• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

straight razor shaving

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vomir le Chien said:
I was told by a Barber ,they taught how to shave in Barber School by practicing on a ballon,Put the shaving cream on it and then "shave" it off.
I have a couple of razors ,just never had the desire to try them out,,

I remember reading about this in Life magazine, must have been 60 years ago. It was, IIRC, on the last page of the mag, a photography feature back when Life was a big thing. I was too young to shave, but the photos of lather flying about as the balloons burst left a lasting memory.

I'm pretty sure this was before shaving cream or lather was in a can.

I've always wanted a "neckless" wedge 18th century type razor. Every now and then I see a pre-1850 razor of this form on ebay, but I've never laid down the cash for one.

I have two or three razors, but only one that I can get sharp enough to shave with (and it does a fair job.... still not close to what I can do, MUCH faster with a disposable razor from the dollar store...). It does well enough to keep my neck from itching from a beard, without hurting my face... too much.
razor_zpsragmapdo.jpg

It's a Wostenholm Pipe Brand razor with black horn handles (which still smell like horn, even after 120 years). I got it at an antique shop for $40 a couple years ago.

Two things about shaving with a straight razor:
1. It needs to be a good quality razor and it needs to be S H A R P. Beyond sharp. I mean atom-splitting sharp. Take great care in sharpening and stropping it. You won't have to sharpen it often, but you will have to strop it OFTEN.

2. Patience. This, I do NOT have. I find shaving with a straight razor to be exceptionally tedious, involved, and time consuming. I guess I'm glad I know how to do it, but I'd rather eat a booger than shave with a straight razor... :grin:

This is the model I bought. It might seem a little expensive but you have to remember that if you take care of it and keep it sharp, it will last you a lifetime.
https://straightrazordesigns.com/p...rpened-dovo-best-quality-black-5-8-1-2-hollow

I love the Straight Razor Design site. Many of their razors I can't afford, but they also sell everything else needed to keep your razor honed and your shaving kit stocked.

One thing I like about them is if you buy your razor from them they will professionally hone it sharper than necessary. Most online sites just sell them "shave ready" but these guys sharpen it so sharp that it is no effort to shave with it.

The thing I forgot to include in my shaving lesson is that you want to make sure not to press the razor hard against the skin. It should be a light touch to the skin. Believe me, it will remove the hair.

I tried to buy older used razors and some lower quality ones and use them but they are hard to get sharp and dangerous to use. I'd rather spend a little on a quality razor and forget those low cost junk razors.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found a decent one at a thrift shop several years ago and used it for a while, but it got jumbled up in boxes during my last move and by the time I found it again... well, I just haven't got around to using it again.

Anyway, as others have said, after a shower is the best time to shave.

I used to use Williams soap, but I switched to Van Der Hagen as it seemed to hold a lather longer before drying out.

Best of luck in your endeavor :hatsoff:

Hey guys , this is what I wanted help and encouragement to try this new endeavor. I think that it will obviously be a learning curve but it is something that would have been done in the 18 th century. No better way than to hone your impression then to do this in camp. I may think differently if I am asking you guys for a type and cross for a transfusion!!!😁😁😳😳 As I always told patients when I did Intervetional procedures, all bleeding stops eventually😲😲😃thanks for all the responses guys .

Notice the razors cost $80-$90. You can buy $15 razors but they are impossible to hone and pretty much junk.

You will sure need a styptic pencil. Most all drug stores have them. They sting like hell but they do stop the bleeding from nicks and small cuts.

I'm too damned old to try to start learning a new (to me) procedure like shaving with a straight razor. I want to keep as much blood inside me as possible so I use a reproduction of an original 18th Century electric razor. :haha:

Flies Only said:
I may think differently if I am asking you guys for a type and cross for a transfusion!!!😁😁😳😳 As I always told patients when I did Intervetional procedures, all bleeding stops eventually😲😲😃thanks for all the responses guys .

If you're ever in camp with me, O+

I confess that I have been wanting to do this, though most folks shave when they get up in the morning, and most of the events that I attend people are chopping wood and cooking coffee, and trying to get both eyes to sync-up to be impressed with me shaving with a proper razor.

Still..., Townsend offers a proper shaped razor (the hollow ground type being 19th century), so my excuse of not using one that's "not authentic if I'm going to nick myself up for the public" is now gone. :shocked2:

So I shall probably have to get one, and a proper stone and strop, plus a mug and soap..., oh and a mirror.

:grin:

LD

there are a ton of good vids on u- tube regarding the ins and outs of straight razor use. ... i have used one for years and have yet to cut myself (the occasional nick doesn't count). i've never used a styptic pencil - we have some powder for the livestock if it's that big a deal ... don't shave while impaired (i.e. sleep deprived) ...

it's another addition to my many eccentricities: i shave with a straight razor, i write letters with a fountain pen, i can operate a standard transmission, my camera uses film, and (of course) my favorite rifle has a bit of rock in it ...

if you don't mind a bit of sticker shock, i would recommend Hart razors: all american made, and made by one craftsman start to finish, with no mystery metal, and cryo treated ... i like the mountain man brand of strop - -also made in america, by one guy, and really nice quality ...

enjoy!

guys thanks for all the tips , advice and possible blood donors! I thank you all, got to get proficient with it before trying it in camp..

UPDATE,, got three shaves in no major blood loss yet. can not get the chin area for damn. it does feel like it is tugging a touch. it will shave my arms and legs nicely but not as much on the face. I think it may need better stropping than I can do yet. I practiced on the arms and legs before going to the facial region. wish it shaved a little better but I think that may be user error right now,will let you all know

The strop is the key, I can shave with my field knife simply because of the edge put on with the strop.

get some honing paste and put it on the cloth strop side. Get it nice and rubbed in and then run the razor over it about 10 - 20 times each side. Just like you would if you were stropping it.
Clean off any paste on the blade and then strop it as you would normally. One thing I do is run my bare hand over the leather strop until some of my hand oils work into the leather. Then I strop my razor 20 - 40 times.
That makes my blade sharp enough to shave with no dragging or hitches from my whiskers.

When you buy from most sellers, they will say the razor is "shave ready" but it may not be as sharp as needed. That's why it sometimes needs to be honed to get it as sharp as possible.

mcsteinscamp said:
I found a decent one at a thrift shop several years ago and used it for a while, but it got jumbled up in boxes during my last move and by the time I found it again... well, I just haven't got around to using it again.

:hatsoff:

Be aware that a "used" razor can transmit the HIV/AIDS Virus and several other nasty infections. As a surgeon, I wouldn't recommend a used razor unless it was sterilized and proper sterilization is not that easy. The danger is increased if a razor is shared as the contaminated material is fresh. Personally, I wouldn't use a "used" razor.

My camp razor is an orginal c. 1820's wedge I picked up. Shaving in camp is very doable, just keep boiling water nearby and be sure to do a good job of prepping your face with that water.

IMG_3433.jpg

Shaving.jpg

1390567_10151891294987023_307790035_n_zps5acbba02.jpg

1380565_10151891295047023_392827391_n_zps984d1da0.jpg

1378263_10151891295262023_198527927_n_zps281e2e20.jpg

Back