• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I can’t get my Whitworth’s bore truly clean

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TFoley
My first contact with Kroil was as a 4yr. I stuck a rag soaked in it in my mouth my dad was using to wipe a fishing reel down. I don't recall the taste as much as the huge man yanking that rag out of my hands and mouth. I'm 70 now. A poor man Kroil is a mixture of acetone and transmission fluid (Dextron) 50/50.
Kno-ie

Last edited:
I clean with a 75/25 mix of water and Ballistol, followed by dry patches and Hoppes #9.
I check it the next day and repeat the Hoppes patches. I do it again 2 days later, and if no gremlins, a good gun oil patch.
Straight water, hot or cold with or without detergent, does not touch my barrels.
I no longer have rust issues.

Thank you for your advice about avoiding emery paper in the bore. I didn’t think it would be harmful, since a Whitworth is actually a smooth bore with a twist.

I’ll persevere with the 0000 steel wool.

I suppose you are correct, in a manner of speaking, but the rifling, however it is formed, spirals, and that makes it a rifle. In any case, your so-called 'smooth-bore' STILL has critical dimensions that would be affected by using a carbide-based abrasive -with every stroke you give it. Use the pan scouring pads if you must - but don't make a habit of it. It is still an abrasive.

My Whitworth bore - made in 1980 - still looks like brand-new. Mind you, it has never had anything abrasive down it.

Widows Son
If I may suggest try using Bronze wool or the Green scrub pads. You've noted in the past that there was some pitting in the area just above the breech plug. Using 0000 steel wool is known to break down in use. Those tiny bits may very well be pushed into the pits causing a false positive when they to turn to rust.
The area above the breech plug that is pitted is in constant bombardment of hot gases, trapped moisture and fouling build up. After cleaning I'd plug the nipple and use a product like Kroil and fill that area and let it soak for a day or two. After lubing the bore on my barrels I soak a patch in Kroil and leave it in the bore for a day or two then go back and wipe the bore with fresh patches of Kroil. I've had good luck using this method. For long terms storage I use a product call Fluid Film.
Good luck, Kno-ie
Thank you my friend

Back