• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Storage and shooting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoodRabbitPilgrim

Do Not Live in America
Reaction score
Just wanted to get an understanding from the folks here on how they manage their percussion rifles. I don't want my barrel and breech to rust but I also don't want misfires due to excessive oil trapped in there.

What is your method for storing and then preparing to shoot?

I use a lot of oil. G92 or Liquid Film. I like them both. I will squirt a liberal amount down the bore and also use a oiled patch. I will store them muzzle up, with a patch over the nipple with the hammer down. The patch will catch any oil that works its way out of the bore.

Time to shoot, I will run a dry patch down the bore, and pop off a couple of caps. No miss fires.

A couple of weeks ago I shot a couple of rifles that I had not used in 14 years. Ran a dry patch, popped some caps and both worked as they should.

Fleener

I use a lot of oil. G92 or Liquid Film. I like them both. I will squirt a liberal amount down the bore and also use a oiled patch. I will store them muzzle up, with a patch over the nipple with the hammer down. The patch will catch any oil that works its way out of the bore.

Time to shoot, I will run a dry patch down the bore, and pop off a couple of caps. No miss fires.

A couple of weeks ago I shot a couple of rifles that I had not used in 14 years. Ran a dry patch, popped some caps and both worked as they should.

Fleener

Thank you sir, still getting the swing of these sidelocks.

I store my just cleaned gun muzzle down for a day or so, run a clean patch down the bore to get the drained oil and follow up with a patch soaked in Barricade.

Pre loading I pop a cap or two with the rod down the muzzle with a clean patch on it. The patch catches any crud that come out of the flash chamber and keeps it out of the breech.

Clean and lubricate, not excessively in the bore. My guns are stored horizontally. Prior to shooting I run a dry patch to remove oil. Pop a cap or two on percussion guns. Flint I load and shoot. I usually shoot every two weeks, sometimes a month, so my guns do not go long periods in storage.

Just wanted to get an understanding from the folks here on how they manage their percussion rifles. I don't want my barrel and breech to rust but I also don't want misfires due to excessive oil trapped in there.

What is your method for storing and then preparing to shoot?
I use oil for coating the barrel/nipple/drum area. When I am finished with the clean and oil, all my guns are stored horizontal. Day of shooting, dry patch or two and then 4 or 5 caps. Load and shoot. Flintlocks are oiled and stored similar.

On my last flush with clean water I had just a little Ballistol. It's just enough to leave a very slight coating in the breech channel. I then use a little bear grease in the bore to protect it. When ready to shoot again I squirt a little alcohol in the breech with nipple removed and slosh it around to dry up any Ballistol left. I probably don't need to do that but do anyway. It just takes a minute. I don't do anything to the bore as far as removing the bear grease because it's my patch lube too and I don't use that much when I coated the bore. I'll then shoot a couple of caps and then load it up and shoot.

This took longer to type than do it. I never ever have a slow or misfire. Never seen any sign of rust either. So, right or wrong it seems to work.

Clean - and oil everything. inside and outside. There will not be any rust.
I stand them up on the muzzle on a shop rag for a few days. Some will run out of the muzzle. That's the excess.
On the percussions - Before taking them out I'll run patch or 2 with MAP or Windex and wipe dry. Dribble a bit of MAP into the nipple and blow it clean with compressed air.
I'll do almost the same with the flints - varies a little because some of my flints have a chambered (or patent) style breach and some don't.
You will find what works best for you - as you can see there are many opinions on how to do the task you asked about.
The right way is the way that works for you.

I clean with hot to warm water, then follow with an alcohol soaked patch, then by two dry patches, then oiled patch, store with the muzzle below the breech, When ready to shoot I run an alcohol patch in and out, set off two caps, then load and shoot.

Back