage
the rifling.

Best of luck.

P.S. Using brushes in a one way only bore is asking for trouble. The bristles lay down going in and when you try to pull the brush back out the bristles are trying to stand up and reverse themselves. That's how they get stuck.
I always shoot them out .like you said remove nipple pack powder in reinstall and boom the thing comes out.

Last edited by a moderator:
One other caveat if you feel you need to use a bore brush…only use the ones that the shank threads through the screw portion. Never use one that has the screw portion pushed over the end of the shank. In the pictures below, the one with the brass screw facing left is the correct kind to use. The one with the silver aluminum screw facing right will come right off when you pull on it, leaving the brush lodged in your barrel. It is also suggested to potentially use a slightly undersized bore brush to help keep it from sticking.
Where do you get the bore brush like the brass one in your photo? Want to get some of these. Excellent idea.

Where do you get the bore brush like the brass one in your photo? Want to get some of these. Excellent idea.
I believe that one was from Amazon.com

Attachments

• BE855DE1-BD7D-4CFB-B1BB-6711D55F9A6A.jpeg
    BE855DE1-BD7D-4CFB-B1BB-6711D55F9A6A.jpeg
    364.8 KB · Views: 0
Thanks. Good catch. Apparently, some of the ads for this on Amazon show the bronze brush in picture, but the description says nylon. On the 45 cal one, it gave you the choice of picking either one. Not so on the others. The pro shot website shows bronze bristles.

How come nobody seems to know about pushing the brush to the breech, plugging the touch hole or nipple hole, and then pouring in an ammonia free copper solvent made for gunbores, to dissolve the brush overnight, then dump out the brush core the following morning? You don't even need to push the brush to the breech except that it means you need the minimal amount of the solvent to dissolve the brush when you do that.

LD

How come nobody seems to know about pushing the brush to the breech, plugging the touch hole or nipple hole, and then pouring in an ammonia free copper solvent made for gunbores, to dissolve the brush overnight, then dump out the brush core the following morning? You don't even need to push the brush to the breech except that it means you need the minimal amount of the solvent to dissolve the brush when you do that.

LD
Now that is using your noggin!

Back