• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Storage of BP

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I need to know where and what kind of containers you use to store your BP. Without the fear of blowing up your house, in case of fire or other mishaps?

I store mine in the chicken house. No electric or heat sources. For daily use I just keep mine in the origonal cans in the shop. As long as it is kept dry, not exposed to heat over 150 degrees F, it will keep forever. I am always suprised by people who worry about storing black powder which stays where you put it. But do't worry about paint thinner, lacqour thinner, etc which will evaporate and spread out and is just as explosive.

Ditto the search as Rifleman1776 points out, should be somewhere around 1,000 pages of how and where to store it. No need to have another 56 pages here.

I need to know where and what kind of containers you use to store your BP. Without the fear of blowing up your house, in case of fire or other mishaps?
My powder is stored in the factory cans placed into an insulated cooler. That cooler, is placed in another insulated cooler. The larger cooler is stored in my garage under a table, with both lids not latched. Having the lids latched makes a bomb! Omaha allows up to 20 pounds stored in a residence.

Larry

Without the fear of blowing up your house, in case of fire or other mishaps?
As others have mentioned there's many threads of the topic.
BP changes character in a house fire,, usually "temperature" increases before "flame" is exposed to the bottle. The "heating" changes the sulfur composition of the powder so basically once flame actually reaches the powder itself, the stuff will just go"poof" and not go "Boom".
So given that, the safest place is on the floor in a corner of a closet,, an area that is least likely to have open flame.
You can build a box with 2x4's that jugs fit snugly in, with a loose 2x4 lid,, "Flame" has to eat through the 2x4 to reach the powder.
In a conversation with a local Fire Chief years ago (a childhood friend) he said "We don't worry about it". I was surprised, he went on to explain that Aerosol cans of spray paint or hair spray cause more safety issues for them than powder and ammo, BP or Nitro,,
When I told him I keep mine in old GI ammo cans on the floor in a closet, he said "Perfect location. You can't beat old reliable".

Last edited:
As others have mentioned there's many threads of the topic.
BP changes character in a house fire,, usually "temperature" increases before "flame" is exposed to the bottle. The "heating" changes the sulfur composition of the powder so basically once flame actually reaches the powder itself, the stuff will just go"poof" and not go "Boom".
<snip>
When I told him I keep mine in old GI ammo cans on the floor in a closet, he said "Perfect location. You can't beat old reliable".
Except in those ammo cans, the "poof" is trapped in a steel box and can easily become a "boom!" A shoebox would serve you better.

Except in those ammo cans, the "poof" is trapped in a steel box and can easily become a "boom!" A shoebox would serve you better.
The cans used for containing BP are soldered and are designed to burse at the seams. I keep my BP (safely stored) in a ATF approved steel box that is also designed to burst at the seams. If this were a problem, the ATF would not allow it. In my opinion, a wood storage box can possibly throw splinters, where metal will burst at the seams, as previously mentioned.

The cans used for containing BP are soldered and are designed to burse at the seams. I keep my BP (safely stored) in a ATF approved steel box that is also designed to burst at the seams. If this were a problem, the ATF would not allow it. In my opinion, a wood storage box can possibly throw splinters, where metal will burst at the seams, as previously mentioned.
Wood will burn thru before the powder ignites. If there was a danger of it exploding as you describe, then NY would not have specified using wood boxes for powder storage.

This isn't a topic for opinions, but for facts.

Back