• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Strange Blunderbuss

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silentbob

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi, it's me again..
i got another gun i can't find anything out about. is it even original?

i hope you can tell me more about it...

http://pho.to/4jt2W

i hope it is at least original.. but anyway it's a beauty.. i havn’t got it yet, so i can’t tell you more that it’s about 86cm long, and has a 2,5cm barrel which becomes about 5cm wide...

thanks a lot

best regards

silentbob

My gut feeling...
Middle eastern tourist souvenir, maybe Turkish made in the 20th Century.
Mid East guns are not my interest so maybe someone else will chime in.

SB:
You gotta talk American, what the hell is a cm? :rotf: Nice piece, You in Canada? Might be considered a pistol, better send it to me before the RCMP knock on your door!
Nit Wit

54ball said:
My gut feeling...
Middle eastern tourist souvenir, maybe Turkish made in the 20th Century.
Mid East guns are not my interest so maybe someone else will chime in.
Believe it's the issue gun for the Turkish hareem! :wink: :rotf:

Seriously, I have no idea but it looks like somebody took a pile of old parts and had some fum. The lock started out on a M.1777 or later French musket but got rewelded and reshaped to give it that swept down look. It certainly is unique! :shocked2:

Sorry if my english isn't the best, i'm from europe...

cm = centimeters
1cm = 2,54 inches

So far, so bad... hope that someone knows something more exact..

But thanks anyway!

Maybe you would say:

1 Inches = 2,54 cm

Cm (centimetres) is Metric measure used in Europe.

2,54 cm is an inches, 5cm is about 2 inches
Very large barrel !!

Souvenir gun from Turkey IMHO. I have seen a lot of these and they all had the same "patina" which is to say they are artificially aged. The lock is poorly made, the frizzen shows no sign of having been scraped by a flint and the barrel appears to be cast with cast-in engraving. I am pretty sure this gun was designed to attract tourist dollars.

Yea, you're right...

I don't hope it's really just a turkish remake...

Notice that the flintlock pan has been repaired by putting a peace of metal on it. Also the cock don't lock anymore.. and if you have a look at the other side of the lock, then you see that the wood is broken...

I can't beleave this happens with ripoffs....

Im pretty sure it is north African. The barrel has Islamic prayers on it. The frizzen was refaced with grooves which is Spanish. The lock being french had some added to it probably to fit the stock. I belive it was intended for the tourist trade but made from original parts. My penny and a half. I cant afford 2 cents.

Hey Nit:

Here's the measurements in inches. :)

... i havn’t got it yet, so i can’t tell you more that it’s about 86cm long (33.8 inches), and has a 2,5cm barrel(.984 inches) which becomes about 5cm wide (1.969 inches)

Hope that helps. :grin:

Shine said:
Im pretty sure it is north African. The barrel has Islamic prayers on it. The frizzen was refaced with grooves which is Spanish. The lock being french had some added to it probably to fit the stock. I belive it was intended for the tourist trade but made from original parts. My penny and a half. I cant afford 2 cents.

Groove on the frizzen face don't make it Spanish.... the Italians grooved frizzens and so did the Turks on their version of the Miqulet locks.... there is a lot of fantasy going on with this gun as far as overall shape.... I am interested to see what the lock works look like just a suspicion but it might be a back action lock.....
408779168.jpg

The plate looks like it may be cast out of brass... and I am not sure it was ever drilled and tapped for the frizzen spring screw.... the holes look closed up like they might be left over in the casting.....

I am certainly not an expert on antique guns but I do know that there are some folks out there who can fake an antique well enough to fool some museums. :idunno: When buying an antique gun, especially one that has a significant value to it, it is always a case of caveat emptor :hmm: (Let The Buyer Beware). Like old Davie Crockett used to say "Be sure you're right and then go ahead."

:hmm: Hmmmm.......I've been looking at these photos for quite a while now. This is a tough one to identify. From the evidence so far, it looks like it was made for the Tourist market. But the origin is a real mystery here. :idunno:
As mentioned above, a view of the inside of the lock would tell us more. The crude engraving does look like it was cast in the barrel. As well, there does not appear to be a breech plug associated with the barrel tang. Looks like the lock is held in place with only one lock screw. With the side plate using two wood screws. The overall assembly has that distinct look of a Tourist gun with all the short cuts to assemble.
However, I don't believe it is Ottoman/Turkish. I believe we might have three possiblites here:

1. A Victorian Era copy. But I don't think so. All these copies had a definite European look to them.
2. A Spanish made Tourist gun from the 1950's to early 1960's. But again, I don't think so.
3. My best guess is that this is Afghan made for the Tourist market, maybe as far back as the 1960's ? The miss-match of styles and parts lead me to believe this.

It's certainly one of the more unusual Tourist guns I've ever seen. Ever since the U.S. involvement in Afghanistan these Tourist guns seem to be cropping up all over at various Web-Sites, Auctions, and gun shows.
My two cents worth. Thanks for posting! Rick. :hatsoff:

ricky said:
:hmm: Hmmmm.......I've been looking at these photos for quite a while now. This is a tough one to identify. From the evidence so far, it looks like it was made for the Tourist market. But the origin is a real mystery here. :idunno:
As mentioned above, a view of the inside of the lock would tell us more. The crude engraving does look like it was cast in the barrel. As well, there does not appear to be a breech plug associated with the barrel tang. Looks like the lock is held in place with only one lock screw. With the side plate using two wood screws. The overall assembly has that distinct look of a Tourist gun with all the short cuts to assemble.
However, I don't believe it is Ottoman/Turkish. I believe we might have three possiblites here:

1. A Victorian Era copy. But I don't think so. All these copies had a definite European look to them.
2. A Spanish made Tourist gun from the 1950's to early 1960's. But again, I don't think so.
3. My best guess is that this is Afghan made for the Tourist market, maybe as far back as the 1960's ? The miss-match of styles and parts lead me to believe this.

It's certainly one of the more unusual Tourist guns I've ever seen. Ever since the U.S. involvement in Afghanistan these Tourist guns seem to be cropping up all over at various Web-Sites, Auctions, and gun shows.
My two cents worth. Thanks for posting! Rick. :hatsoff:

I totally agree. This item is a 100% frawk. Trust me on this one.

tac

But if you contact the seller I'm sure he will give you the "I've been doing this for 30 years" speech. Then tell him you have a diamond that hasn't been rated for weight, clarity or cut but assure him you've been doing this for 30 years. Does he want to buy it?

btech said:
But if you contact the seller I'm sure he will give you the "I've been doing this for 30 years" speech. Then tell him you have a diamond that hasn't been rated for weight, clarity or cut but assure him you've been doing this for 30 years. Does he want to buy it?

I'm opening myself to flaming here, I know, but can't anyone just SEE that this thing is a POJ?

Just compare it with ANY genuine example of the genre. Even the lowest quality [ie. military contract] arms of the day were made by hand by people whose livelihood depended on a good job well-done.

tac

Back