• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What is this in barrel? UPDATE NEW CLEANED IMAGE

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've mentioned this here on this forum before and I swear every detail is the truth. I also DO NOT recommend anyone at anytime do this! I do not use much BoreButter at all, nor do I use much Pyrodex. I do use a tiny bit of each every year here and there but I'm not a fan of either. So I have no dog in the fight. But all that said here is an observation of mine.

I hunt at an exclusive hunting/shooting club here in IL. There is a gentleman who has been there every year since the club's inception. Roughly 20 or more years ago he purchased a Remington bolt action muzzleloading 'unmentionable'. It is a stainless steel action and barrel. I think some of the trigger components and springs are carbon steel. He fires maybe 10 shots per year. If the Mods can bear with me here with the mentioning of forbidden items it may be worth it.

He uses loose Pyrodex RS. It is all he has ever shot from this rifle. I think his load is 100grs. He also shoots a Hornady pistol bullet in another unmentionable component. He uses whatever 209 he can buy. After he is done with the rifle for the day, he uses the standard BoreButter on patches to swab the bore clean. He then uses the same cleaning technique on the parts of the action. Believe it or not there is NO rust or pitting anywhere. And I mean NO WHERE. The bore is spotless. I know cause I have questioned his thinking on this more than once and have examined the bore and action parts.

Before anyone says that "duh stainless is rust proof you blithering idiot", it is not! Stainless is only more rust and corrosion resistant due to a higher amount of chromium and less iron than normal carbon steel (that's the cliff notes version). Stainless steel WILL rust and WILL pit, it just takes a bit more abuse.

How he gets away with this, I'll never know. The gun shoots excellent groups and always has. He swears water (unless rain/snow) will NEVER touch the inside of his rifle. I've watched him clean his rifle at the end of firearm and muzzleloader seasons, every year. Year after year. And still no rust. And still a perfectly functioning and accurate arm. Go figure?

edit- @SDSmlf I'm not arguing with you. I actually agree with you, but this anomaly I witness every year is a sight to behold.
If it is an exclusive hunting/shooting club it may be alien technology.

I've been muzzleloading since 1996. I bought my TC Renegade 50 brand new at that time. Granted, I've never shot the volume that many of you gents do, my usage was the week long deer of either sex muzzle loading season before the regular season opens. Before the opener my routine was to get together with my dad and fire a few rounds and make sure everything was still up to snuff, hunt the week and then empty it and clean it as prescribed by the manufacturer. We always used boiling water and a few drops of dish detergent. I think the hotter the water, the better it works. After the barrel cools, a moderately Bore Butter patch gets run down several times and a good rust inhibitive lubricant wiped on the externals.

Said all that to say this....last spring I got the 'Gade out to do some shooting with my daughter for the first time after about a 7-8 year hiatus. I ran a lightly buttered patch down the bore to see how it fared over a half dozen years of idle time and it came back with only the slightest hint of color to it. I think the Bore Butter works pretty good if used as directed after proper cleaning techniques specific to BP/Pyrodex.

As to the OPs barrel, I would start with a fresh cleaning routine using hot hot hot water with a bit of dish detergent, lightly butter the bore, run a pipe cleaner through the touch-hole and shoot it some.

after reading some of these post one would think pyrodex will rot your barrel even after you clean the rifle but BP hardly does any harm that is opposite from what I have seen

I never, EVER buy a used weapon w/o really scrutinizing the bore. Its an easy and fast check: Bore condition is the real revelation on how the previous owner treated his weapon. I would take the lock apart and see how bad its ate up, A person that cant swab a barrel, doesnt clean the hard to get to parts

BP can be super corrosive as can be seen

Once rust takes hold, its a constant battle to keep under control

Myself I would take it back asap ads see if you can get your bucks back

I never mentioned stainless or Pyrodex, so not sure why you would think you were arguing with me I don’t know.

You brought up a couple of topics in your post that I can comment on. Recently removed a stainless barrel from a modern muzzleloader for someone at a club I belong to. The gentleman only used Pyrodex with non-traditional projectiles. With a bore light everything looked perfect, however, his accuracy and loading ease recently went south. He ask me to take a look. My borescope showed a few miles of bad road in his barrel, kind of like a corn cob. I removed it for him and will install his new $500 plus barrel when it arrives. Guessing the new barrel will rot like the original, as he will continue to use Pyrodex and clean with original formula Hoppe’s 9.

Point is, without a borescope, this STAINLESS STEEL barrel appears shiny and in great condition, but with a borescope……. The barrel now sits in my collection of tomato stake candidates, though I may make use of it as a gun barrel, but not without some serious bore work.
View attachment 158811View attachment 158812
View attachment 158813
I will take your tomato stake Sir. I will pay for the shipping.

From a previous post of mine. Barrel circa 1992. both BP and P-Dex used. When your,e done just clean the darned thing! Whipping a dead Horse!

Attachments

• 20220811_192223.jpg
    20220811_192223.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Picked up a used Cabala's Hawkin 50 cal a short time back. It went to the gun safe for storage. Drug it out last night to look down the barrel. And what might appear to be a mistake on my part I purchased a digital bore scope. If you think your barrels are clean you aught too peek down the bore with a scope. Anyway, what is this crud in the barrel. Worst towards the breech end. Appears to me a combo of some rust and bore lube? Anybody got any ideas on what this is. Either way I will attempt to clean it out. But some advice what to do here. Thanks.

UPDATE: I have added an image of about 1/2 hr of elbow grease and some JB Bore paste. Appears it is cleaning up. I see some pitting and more paste. Hope it all cleans up.

View attachment 158692View attachment 158739
I know exactly wat that is ive seen it everywhere boats, kitchens,barns
Gun barrels! ITS manure!
(😉OK , i think a little more scrubbing with maroon 3m will take care of that)

If you went over miss america with a bore camera (on the outside) you would puke and run home

I will take your tomato stake Sir. I will pay for the shipping.
One man’s trash……. Actually had a couple of unsolicited offers, though I’m not interested in moving it down the road right now. Takes up little room and I have a few ideas for it. Figure it would clean up to maybe a 54 caliber or so. Could become multiple pistol or canon barrels. Not in any hurry.

My point was not really about Pyrodex, it was more about the BoreButter you mentioned. However several here claim Pyrodex will harm a barrel faster than real black. In your pics, it appears as though your gentleman has a Remington that he cleaned with Hoppes. My gentleman only cleaned with BoreButter. I'm sure if you used a borescope it would show some pitting. However it has to be minimal as the rifle still shoots great. And whatever build of BoreButter does not seem to be hurting anything. I would never recommend that anyone do what he does, but maybe T/C knew something with all those commercials that claimed 1000 shots without cleaning if you used BoreButter.

edit- I should add that I think what he does with Pyrodex and BoreButter is beyond dumb. And I'm sure the ss barrel has helped in this regard SOME, but he has gotten away with it so far.
Those who claim 1000 shots without cleaning never shot in sub freezing temperatures. If you can get three rounds down the barrel when that cold, it is a miracle

Back