straight razor shaving

Discussion in 'Accoutrements' started by JOHN F, Jan 24, 2017.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Oct 5, 2017 #61

Artificer

Artificer

Artificer

Cannon MLF Supporter

My Grandpa, a WWI Veteran, shaved with a straight razor for all his 96 years. I still have his strop, though it is no longer serviceable.

I am truly enjoying this thread, though the idea of using a straight razor is too much for me. I have dozens of "purple hearts" from using the old two edge "safety" razors on Active Duty, so I shaved with a modern razor out of the historic area when I did living history or reenactments. :haha:

Gus

2. Oct 6, 2017 #62

Wes/Tex

Wes/Tex

Wes/Tex

Cannon

Anyone can do it...just go slow till you get teh feel of it.

3. Oct 10, 2017 #63

walks with gun

walks with gun

walks with gun

40 Cal.

This talk of straight razors gave me a fantastic idea for rendezvous competition. Say each team has maybe six members, you shoot, race down the line and get a shave from a team mate who runs back shoots the gong and receives a shave from the next team mate and so on till everyone on the team has had a shave with the straight razor and the gong has been hit the appropriate number of times. What could possibly go wrong here. Shaving against the clock.

4. Oct 10, 2017 #64

Cruzatte

Cruzatte

Cruzatte

50 Cal.

Well that won't be the fastest of timed events! :haha:

5. Oct 10, 2017 #65

Kansas Jake

Kansas Jake

Kansas Jake

54 Cal.

Well, on my team, I would want 5 professional barbers skilled in straight razor shaving whether they were good shooters or not. I would be the last in the relay. :grin:

6. Nov 11, 2017 #66

csitas

csitas

csitas

36 Cal.

I really like "Stophel" here. At least he's honest.

7. Nov 11, 2017 #67

Billnpatti

Billnpatti

Billnpatti

Cannon

I never had the guts to try using a straight razor. I was afraid of opening up a jugular vein in the process. Long, long ago when I was doing Civil War reenacting, I used to take my safety razor, pan of hot water, towel and can of modern shave cream inside my tent and close the flaps until I was done. Then, I would apply more lather to my face and go outside where I could be seen and use a straight razor with a blade that was not quite as sharp as a butter knife to scrape off the lather from my already shaved face. It looked good and no one was injured in the creation of this scene. Was it truly authentic? Hell no but I lived to fight another day.....and that's what counted in my books. :hmm:

8. Nov 11, 2017 #68

Wes/Tex

Wes/Tex

Wes/Tex

Cannon

:wink: :haha:
    It's not really as dangerous as it appears though. Just remember to have a good wet lather and pull the skin tight so it doesn't roll up ahead of the blade edge...that's how you get cut. It'll take 15 minutes the first couple times because of natural caution but with practice and confidence it'll go much quicker. Just pay attention. You can't carry on two conversations and play checkers at the same time! :thumbsup:

9. Nov 28, 2017 #69

TXFlynHog

TXFlynHog

TXFlynHog

40 Cal.

Guess I'll chime in here and admit that I've been strait-razor shaving for over a year now. Prior to that I started with Double Edge (DE) razors too. With proper technique and high quality soaps, I find both techniques superior to modern disposable razors, with much less razor rash or ingrown hairs. I have very thick facial hair and used to get ingrown hairs often. Since moving to straight razors I rarely have any issues. Plus... it's just cool as heck to revive these ancient relics!

10. Nov 29, 2017 #70

Rick Boylan

Rick Boylan

Rick Boylan

45 Cal.

:hatsoff:

11. Dec 9, 2017 #71

JOHN F

JOHN F

JOHN F

40 Cal.

it is very relaxing and I have no wife or kid although my kitties and dog occasionally visit me during a shave. patience,good lather and good stropping seem to be the best. it is amazing how close it can get..

12. Dec 9, 2017 #72

JOHN F

JOHN F

JOHN F

40 Cal.

the bladesmith that makes them is scott Summerville or summerlotte? he sells them 50 to 60 $ cheaper then townsend. I had it in about 3 days.. hope this helps,,

13. Dec 9, 2017 #73

Coot

Coot

Coot

69 Cal. MLF Supporter

Scott Summerville "Knifemaker to the Illinois Country". I generally see him at Martin's Station. His blades are hard to resist.

14. Dec 10, 2017 #74

jrmflintlock

jrmflintlock

jrmflintlock

45 Cal.

Still have not heard if the razor Townsend sells is a good one to spend $$$ on. I know Straight Razor Design has good ones but they don't make a HC one. I cannot afford multiple $100 razors. So I'm still trying to do research. If Townsend's are no good I'll get a more modern one but I would rather spend my $$$ on a HC one.

I can't find Scott Sommerville on line. Does anyone have his contact info??

Thanks for the help!!

15. Dec 10, 2017 #75

zimmerstutzen

zimmerstutzen

zimmerstutzen

70 Cal.

I tried using a straight razor once. No stitches required, but I looked like I lost a fight with a stray cat.

16. Dec 11, 2017 #76

Cruzatte

Cruzatte

Cruzatte

50 Cal.

This discussion inspired me to get out my old Wade & Butcher (a rather unfortunate name for a famous English cutlery firm) last Saturday night. Yessir, best shave I've had in weeks.

17. Dec 12, 2017 #77

Coot

Coot

Coot

69 Cal. MLF Supporter

Scott Summerville 8655 Garrett Rd., Alma, IL 62807
    summerville1757@yahoo.com

18. Dec 12, 2017 #78

MSW

MSW

MSW

Cannon MLF Supporter

Mr. Sommerville's work looks very nice. I have been using a Hart Steel straight for about the last three years (maybe 2 1/2?) and couldn't be happier ... mine was a bit pricier than your budget. to see what's available, look at "sraightrazors" dot "com" and put "hart razor" into their internal search engine ... you're in the $160 range, more or less. the 'pro sharpening' in an excellent investment - also, get the nicest strop you can afford ... makes a huge difference.

welcome to the (only) slightly eccentric works of straight razor shavers ... you can tell a fellow straight user if you know how to look ... we're the ones who are just a little bit more 'cool' than the poor fellows who have been brainwashed into using cheap pot metal and disposable plastic.

19. Dec 12, 2017 #79

jrmflintlock

jrmflintlock

jrmflintlock

45 Cal.

Thanks Guys!!

20. Dec 15, 2017 #80

Rick Boylan

Rick Boylan

Rick Boylan

45 Cal.

:hatsoff: